900ssie Headlight - Any good upgrades? HID? LED? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2019, 4:09 pm Thread Starter

900ssie Headlight - Any good upgrades? HID? LED?

The headlight on the or at least my) '99 900SS is horse sh_t! I don't even like to ride it at night due tot he headlight. The previous owner put a LED bult in it so it does have the current very white light but other than that it's useless.

What is the suggested upgrade other than to go with a high output H4 bulb and re-wire using big gauge wire to the headlight with relay switching.

06 Ducati ST3s (in the rebuild process)
'99 Ducati 900ss (literally bone stock w/8k miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2019, 10:37 pm

Read all of this.There are many posts on this subject
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supe...ems-hi-lo.html

1999 Ducati 900SSie,1988 Honda NT650GT
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2019, 6:38 am

Garage
Ditch the LED, and go back to a high lumen output (60/55W +100) bulb for the short term. LED's put out great amounts of light, but finding a bulb that creates that light in JUST the right place to give an accurate beam for BOTH beams...

Other than that - yup, large gauge wires from the battery (including a heavy earth wire for the lights), a couple of relays, and maybe a 100/55W bulb (if you do lots of night riding in the country).

As an extra - you could go over all the bikes frame earthing points, sand them back to shiny, then a (very light) smear of vaseline and bolt back together.

'95 900 Superlight IV #064

Mods are: K&N filter, airbox lid on with rubber trumpets removed, MBP collets, full SMI (SilMoto Italia) spaghetti exhaust with 'open' carbon cans, 41mm FCR's - #182 mains!, Barnett alloy clutch basket, Oberon slave cylinder, Ohlins fork springs, Ohlins rear shock, Verlicchi swingarm.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2019, 11:40 am

Garage
headlight choices...

With a little work to the black frame, you can buy a 200mm rectangular Euro Hella headlight, which has way more light than the stock headlight without a 100w H4 bulb. Looks stock, easy to change the bulb, same three prong connector. I have added relays to the high and low beams so the connector does not melt. One can buy a better quality connector at NAPA, Autozone, etc...

Look up Susquehanna Motorsports. www.rallylights.com All shall be revealed....

Fred

pictures will follow....

1996 SS/SP B52 40k miles
MBP collets / 748 front rotors / 4.5" rear wheel / Sharkskins / Nichols frame bolts
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2019, 11:53 am

Garage
headlight choices

pictures of the Euro 200mm Hella headlight in Ducati black plastic frame, with aftermarket trim ring, holding things together.

900ssie Headlight - Any good upgrades? HID? LED?-headlight2.jpg

900ssie Headlight - Any good upgrades? HID? LED?-headlight3.jpg

900ssie Headlight - Any good upgrades? HID? LED?-headlight4.jpg

black tape added around edge to keep light inside.....

Fred

1996 SS/SP B52 40k miles
MBP collets / 748 front rotors / 4.5" rear wheel / Sharkskins / Nichols frame bolts
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2019, 5:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
Read all of this.There are many posts on this subject
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supe...ems-hi-lo.html
Yes, I saw that one and 2 or 3 other posts on this. I read them all. Very informative. Problem is those are focused on the Carby not on the FI if I read all correctly. I was hoping there would be something by someone with the 99+ FI version with the weird shaped headlight.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2019, 5:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredSmoot23 View Post
pictures of the Euro 200mm Hella headlight in Ducati black plastic frame, with aftermarket trim ring, holding things together.

Attachment 940409

Attachment 940411

Attachment 940413

black tape added around edge to keep light inside.....

Fred
Yeah, that headlight will not work in FI.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2019, 6:28 pm

Garage
headlight choices...

sorry for the wasted bandwidth. Too bad FI 99+ Ducatis have such poor lighting up front...

Fred

1996 SS/SP B52 40k miles
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2019, 8:21 pm
Excel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb64 View Post
Ditch the LED, and go back to a high lumen output (60/55W +100) bulb for the short term. LED's put out great amounts of light, but finding a bulb that creates that light in JUST the right place to give an accurate beam for BOTH beams...

Other than that - yup, large gauge wires from the battery (including a heavy earth wire for the lights), a couple of relays, and maybe a 100/55W bulb (if you do lots of night riding in the country).
I did the slave heavy wiring with a relay for each of high and low, plus another relay so both were off during cranking and it works well plus a decent Philips 60/55 bulb.
If I had known about them, I would have just bought an H4 kit from Eastern Beaver.

My son has just put a Narva LED in his MT07 and this kit has a remote ballast/driver.
He says it is amazing on high and low beam, so maybe they sorted it.
He has a spare that he will give to me next time we catch up, so I will try it without the slave wiring to see how it performs.

The problem with the SSie wiring is that it a long way from the battery to the bulb connector via a tortuous route, connectors and switches which results in a large voltage drop, combined with small CSA wiring.
The slave fixes that but in my home made version it is a bit of a rats nest under my tank.

Richard Collins - 2001 900SSie I have a 2 strike policy - 2 no responses from a poster = no more responses from me to any post by them. I have a good memory!

Last edited by Punch; Apr 9th, 2019 at 8:23 pm. Reason: typo
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2019, 11:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnDonner&Blitzen View Post
Yes, I saw that one and 2 or 3 other posts on this. I read them all. Very informative. Problem is those are focused on the Carby not on the FI if I read all correctly. I was hoping there would be something by someone with the 99+ FI version with the weird shaped headlight.
The projector install with the images I had posted was on my 1999 900SSie which I still have.I believe the pictures are on the third page.And just to add it is still working fine

1999 Ducati 900SSie,1988 Honda NT650GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in