1000DS Swingarm tensioner stuck - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2018, 10:32 pm Thread Starter

Garage
1000DS Swingarm tensioner stuck

So @Coconut and I (and another friend) were helping a fourth friend get his 1000DS back together this afternoon and the craziest thing happened...

Background first: For lack of a better description, the fancy DS swingarm has a pivot compression/tensioner bolt rather than a pinch bolt. The tensioner bolt has a wedge shape cut into it so as you draw it tight, it presses the pivot against the interior of the swingarm pivot passage, completely unlike the other SS swingers that use a traditional pinch bolt and tend to crack.

So the bike owner is manning the torque wrench, turning gently waiting for the nut to snug up to 37 NM and it never does. It never torqued, instead the nut continued past the end of the threads on the tensioner bolt and the wrench never clicked. @Coconut and I both watched this process and started getting curious after it was obvious the nut should have seated. It didn't. We tested the wrench on another bolt and it operated as expected, so it wasn't a tool failure.

At this point we stopped. We tried backing the nut off the tensioner, but we couldn't get it to bite back onto the threads. It's one of those deformed single use nuts. We tried all sorts of things to get it to thread back on, but gave up after about 2 hours of trying.

That's when we resorted to the power tools. You can't imagine what happened next. Lets just say the nut is no longer on the tensioner, and the tensioner has a tidy 3/16th hole drilled through completely through the middle of it, and the tensioner still won't let go of the pivot, and believe me, we tried tapping it out from all angles with all forms of punches, chisels and hammers.

Also, I apologise in advance for my first pass at trying to write this out. I went home and started working on some healthy margaritas after 5 hours of trying to get this bolt to go away.

Here's to hoping someone has come across a tensioner that dropped straight into the swingarm but won't let go under any influence. We can't seem to figure the physics out on this one, and there were four pretty smart people watching this happen.

1994 900 SS/CR
2017 939 Supersport S
It's Italian. If I can get it to start, it'll win.

Last edited by psyopper; Aug 18th, 2018 at 11:07 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2018, 10:47 pm

Garage
Faces are obscured to protect the mechanically defeated.

2007 GT1000
2003 DS1000 SuperSport
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2018, 3:58 pm

Okay! So this problem was a real bear! After thinking on it I finally resolved it today. I was able to drill out the remains of the bolt end, then I cut the top of the nut in quarters easing the tension on the bolt. I was then able to get underneath with a few good whacks and POP, out it came! Iím happy to report that the swingarm is fine but the pivot has a nice divot in it due to the torque. Speaking of torque, I will not be using that torque wrench anymore! Now I need a replacement pivot for a 2005 1000SS, anyone have an extra?

1969 Mark 3 D
2005 SS1000DS
2010 Multi 1200S

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2018, 4:29 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMonster View Post
Okay! So this problem was a real bear! After thinking on it I finally resolved it today. I was able to drill out the remains of the bolt end, then I cut the top of the nut in quarters easing the tension on the bolt. I was then able to get underneath with a few good whacks and POP, out it came! I’m happy to report that the swingarm is fine but the pivot has a nice divot in it due to the torque. Speaking of torque, I will not be using that torque wrench anymore! Now I need a replacement pivot for a 2005 1000SS, anyone have an extra?
This is the one that's longer with the circlips on the ends, right? Per the parts diagram, it originally was 36910041A and according to AMS Ducati it has been superceded twice, first by 36911171A and now it's currently 36911172A and $135. If one doesn't turn up here you might be able to get one from your local shop, or AMS if that falls through.

Try searching ebay for the various part numbers?

1994 900 SS/CR
2017 939 Supersport S
It's Italian. If I can get it to start, it'll win.

Last edited by psyopper; Aug 20th, 2018 at 4:38 pm.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2018, 9:30 pm

I was able to drill directly down the middle of the bolt shaft to remove the nut and the bolt itself with no damage to the swingarm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5988.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	927763   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6002.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	927765   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6001.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	989.3 KB
ID:	927767   Click image for larger version

Name:	08242405-2434-461A-BB9C-FF4EB56D15C2.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	893.8 KB
ID:	927769   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5998.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	927771  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5993.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	927773  

1969 Mark 3 D
2005 SS1000DS
2010 Multi 1200S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode