Starter relay and spray clutch - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2019, 10:48 am Thread Starter

Garage
Starter relay and spray clutch

I've been a fool...

Long story short (for the long story -and how to avoid this mistake I made-) see below

I wrecked my starter relay by trying to start the bike for too long when the starter sprag clutch didn't work properly.
My question is about the starter relay:
I found three different part nr's and I found a webshop which has all three in stock. But there's a big difference in price between those three. So I wonder if they are all the same and will fit my 900SS...
These ones are advertised:

Part nr: 09070 Price: €17,56
Part nr: 39740011A Price: €30,40
Part nr: 048638460 Price: €185,64 (!!)

Anyone got any idea about the difference between these starter relays or an idea about this huge price difference?

Long story (and how to avoid making the same mistake as me)
My '97 900SS wouldn't start.
Battery fully charged, starter relay opening and closing just fine, starter motor working.
Problem is that the starter motor (at best) rotates the engine for just 1 compression stroke and then it starts running free. So it doesn't turn the engine over for more then one stroke. Sometimes it even doesn't do one compression stroke and it starts running without turning the engine over.
I should have stopped trying when I noticed that but I tried just too long. So at one point, the starter relay got stuck and I couldn't get the starter motor to stop running (kill switch, key,...). I assume the contacts in the relay are melted together because they heated up when I kept on trying to start the bike.
Luckily the bike was on it's paddock stand with the seat removed and the tank up so I could quickly disconnect the battery before the starter motor drained and killed the battery.

Some good advice: if you're bike wouldn't start because the starter motor doesn't turn your engine over: stop and fix the problem (which is probably the starter spray clutch). Don't keep trying and hoping that at one point the starter spray clutch will (magically) work again. It could ruin your starter relay. If the spring on the starter spray clutch is broken or stretched: look for an SKF 19778 oil seal. It has the same spring and is way cheaper then a whole new starter sprag clutch. (All credits to this forum and its users to point that SKF-fix out to me! Thanks guys and girls!!)

P.s. My spelling checker changed sprag into spray in the title. Can't edit it...

1997 Ducati 900 SS Full Fairing

Last edited by BelgianDuc900SS; Mar 26th, 2019 at 11:50 am. Reason: Writing error in title (can't edit the title...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2019, 9:15 am

Garage
I don't know what those part numbers translate to, but I replaced my starter solenoid some years back with one from a Yamaha. IIRC, purchased from CA Cycleworks. It's the same size as the OEM unit, but has different connectors which can either be cut and replaced, or an adaptor made up - DON'T just cut off the OEM plug from the wiring loom and change it, it has a (necessary) diode in it. Again, I can't remember what I paid for it, other than it was well cheaper than OEM.

'95 900 Superlight IV #064

Mods are: K&N filter, airbox lid on with rubber trumpets removed, MBP collets, full SMI (SilMoto Italia) spaghetti exhaust with 'open' carbon cans, 41mm FCR's - #182 mains!, Barnett alloy clutch basket, Oberon slave cylinder, Ohlins fork springs, Ohlins rear shock, Verlicchi swingarm.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2019, 1:19 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb64 View Post
I don't know what those part numbers translate to, but I replaced my starter solenoid some years back with one from a Yamaha. IIRC, purchased from CA Cycleworks. It's the same size as the OEM unit, but has different connectors which can either be cut and replaced, or an adaptor made up - DON'T just cut off the OEM plug from the wiring loom and change it, it has a (necessary) diode in it. Again, I can't remember what I paid for it, other than it was well cheaper than OEM.
I think I will go for Part nr: 39740011A @ 30,40. That will be 35 incl shipping. Sounds reasonable to me. And it's an OEM part so no cutting, soldering or replacing connectors needed.

Extra budget tip:
For those who use the 19778 SKF seal spring for their sprag clutch: I found 'em on rockauto.com for just $2,22. Looks like a bargain to me. Especially because shipping to Europe is only 5,5. So even for European customers it might be an interesting deal I guess.
The cheapest I found in Europe were all around 20 incl shipping...

1997 Ducati 900 SS Full Fairing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode