1993, 900ss, anyone using Mikuni TM 40-6 carbs - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2019, 3:49 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Flywheel is light. From a 600ss. Those are really cheap mods.
I read everywhere that mounting flatslides totally frees up the bike. Together with my high comp pistons it will be fun to ride i think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2019, 8:13 pm

Garage
We used to mount FCR's with 944 kits most of the time but had a number of customers with just FCR's. We installed some for winter riders as the flat slides did not suffer icing as the oem carbs.
If the stock carbs are jetted right then the power gains will be small so do not expect to see much better "numbers".

That said , If no one showed you how little extra power they made you would never believe it from riding the bike. I consider FCR's icing on the cake, they just make a already great package better and are one of "the" mods to do if the price tag does not scare you away.
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2019, 8:22 pm

as eric says, it doesn't much more power at all, but they feel a lot better. no one that i've fitted fcr for on an otherwise std motor has wanted to go back. i had an m750 owner tell me the fcr39 he fitted felt like they'd added 10hp. nope. maybe 2 or 3.

light flywheel, cam timing, gearing, light clutch even. light wheels will make a huge difference to it too. way more than most people who haven't tried it would think.

know all wanker

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2019, 8:25 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks ducvet and belter f
or your insights. Im not about numbers, im about feel and fun. And those carbs are sexy as hell too ofcourse lol.
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2019, 8:02 am
Prolific Poster Award

flatslides "feel" faster because the slides connect directly to the throttle cable. cv's have to wait for the slide to catch up with the butterfly. this is why flaties give the illusion of heaps more power. cv's wont bogg with a fist full of throttle, flaties do, even with the powerjet. cv's are very under rated and very forgiving, especially when on a big breather 1100m bored to 1340cc's. and in lots of cases can be made to react quicker with a balance between slide hole size, slide spring and a correct needle. lot of fucking around but can be done. different strokes for different folks.
Stick and ducvet like this.
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2019, 8:38 am

Garage
Very true, a well set up CV is a good carb. I continue to run the CV carbs on my 750ss simply because I have not felt the need on that bike to change them. that said if a set of 39"s fell into my hands they would get installed.

The 800 carby in the dyno run above was running stock CV carbs with no issues.

But..... does this mean we do not get owners to try brand-X carbs so we can "test" them? Come on someone take one for the team!

There was the Honda hawk large CV carbs, mikuni flatslides and a number of Delorto's to test!
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2019, 8:41 am
Prolific Poster Award

Iím going to be playing around with my cvís to improve slide response. Have you any idea of the drill size to increase the slide hole diameter ? How about the springs, how many coils cut off ? It would be nice to have a place to start.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2019, 7:14 pm

The Mikuni TM41 flatslides do work well on a wide variety of engines. There are plenty of tuning parts for them. I ran a 750 F1 racer with them and they worked very well, but I never tried to get a reliable idle or worried too much about low end running. I ran a pair on my 900SS racer too, other than having to fiddle with the horiz. float level they worked fine, until a pair of 41 FCR came into my life. There are many BMW's and Guzzi's out there running them too so they can be made to act properly for street use [other than the slide clatter at idle]. But they will require the split manifold setup.
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2019, 7:59 pm

You can get flat slides to take WOT from idle if you do your do diligence. Also your fuel economy will astonish you. I got so sick of the bad mileage on my old BMW with the Bing cv carbs that I did the unspeakable. They who know said it couldn't be done, so I did it. Put 37mm Keihin flat slides on an old 79 BMW R100RS. Got 15 miles a gallon more and incredible throttle response. Feels like a 10 hp increase.
As stated above, nobody that I have ever installed Keihins on has asked to have them taken off. There are no downsides to this upgrade.
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 3:55 pm
Prolific Poster Award

“There are no downsides to this upgrade.” Yes there is, how much they cost for how little gain.
I agree with ducvet, if a set fell into my lap I’d put then on. On bikes that I’ve set up with them, they’ve all worked well and I actually like the way they feel but I’m not under any illusion that I need to buy a set to make a quicker bike. I love my bling, this is why I have carbon wheels and other useless ornaments on my bikes.
RockAZ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode