Buying a 1995 900SS SP today - Page 6 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 79 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2018, 12:37 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Air View Post
Great spot! I just want to say, your contributions to this forum are incredibly valuable. You’ve certainly made my life as a 900ss *owner/repairer much easier. So thanks!

*(SS owner = repairer )
See! I did adjust it, and yes, the info coming on this forum from its oldest members is invaluable!

Pic goes sideways, wcyd?

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 79 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2018, 3:46 pm

Who wants to be identified as "oldest". I'm guessing you meant "experienced"
ducvet and RockAZ like this.
post #53 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 8:24 am

Garage
Just curious where they hid the rectifier?

As to helping , we are all helping each other to steward these bikes and pass them on to later owners. much like finding that really cool old bike is fun to us just think how thrilled a owner in another 20 years will be with a carby SS such as these. I wont be here then so we need to pass the skills down to the next generation in the hope that they too will pass the information on.
redpato and Hot Air like this.

post #54 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 9:39 am Thread Starter

Garage
My first question too after seeing it for the first time in the PO's garage - where is the ignition key, regulator,fuse box and relays? Well - all moved to the back except for the key which is on a neat mount on the lower frame like an ineffective slider. The whole thing, heavy steering lock and all! (that will have to go, I'm thinking keyless remote).

All wiring is tight and sadly wrapped in electrical tape - all of it has to be rewrapped in shrink tape, but very cleverly done with either connectors or soldered.

Fuse box is upside down and projects through a rectangular hole cut in the cubby tray inside the fenderwell with the cover glued on. Why didn't he mount that sideways instead? I will, then I can easily get to both the wiring and the fuses. The regulator could be pushed through the tray instead of up there where it gets no cooling, so I will make that change. Have to figure out a way to isolate the heat from the plastic, but it doesn't seem to have melted it where it is now,...

But the most annoying thing is that the bunched up wiring only fits the stock seat! Corbin seats do not have the "gap" where all of this fits in so I can't use them!

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746

Last edited by RockAZ; Jan 2nd, 2019 at 9:51 am.
post #55 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 11:49 pm

I vote you put it back to stock. These bikes look great with the stock bodywork.
post #56 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2019, 7:47 am

Garage
Creative wiring is always fun! I have a 996 in the shop right now that has the wiring and battery stuffed under the seat in just such a fashion.

Keep an eye on that original rectifier as well they are known for losing the regulator and overcharging. If you wanted to keep the wiring under the seat I too would try and move the rectifier under the plastic so it gets air flow.
post #57 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2019, 12:26 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesprinkle View Post
I vote you put it back to stock. These bikes look great with the stock bodywork.
I think the original full fairing looks good, fortunately I now have two of these so I'd like to take this naked bike look a little further for now.

Here is the other one.

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746
post #58 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2019, 2:42 pm

Garage
Call me crazy I always liked the early white frame/wheels and early font decals.
Iwannaduc and Neil66 like this.
post #59 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2019, 11:03 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducvet View Post
As to helping , we are all helping each other to steward these bikes and pass them on to later owners. much like finding that really cool old bike is fun to us just think how thrilled a owner in another 20 years will be with a carby SS such as these. I wont be here then so we need to pass the skills down to the next generation in the hope that they too will pass the information on.
That’s bang on! I’m keeping mine forever, then handing it to my son on strict instructions to look after and not sell. Just imagine, “Remember petrol? Carburetors, what are they?”

My younger brother recently pointed out a BMW SUV which was hybrid. It has speakers that play the sound of a powerful combustion engine. How sad! I might just record my Duc, in case I’m forced to ride a bike that only plays MP3.

899Panigale,900ss(1996)YZ450FX. Previous:FZR1000EXUP,FZR400 F3 racebike,RZ50 “bucket racer”,D50 “bucket racer”,RD350YPVS,YB125.Go VR46!(And if Rossi doesn’t win, may it be Dovi)
post #60 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2019, 11:48 am

Location: Det er bedre med en Dram i timen enn en time i Drammen, , No (r) Way
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducvet View Post
Call me crazy I always liked the early white frame/wheels and early font decals.
Totally agree - I´m (supposed to be) retromodding my cracked frame & swing-arm, worn out & abused ´97 into a 1992 lookalike - though I´m not going for white wheels as they are a total pita to keep clean
ducvet likes this.

1997 900SS; 1997 916SPS (#296); 2001 996R (Unnumbered)
The mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode