What do you think and what do you think its REALLY worth? '96 900SS CR w/mods - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2018, 1:06 am Thread Starter

Arrow What do you think and what do you think its REALLY worth? '96 900SS CR w/mods

Been looking for 999's, but came across this and I'm interested. Yeah I know its down on power vs a 999, but this thing is cool and has soul. Going to call on it. No, its not original, but it appears to be very clean, well maintained and tasteful mods. Within last 100 mi's new belts, valve adjustment and fluids change. 13.6k miles & asking $5.5k.......

**I'm pretty handy with mechanics/tools, but sometimes I'll let a professional work on my bikes if time is not on my side. What should I expect to spend at a Duc dealer or private shop to do the typical belts and 2v valve adjustment for this bike?**

Yes, I'll ask the right questions and look for the obvious areas of concern/problems regarding this model of bike. What do you think?

Ducati 1098 forks with radial Brembo brakes
MotoCorse triple clamps
EBC rotors
Woodcraft clip-ons
Rizoma grips
Remote Brembo reservoir brake and clutch
New Dunlop Sportmax Q3 tires
Sharkskinz bodywork with custom paint
D&D exhaust cans
2005 M900 longer rear shock
Powder coated frame, swingarm and wheels
Ceramic coated headers

Let me know your thoughts/advice on anything specific outside the "normal" know problematic area questions I should ask the owner........thanks in advance. After looking at it I'll report back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00909_fG9nOemKRBs_1200x900-1.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	926999   Click image for larger version

Name:	00505_6aWkmzYzlPC_1200x900.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	927001  
wmfleet2 likes this.

Last edited by 9-9-9; Aug 4th, 2018 at 1:16 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2018, 8:42 am
Prolific Poster Award

That’s a very nice SS. I don’t know what the Ducati market is like in your area, but I’m sure someone would be asking around 5k if it were here in Michigan, though what they’d get is the question. It’s not a strong market for old Ducs here. As reference, someone is selling a SS upgraded to an 1100 for 5k.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500

Last edited by duc96cr; Aug 4th, 2018 at 8:46 am. Reason: Correction
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2018, 8:43 am

I think on old SS like that just make sure that the frame isn't getting any cracks up by the steering head. Otherwise they are simple machines...

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2018, 8:33 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. Seems simple enough. I'm just trying to gauge what people think of the bike and is it something that is worth north of $5k, etc. The market in my area is weak for Ducs. This isn't my first Duc. They seem hard to sell unless they're being given away. I'm on the fence about it. Will go look at it soon.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2018, 1:04 am
Tightly Clenched...

Garage
Interesting upgrade to the front end, wondering if it was done for a reason (crash?) but it's a good looking bike and the half-faired versions of that aged model have always been attractive to me. You wouldn't find one as decent as that for that money here in Australia...actually I'm gunna go look through bikesales right now...
quack748 likes this.

post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2018, 10:22 am

I paid $3300 for mine 2 years ago. It has a more miles, suspension upgrades and is in good shape.

So here on Central Mid - Atlantic I think a fair top of market $$$ would be $4500.

I would try to get it for $4000.

They are fun bikes.

Good luck.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2018, 11:56 am

Garage
I may be a supersport fanboy but I think the price is fair if the mods done are what you want and the service history is in order. The frame and wheels have been powder coated and the bodywork looks to have a fresh nice paint job. I see details that it is a CR but if that does not bother you then who cares. From the 2 pictures posted it looks to be a frame off clean up. That is far better off starting point if it was done right than buying a "cheaper" bike, this owner may have done most of the hard work for you so you get the better bike for much less in the end.

Get service history and details on any mods/work done. A full tune is about 5-6 hours on a 900ss labor wise so look at local labor rates to do the math. Belts are available from Ducati for about $140 or aftermarket for about $80 a pair. There is no added labor to put belts on when you do a service anyway. Add in oil and filter,gaskets,plugs and clutch /brake fluid. In other words about $100 additional parts should cover you if using synthetic oil.

Look to see if the rear wheel is a 5.5", common upgrade and I would be surprised if it is not given the forks installed. He obviously cared enough to do some nice mods and it does not look like it was left outside under a tarp much. Ask if the frame was welded at the steering head, this is a good possibility why it had the frame painted/coated, That should be a plus. Check for chrome studs on the motor and deduct some value if they are still chrome. It does not mean you will have a issue with them but you may.

If the frame has been properly repaired, studs changed and a non-Ducati electronica rectifier on there I should think the bike should have most of the major issues covered already.
Sherpa23F likes this.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2018, 12:37 pm

That looks like it is well worth the asking price, some very tasteful and pricey upgrades, go get it before somebody else recognise it for what it is and what it's worth.

Old Yellow SuperSport
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2018, 5:00 pm

Where are the front indicators? In the mirrors?
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2018, 5:25 pm
Excel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrss View Post
Where are the front indicators? In the mirrors?
They look like the crappy Kawasaki copies from various online sources.
If so, there is a strip of LEDs in the mirror, which from my experience was the best part.

Richard Collins - 2001 900SSie I have a 2 strike policy - 2 no responses from a poster = no more responses from me to any post by them. I have a good memory!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode