Opinions & questions on bodywork 900ssCR - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2019, 7:07 pm Thread Starter

Opinions & questions on bodywork 900ssCR

So the bodywork on the new baby is a mish mash, the paint is chipped, scratched. One of the panels looks like it's had a hack fix to hold in the signal light with epoxy. At the least, it all needs to be stripped back and repainted. One side panel is from a 97 someone has said, because it has a lot of interior padding.

Does the panels NEED that strange padding? I've never seen anything like that before on internal bodywork of a motorcycle, with what looks like seat material.

Ideally I would love to have side panels with no signal lights, but I don't see them on Sharksins or Airtech, unsure if those even exist in the CR style?

Also in the short term the rear body work will stay as is, but I've seen 2 super sports with what appears to be a somewhat slimmer tail in the same style of the Superlight tail. Ducati Kamna in Germany was the source for one, but that seems to be a stretch the post is 10 years old and I don't speak German.

And the only other bike I've seen with one of these tails is from a thread on an old Bimota forum, and there is no data for sourcing that tail. I don't believe it to be from another Ducati.

Any ideas on what this is or how to source one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DEV_INST-04716.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	581.7 KB
ID:	935759   Click image for larger version

Name:	DEV_INST-04719.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	554.6 KB
ID:	935761   Click image for larger version

Name:	DEV_INST-04718.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	530.2 KB
ID:	935763   Click image for larger version

Name:	DEV_INST-04717.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	475.4 KB
ID:	935765   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4873.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	599.0 KB
ID:	935767  

Last edited by Erics75218; Jan 29th, 2019 at 7:12 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2019, 8:47 pm

Garage
Thicker bodywork as those are easier to repair at home after a crash, no other value in them.

For my advice, sort the mechanicals out first and thoroughly because you can spend mad money being in a hurry to swap out bodywork. Keep looking, awesome deals come up all the time but few websites show this old school bodywork anymore even if they actually do have some stock on it - like Sharkskins for instance, they do have anything they have ever made for your bike. If you see a design you like from some photo on the internet and identify the maker - email or call them, they most likely have some backstock. For some reason those mad lads in the UK still run the old CR bodywork, you will find a lot of pictures from that part of the world.

And that last pic is a Sharkskin SuperLight tail, I believe, with the UK tail light.

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746

Last edited by RockAZ; Jan 29th, 2019 at 8:52 pm.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2019, 10:08 pm

The foam on the inside of the body work was put there to absorb sound and help pass noise emission standards. It is nasty stuff and can absorb water. Almost everyone has removed it, which isn't much fun either.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2019, 10:22 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erics75218 View Post
Does the panels NEED that strange padding? I've never seen anything like that before on internal bodywork of a motorcycle, with what looks like seat material.
As Spacey already pointed out, the foam is for noise supression. I've seen it on other bodywork from other manufacturers. Just scrape it off with a scraper.

Quote:
Ideally I would love to have side panels with no signal lights, but I don't see them on Sharksins or Airtech, unsure if those even exist in the CR style?
If you were to use a later SSie set of fairings, you'd get not only a lighter set of bodywork but one without the integral turn signals. Otherwise, you could check with Airtech and see if they still have race bodywork that has the turnsignals filled in.

Quote:
Also in the short term the rear body work will stay as is, but I've seen 2 super sports with what appears to be a somewhat slimmer tail in the same style of the Superlight tail. Ducati Kamna in Germany was the source for one, but that seems to be a stretch the post is 10 years old and I don't speak German.
That is a Super Light tail in the last picture. You can find them a few places on the web. Air Tech is probably the easiest and cheapest to get. RSR Carbon in the UK has a carbon fiber solo tail and there is a Euro site that I can't remember the name of that does one also but in three different configurations. Carbon, Carbon Kevlar and plain fiberglass. No idea what the prices range from or to, save for the Air Tech and RSR. Air Tech fiber glass solo tail is under $200 while the RSR carbon unit is around $600.
Quote:
See above. ....sean

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2019, 11:02 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockAZ View Post
Thicker bodywork as those are easier to repair at home after a crash, no other value in them.

For my advice, sort the mechanicals out first and thoroughly because you can spend mad money being in a hurry to swap out bodywork.
That's the plan, I just like to nerd out and fill up a spreadsheet with numbers and links to things so I have a rough idea of where I'm going and how much it's gonna cost. Bodywork is WAY DOWN on the spreadsheet. I wont spend a dime on it, unless I find a super deal, till the bike runs great for multiple weeks on end! :-)
jimmyjojo likes this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2019, 11:41 am

Location: Det er bedre med en Dram i timen enn en time i Drammen, , No (r) Way
Garage
Quote:

And the only other bike I've seen with one of these tails is from a thread on an old Bimota forum, and there is no data for sourcing that tail. I don't believe it to be from another Ducati.

Yup - Kaemna sell them, they have an English site & they speak English too - They´re very helpful
https://www.ducati-kaemna.com/catalo...rsport-ss.html

And the correct slimline taillight assy:
https://www.ducati-kaemna.com/schmal...o-hoecker.html

1997 900SS; 1997 916SPS (#296); 2001 996R (Unnumbered)
The mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2019, 12:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil66 View Post
Yup - Kaemna sell them, they have an English site & they speak English too - They´re very helpful
https://www.ducati-kaemna.com/catalo...rsport-ss.html

And the correct slimline taillight assy:
https://www.ducati-kaemna.com/schmal...o-hoecker.html
Oh damn, I was on their site and I could not for the life of me find that. I think that I entered their site via a strange google search that probably pulled up a link to some no longer functioning legacy version of the site.

I've got the seat latch on the way so she'll stay a Biposto for a while, but I do love me that seat!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2019, 1:42 pm

Garage
Quote:
Oh damn, I was on their site and I could not for the life of me find that. I think that I entered their site via a strange google search that probably pulled up a link to some no longer functioning legacy version of the site.

I've got the seat latch on the way so she'll stay a Biposto for a while, but I do love me that seat!
Haha yeah I can understand that, it´s a tricky site to navigate tbh - not very user friendly at all, but when you´ve been in as much as I have & bought as much as I have you get to know your way around!!
It is a corking seat unit, I´m installing one in mine but I rounded off the pointed front bits to be a bit more like OEM, been away at Artisimo for a paint job & hopefully arriving back soon - I´ll post some better pics when I get it

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2019, 1:58 pm Thread Starter

Please do. Also since your here, are the mono seats bolt on, they don't require anything different like a Superbike do they?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2019, 2:26 pm

Garage
Quote:
Please do. Also since your here, are the mono seats bolt on, they don't require anything different like a Superbike do they?
They´ll need some form of support under the saddle area as there´s nothing there - the 4 side mounting bolts line up but the unit´s build is too light for these to be weight supporting - As mine is a restomod & will never be reverted back to a std SS, I´m welding in some 15mm flat bar rails & will glue a thin rubber / foam strip to these after painting. Alternatively would be to build up the underside of the seat unit with fibreglass against the frame rails or perhaps glue on some thick rubber blocks & shape a channel to fit the frame rails...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in