Picking up a '95 900SS Sunday - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2019, 11:46 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevedkitten View Post
Does anyone know what cans those are? There's no markings and I don't know enough about the bike to tell if it's a full system or just cans.
Looks like OEM system. Pipes look quite a bit like the later Ferracci pipes without the rivet holes for the Ferracci badge. Like below, but without the rivet holes and badge:

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2019, 9:53 am

Garage
Great price for a early CR it looks to be mostly there. Not sure on the cans, not termi or giacamoto (duc performance for you youngsters). Ferracci re-badged everyone else's pipes , they are period correct as I do remember them just not a name yet.

Nice you got the showa forks as they can work well with a set of springs and gold valves.
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2019, 10:24 am

OEM headers and not Yoshimura end cans. I have those and yours look a bit different. They don't look like D&D either.

I fit a Fox shock on my bike from flea-bay. Might have a look there.

'96 900SS/CR;'94 Honda NSR250R/SP; '93 NSR250R/SE; '02 Yamaha WR426; '07 Aprilia RXV450

post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2019, 12:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannaduc View Post
Looks like OEM system. Pipes look quite a bit like the later Ferracci pipes without the rivet holes for the Ferracci badge. Like below, but without the rivet holes and badge:
We saw those last nights, but I noticed their riveted bands have relief cuts in them and mine doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducvet View Post
Great price for a early CR it looks to be mostly there. Not sure on the cans, not termi or giacamoto (duc performance for you youngsters). Ferracci re-badged everyone else's pipes , they are period correct as I do remember them just not a name yet.

Nice you got the showa forks as they can work well with a set of springs and gold valves.
Forks will be rebuilt with new springs & gold valves from Racetech once I have some scratch. We will probably end up replacing the rear shock with either an Ohlins or a Nitron, but that will come way after doing the front since it's pricey.

Right now the focus is one carbs, chain & sprockets, a new clutch, tires and the forks. Once those are done the bike should be running and ride-able. My wife is handling the paint and seat, we'll be cleaning up all the wear & tear on the plastics & the frame.

As of last night the tank is disconnected but not removed, belts were checked and seem to be ok, I will check them more thoroughly as the project progresses. The airbox should come out tonight provided my wife gets me some more bins for parts today.

82 CM200T(Basket case), 04 DRZ 400SM (sold, best bike ever), 01 VFR800 (went kablooey), 09 Concours 14 (RIP - nobody needs coffee that badly), 15 Multistrada, 95 900SS
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Just incase you missed it, be very careful getting the fuel hose off of the tank shutoff. My hoses were very brittle and I broke the head off it when I tried to remove the hose. Fortunately, I found a NOS one on eBay.
I replaced all the old gas hoses with new stock - bought from my local JD dealer.
ducvet likes this.

1995 900 SS SP #001 (now sold - again)
1975 860 GT (sold - but got me hooked)
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2019, 1:47 pm Thread Starter

Luckily he seems to have had that done just before it was parked. All of the hoses with the exception of the "dreinage" hose looked almost new.

I recommend you get yourself a set of angle picks from Harbor Freight, the black handles not the orange. I slide a pick in and just use it to work around the nipple while gently pulling the hose. Even ancient hoses will pop off easily that way. I have spent more than my fair share of time cussing hoses and this changed my life.

82 CM200T(Basket case), 04 DRZ 400SM (sold, best bike ever), 01 VFR800 (went kablooey), 09 Concours 14 (RIP - nobody needs coffee that badly), 15 Multistrada, 95 900SS
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2019, 3:03 pm

Good thoughts!
I used a heat gun set on the lowest setting to warm the lines up. It was below freezing so not something needed in CA!!

1995 900 SS SP #001 (now sold - again)
1975 860 GT (sold - but got me hooked)
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2019, 3:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally home View Post
Good thoughts!
I used a heat gun set on the lowest setting to warm the lines up. It was below freezing so not something needed in CA!!
Hey it got cold here once. It was like 30 degrees for 5 minutes!
Bravo51 likes this.

post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2019, 11:29 pm Thread Starter

Ok, so a little progress tonight. I started working on stripping the bike and making sure my storage and organization is in order. I got the tank off and stowed safely. We'll handle old gas removal this weekend. I started working on plastics removal but got a badly corroded well nut on the lower cross brace that was seized. I was able to get the SoB loose without doing any damage to bodywork, but it ate most of my night.

We splurged a little early and I ordered some paint for the tank and plastics. I've got to figure out if I want to strip the frame and have it re-coated or if I just want to touch up any rough spots and let it roll a while longer. We'll try a few tricks and see what it looks like after some minor cleanup. So far I haven't found any cracks, the bike only has 29k and change on it and I promise the guy I got ti from wasn't pulling wheelies.

Enough talk, Pics!

post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2019, 8:43 am

Garage
1995 is a bad year for the cracking frames, remove the tank latch and inspect around the welds carefully. If it is not cracked and not a replacement frame already (you can tell under the latch mount) then I would NOT paint/powder the frame at this time unless you get the mounts re-welded. I have never had a frame welded before it broke but I am sure it could be done, bracing would also be a option but is not necessary from what i have seen.

Dont forget to check the cylinder head studs, just see if you can spin any by hand and do NOT try and tighten any. If chrome looking they are strong but brittle, if you take the motor apart plan on changing them all. If they are a blackish color you have the updated studs and they should be fine.

Quote:
belts were checked and seem to be ok, I will check them more thoroughly as the project progresses.
Break a belt and you lose the motor, not worth the risk since aftermarket belts are cheap. If you know when they were changed last (within 3 years 12000 miles) then that's one thing but if you do not know you are better safe than sorry.
Dukerdr and ifly65 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode