>2016 SSS Shopping; Help Appreciated - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By psyopper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2019, 10:42 pm Thread Starter

>2016 SSS Shopping; Help Appreciated

So I've fallen hard in lust with the new Supersports, and I've been lurking and reading and I'm ready to "come out" to you guys and solicit advice & input.

I really like the white color in photos, but have read that it sometimes appears grey; I will see the three colors in person before I buy, of course, but what experience has anyone had here?

In my title of this post, I used ">2016", meaning 2016 model year and newer. Is there another (better) way to denote the current series/generation/iteration of the SS?

That's all for now, TIA,
Tom

Edit: I now see tere's a forum for that (answers my last question above) :^)

Last edited by A8tomic; Mar 11th, 2019 at 11:11 pm. Reason: *derp*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2019, 1:46 am
SeŮor Member

There was a thread about the new SS and what people thought of it. Opinions were all over the place. I test rode one a few years ago. To me itís a very competent bike and certainly more comfortable than my old SS. I think it would make a great sport touring bike. Best you try one to see if itís what you want in a bike. And as for color, it has to be red, itís the fastest color.

1996 900 SS/SP #C25
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Special
2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2019, 6:04 am

Garage
Generally this forum is for the carb and fuel injected 2 valve air cooled bikes built from '89 - 07. There's a whole other forum dedicated to the *new* Supersport 939: https://www.ducatisupersport939.net/forum/ I'm not a fan of fracturing the forum user base, it seems like the forum is the same ownership as this one, but there it is. There's a ton of info over there including a multipage fanatical thread about the best color. I'll tell you now that Red is the fastest color, Rosso Corsa is the color of all Italian motor racing, there's a reason you'll never hear of a Rosso Blanca paint job.

It's mosty referred to as the 939SS or SS939. I wish it were also a 1200SS, but that's a whole other lamentation.

All that said, I own one. It's a damned fine bike, really good at doing everything it does. It's essentially a Monster with the Hyper motor, a full fairing and slightly more relaxed chassis geometry. It's definitely fast enough, but the 1200 motor would be a nice upgrade. The mirrors shake absurdly in chorus with the second harmonic of the motor. It's super stable in the corners and doesn't need a damper. There's a nice touring bag kit from Ducati if you choose, or alternately there's a nice exhaust option.

It's probably Ducati's best all around bike right now, really a "Jack of all trades and master of none" by design so it doesn't bite too deeply into any of the other segments Ducati is building bikes for. Not quite as "toury" as a Multi, not quite as "sporty" as a Panigale, not quite as "City" as the Monster, not quite as "Rad" as the Hyper.

If you want to spend 8+ hours canyon carving without leg cramps; carry some stuff without throwing around a 600 lb bike and flow through the corners without super twitchy steering - this is your bike.
pedersen106 likes this.

1994 900 SS/CR
2017 939 Supersport S
It's Italian. If I can get it to start, it'll win.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode