Buying a 1995 900SS SP today - Page 7 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2019, 1:07 pm

My '92 has black wheels. I think the white wheels were '91 only in the U.S.
ducvet likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2019, 9:01 pm

Bought my '95 900SS-SP...#396...new in 1995 from a dealer near Orlando, FL. One of the best bikes I've ever owned. Have had about 29,000 miles of fun on the old girl and will never sell it. Enjoy!
RockAZ likes this.

'03 Ducati 999; '95 Ducati 900SS SP #396; '14 VStrom 1000; '96 HD Road King; '69 Honda MiniTrail; and all sorts of stuff before these...
post #63 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2019, 10:16 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Question LED Magic

Moving it forward today but hit a puzzle on the LED turn signals. See the "crescent-moon" stripes on the left and right sides? Those are the turn signals. The light comes with the normal 3 prong connector, hi, ground, low plus a single wire for each of the left and right signal plus a third wire for daytime running lights. The turn signals I'm taking off have of course two wires each. Assumed something inside the bulb unit was ground, so I just attached the positive wires from the turn signal leaving the ground wires hanging.
Nope, not a glimmer.
Hooked in those LED diodes that make the rear turn signals work fine (since each bulb is two wire).
Still not working, but I only connected the positive wires as the ground has nowhere to go.
Disconnected the rear turn signals completely but didn't help. I have the LED type 3post flasher relay installed - got one with adjustable speed!

Read all 275 reviews on Amazon for it, two mentioned that they got them to work on something besides a late model Harley and that it was tricky. 10 more gave up and sent it back.
Here is the brief comment that doesn't make sense to me from a guy that got it work on a 90's Ducati Monster -

"took some savvy wiring to figure out the turn signals to work but when I applied both blinking + and a constant negative to the blinker wire, only then did it function correctly. "

Anyone know what this means? Is he saying to twist both the negative and positive wires together from -say- the left turn signal and connect to the single wire from the light for the left turn signal?

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746

Last edited by RockAZ; Jan 5th, 2019 at 10:24 pm.

post #64 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2019, 7:30 am

Garage
Have you done the diode mod to your dash indicator light? The one that needs to be done if you're fitting a LED bulb in the dash? That also applies to fitting LED bulbs in the actual indicators, as the normal operation of the indicator reverses the polarity on one side (just the way it's wired). The diode mod means that both signal leads will be the same polarity. Look up the LED bulbs/dim dash lights posts in this forum - there's a better description in them.

If you still have trouble with your flasher unit, superbrightleds have (well - had - some time ago) electronic flasher units that should just plug in - fairly cheap IIRC.

'95 900 Superlight IV #064

Mods are: K&N filter, airbox lid on with rubber trumpets removed, MBP collets, full SMI (SilMoto Italia) spaghetti exhaust with 'open' carbon cans, 41mm FCR's - #182 mains!, Barnett alloy clutch basket, Oberon slave cylinder, Ohlins fork springs, Ohlins rear shock, Verlicchi swingarm.
post #65 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2019, 8:35 am Thread Starter

Garage
*Edit for clarity* How do I go from two wire turnsignals to one wire? This works, its been done and there are no instructions from the manufacturer on how.

I have the correct flasher relay, and I am not changing the dash lights to LED so I don't think that is the issue as it doesn't affect the rear turn signals on either of my bikes. The headlight just has no instructions beyond replacing a stock Harley LED headlight, (which it does quite well according to the reviews)

I used these for the rear LED turn signals and it works fine, still have the dash blinking correctly

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DJ9LFR9

Which, I think, eliminates the need for the dash light diode if you are are not changing the dash bulb to LED?

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746

Last edited by RockAZ; Jan 6th, 2019 at 9:28 am.
post #66 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2019, 11:40 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockAZ View Post

I have the correct flasher relay, and I am not changing the dash lights to LED so I don't think that is the issue as it doesn't affect the rear turn signals on either of my bikes.

Which, I think, eliminates the need for the dash light diode if you are are not changing the dash bulb to LED?
I can only offer my experience with this on my 996. I got the bike with a rear integrator and no front signals at all.

I installed some bar end signals to get myself "legal" but then the rear diode/resistor pack for the integrated tail light/turn signal packed it in.

I installed some plain LED rear signals and then, well...then the issues started. They either didn't work at all, or all 4 flashed when the switch was activated in either direction.

After much frustration, and not a little swearing I thought; the only connection between the two sides was at the dash indicator.

As it turns out, the voltage/amperage required to light the LEDs is not significant enough to also light the incandescent dash lamp. It ends up being a jumper as the current just passes though without illuminating it.

I pulled the dash indicator and voila' .... everything worked like normal.

I used an electronic flasher specifically for the fact that a thermal one would not work with LEDs without a resistor.

Currently all of mine work with no resistor installed.....I'll get an LED peanut bulb for the dash when I get around to it. I just have to remember to switch off my turn signals after every turn without that reminder.......sean

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
post #67 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2019, 11:50 am Thread Starter

Garage
Excellent post, my thinking was starting to go in that direction. There is some weirdness on the HI/LOW headlight as well - it has "flipped" several times without reason. The switch set to LOW beam, dash light faded, LED headlight shines on LOW. Flip switch to HIGH, High LED beam comes on, dash light brightens - all normal.

A couple changes from HIGH to LOW later and it flips! Now the LOW switch is HIGH LED beam and dash light is dimmed (or even off completely). And visa versa. This morning it had gone back to correct, so far.

So - Pull the dash bulbs for the turn signals and headlight to see what happens?

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746
post #68 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2019, 11:55 am

Garage
Quote:

So - Pull the dash bulb for the turn signals and headlight to see what happens?
Yeah....it's free, and you can't damage anything by doing so. Give it a shot and see what happens. As an LED is a light emitting diode, I've found that the diode part can make for some funky electrical issues.
Quote:
A couple changes from HIGH to LOW later and it flips! Now the LOW switch is HIGH LED beam and dash light is dimmed (or even off completely). And visa versa. This morning it had gone back to correct, so far.
Sounds more like a faulty switch to me....but who knows. Could be a faulty ground causing that......sean

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
post #69 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2019, 12:03 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Since I pulled apart the 3 post connector for experiments, it is possible the ground one is not quite tight, I will buy another connector this morning. If that resolves the confusion between HI/LOW I will be all right.

Definitely pulling the turn signal bulb, I don't really need to see it flashing after riding lots of vintage bikes for 40 plus years,... I've developed habits of thumbing it off since I've never had a bike with self canceling ones.

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746
post #70 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2019, 12:17 pm

Garage
Quote:
Since I pulled apart the 3 post connector for experiments, it is possible the ground one is not quite tight, I will buy another connector this morning. If that resolves the confusion between HI/LOW I will be all right.
Do you mean the head light connector for the H4 bulb? Yeah....that could be an issue but IIRC, the ground wire there went to a tab on the front sub-frame?

If that is faulty....I don't know how that could cause the swapping of the hi/low circuit. I don't. I'm not saying it can't. I'm just saying I don't know how it could.

Is there a circuit card inside the head lamp to direct all the functions/selections or is just straight wire? If the circuit card requires a ground, and uses the head lamp ground....then I can see the head lamp connector possibly being the culprit....sean

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode