95'CR build, in a parking garage & inexpensively! - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 85 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2019, 9:14 pm
Prolific Poster Award

I buy Chinese stuff, but I donít have faith that just because they marked the bolt as grade 5 that it actually is. I would keep that in mind when youíre deciding where to use the bolts, or where not to use them. If the bolt failing could cause a wreck, buy a good one.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 85 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2019, 2:16 pm Thread Starter

Alright well I got the carbs yanked off. That throttle cable is no joke. I pulled off the entire bracket but that didn't make getting the extremely occluded top cable released from the pully any easier. I fear that bitch ain't gonna go back on easily either?

I'll search up on simplifying that throttle.cable setup...do I really need the return cable or whatever??

On the "Ohhhhhhhh discovery front. Looks like the clutch slave side of the bikes can is touching the swingarm...or just missing it. Where the other side has the 1/2 inch gap or what have ye!!

So I'm guessing bent header, or mounting point or incorrectly shimmed swinger?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #23 of 85 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2019, 3:09 pm Thread Starter

Oh and I also put in an offer on the full clutch master setup with ressie and leaver for 75$.

So I'm ready to upgrade those when I reassemble.

So I'm up to 317$ on parts for 1817$ invested so far!!!

Well hit 2k soon!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

post #24 of 85 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2019, 3:44 pm

Garage
There are supposed to be some aluminum spacers where the exhaust cans bolt to the footpeg/hanger for clearance. Looks like the previous owner lost the original mounting hardware.

About 14mm spacer if memory serves. Shouldn't be too hard to fab something up, but an easy fix at any rate.
Iwannaduc and Erics75218 like this.

post #25 of 85 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2019, 5:29 pm

If you're looking for an aftermarket exhaust I have a set of Viper low mount mufflers in decent condition I would be happy to get rid of for a song.

Also a full set of carbs and some other bits and bobs like master cylinders and rearsets. PM me with any needs or if you want any photos. Mostly just want them to go to a good home for nominal dollars plus cost of shipping, there aren't many of these left in stock-ish trim so demand for OEM parts is low.

'93 900SS | '10 HM1100EVOSP
post #26 of 85 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2019, 7:35 pm

usually because the footrest hanger mounts on the frame are bent in. lh ones get bent because some pillions will stand on the lh footrest as they get on, and over time that bends it in. fairly common as such.

if nothing else is obviously fucked up, pull the muffler and put something through the bracket and lever it out.
ducvet and Erics75218 like this.

know all wanker
post #27 of 85 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2019, 7:50 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoneMoreBlack View Post
If you're looking for an aftermarket exhaust I have a set of Viper low mount mufflers in decent condition I would be happy to get rid of for a song.

Also a full set of carbs and some other bits and bobs like master cylinders and rearsets. PM me with any needs or if you want any photos. Mostly just want them to go to a good home for nominal dollars plus cost of shipping, there aren't many of these left in stock-ish trim so demand for OEM parts is low.
I might be interested if he isn't. I'm local too so no shipping. I can hand you cash in person. ....sean

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
post #28 of 85 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2019, 7:56 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erics75218 View Post
On the "Ohhhhhhhh discovery front. Looks like the clutch slave side of the bikes can is touching the swingarm...or just missing it. Where the other side has the 1/2 inch gap or what have ye!!

So I'm guessing bent header, or mounting point or incorrectly shimmed swinger?

Possibly both? I'd take a good look around the pivot point of the swing arm. Mine was cracked quite badly on 3 of the 4 sides right where the pivot area is covered by the chain slider. It was invisible until I removed the swing arm and steam cleaned it. Only then did the crack reveal itself.

I did not notice the exhaust was close to the swing arm so much as I found scrape marks on the swing arm itself which made me investigate the cause. In doing so, I found the spacers missing on the exhaust, the link pipe bent and of all things, bolts far too long for the application with the extra length just poking through the swing arm side of the mount. It was only later that I found the crack. I'm pretty sure the swing arm was incorrectly shimmed also.

I can add pics of the crack if you like...it's pretty ugly.....sean

NM....I just looked at your pics again and you have a steel swing arm....not known for cracks at the pivot.

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo

Last edited by Iwannaduc; Feb 18th, 2019 at 7:59 pm. Reason: Added a "never mind"
post #29 of 85 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2019, 9:33 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses, it will be interesting to see. I'll space those bad boys out for restoration phase 1. Long term I'd like some aftermarkets, and the bike will be a mono so I'll be getting rid of the passenger pegs.

NoneMoreBlack, my exhaust dreams are a bit further into the distance. But send me a PM and share a picture, I'm trying to be frugal by buying things I will eventually want ahead of schedule because some things seem harder to find than I imagined.

I am pretty sure the frame is not bent, because it's been replaced but I'll track her down.

I'm realizing now my bike doesn't have the little black triangles installs where the carbs draw stable air from, I am not sure that I have them either, but I may. Are these integral?
post #30 of 85 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2019, 8:31 am

Garage
I agree with Brad in that the left side passenger peg mount looks angled inward, this is common as he mentioned. One of my first jobs at the dealership was mounting slip on exhausts on carby supersports. They almost never fit right out of the box , you almost always had loosen and align things and that was when the bikes were new! Everything is on the table to align an exhaust , shims, loosening the whole system and re-aligning, "adjusting" frame mounted hangers and plain old muscling the exhaust into place and tightening it down. All were done and it is a case of whatever it takes.

As to cheap exhausts you could core (properly) what you have for less than $100 if you weld and do the labor. If you do not then you might find a used set of aftermarket cans close to the same price, though they may need re-packing as well so be aware there may be added costs. Then you will need to re-jet in either case and we can discuss the age old factory vs dynojet debate where some jerk will without a doubt mention what you really need is a set of Keihin FCR's that will blow your budget (and he is right,). Otherwise you will spend $$ on jetting the bike and then re-spend when you buy the FCR's so realistically you will be saving money by buying the FCR's in the first place and then you will be done with them.

The triangle boxes are a good thing to have and on a restoration you do want them but there are plenty of bikes that do not use them and are fine. Keep in mind you need them to be located where the air will not open the slides prematurely so tuck them away from direct air flow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode