95'CR build, in a parking garage & inexpensively! - Page 9 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 85 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2019, 4:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erics75218 View Post
Right on, thanks for the tips as always. I plan to get a way to suspend the bike by the "frame/engine/rearset" area I've seen tons of threads on this. I know I need to ride it first before I go do some things. But once you start taking one thing off, it becomes easier to take other things off. And now that the brakes are off....the wheel can come off...so why not!

It's not my only bike, part of the reason I haven't worked on it in a bit is because it was stored up behind one of my other bikes, and I've been riding most weekends. But a friend of mine in London finished up his custom Guzzi cafe racer and I got jealous and felt like a looser for being so lazy. Putting the carbs back on caused me to delay a bit, looked far harder than it was.

Getting the top tripple off is much harder than it looks. Mine has a shit carbon cover on it that looks crappy so it might have to be refinished anyways, plus I can't get the old clip ons off without taking that off.

I'll ride that bitch without any rear bodywork but a seat and a tail light, i don't care. I have other pretty bikes to take photos of :-)
This all sounds really fun! I cant wait to see the finished bike, even if it takes a long time.

Its great to have ducvet, sean and many others on this forum, that really know whats up, answering so many questions. What would this Ducati world be without guys like this to help us out? I have joined other forums for other lesser hobbies and literally been ignored.

Ducati 1993 750ss
The past: Honda 1000RR Fireblade F2 Yamaha R6 xj700 xs400 Suzuki GSXR600 Kaw 750 550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 85 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2019, 12:48 am Thread Starter

I wouldn't have the balls to do this without knowing I could get advice and know how from all the bad asses here. They enable me to dive head first into this hobby without much fear. I realize most of my questions are basic bitch, but it's great knowing I have backup!!!! #savethesupersports can't happen without Ducati.ms cabal!
post #83 of 85 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2019, 2:12 pm Thread Starter

Well I pulled the calipers hoping I could split them and ultrasonically clean'm....but I can't split them now that they are off. I still plan to do that task, but I recon I'll have to put them back on the bike to get the leverage required to loosen those caliper bolts.

I had some brake cleaner, which I initially used, but ran out. I then made a 10:1 simple green crystal cleaner and did the 2nd caliper. It worked SO much better than brake cleaner, that I went back and did the other one. I'm not worried about getting crap on the pads since I will replace when I get these bitches split and inspected. I don't think they are leaking, more or less the pistons went back in smooth, but no harm in checking if I can actually split'm!

https://simplegreen.com/industrial/p...ner-degreaser/

Also I notice the Titanium bolts I ordered from China, while great, are far to short. They are what I ordered I just don't know what the hell I was looking at where I thought that was the kind of bolt I'd need. I'll see if I can order the right ones next time.

And with this, I'm unfortunately going to be busy with work next week and then a nice holiday in tropical London for a week. I'm gonna be on the lookout for some nice vintage jackets, gold top / lewis leathers....but other than that I wonder if there are any Ducati parts I should line up to bring back.....thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190505_114116.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	942503   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190505_114102.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	917.2 KB
ID:	942505   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190505_114046.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	942507  

post #84 of 85 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2019, 5:38 pm

Garage
Simple green is great soak to clean these up. 10 minutes in dilute simple green, a scrub brush, and then finish off in hot water with dawn dish soap. Piston seal kits are readily available for these calipers on eBay (powerhouse brand) as are stainless steel bolts and retainer pins if you want to make them like new. The gold line calipers are lovely cleaned up.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #85 of 85 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2019, 4:57 pm

Garage
Hopefully you will get this done and have a nice bike to enjoy

1991 Ducati 900ss, 1991 Ducati 907ie. BMW's too many to list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode