Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

What do you think and what do you think its REALLY worth? '96 900SS CR w/mods

5K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  bruce19 
#1 · (Edited)
Been looking for 999's, but came across this and I'm interested. Yeah I know its down on power vs a 999, but this thing is cool and has soul. Going to call on it. No, its not original, but it appears to be very clean, well maintained and tasteful mods. Within last 100 mi's new belts, valve adjustment and fluids change. 13.6k miles & asking $5.5k.......

**I'm pretty handy with mechanics/tools, but sometimes I'll let a professional work on my bikes if time is not on my side. What should I expect to spend at a Duc dealer or private shop to do the typical belts and 2v valve adjustment for this bike?**

Yes, I'll ask the right questions and look for the obvious areas of concern/problems regarding this model of bike. What do you think?

Ducati 1098 forks with radial Brembo brakes
MotoCorse triple clamps
EBC rotors
Woodcraft clip-ons
Rizoma grips
Remote Brembo reservoir brake and clutch
New Dunlop Sportmax Q3 tires
Sharkskinz bodywork with custom paint
D&D exhaust cans
2005 M900 longer rear shock
Powder coated frame, swingarm and wheels
Ceramic coated headers

Let me know your thoughts/advice on anything specific outside the "normal" know problematic area questions I should ask the owner........thanks in advance. After looking at it I'll report back.

Attachments

See less See more
#36 ·
My 96 was not well cared for before I bought it. The wiring was stock. I blew fuses from time to time, the wire broke at the neutral switch, then the tail light quit. I snipped the zip ties holding the wiring harness to the frame, and found they were worn through in a few spots. I unplugged every connector on the bike and if the connector didn’t look good, or felt loose, or had any broken wires , I replaced it. I squeezed any connections that didn’t snap snuggly together with needle nose pliers. The headlight plug looked burnt so I replaced it. Basically fixed anything that didn’t look good. I haven’t had any wiring issues since. The wiring harness itself is still the original . Considering the work that’s already been done I’d be surprised if the p.o left the wiring alone. Sure the bikes have electrical issues, they’re 30 years old.

#37 ·
The primary issue that many folks have with the electrical system is failure of the stock regulator-rectifier and associated wiring that deals with the charging system. The fuel level sensor can be an issue as well. Other than that I can't think of anything regarding the electrical system that is worse than other bikes. Ducati does have a factory manual for these bikes. I have it, but it really isn't all that useful. The Haynes and Desmotimes manuals are more useful for DIY stuff.

#38 ·
Electrically the 90's were problem free compared to modern bikes, that does not mean they did not have an issue or two and as duc96cr has said the bike is older now which means time as well as probably more than one owner who was not afraid of doing repairs (for better or worse). I was at the dealership in 97 while these bikes were current and owned a 92 851 so I am quite familiar with some of the known issues they had.

Regulator rectifiers. #1 issue was the original ducati electronica rectifiers used on everything up to 97 (after 97 all was good for many years). There are aftermarkets that are better and some that are worse, the factory hitachi was about the best in my opinion but with some you lose the charging light on the dash. Not all ducati electronicas fail as I still see plenty many miles later but I would upgrade one on my own bike as it is often the regulator that fails and the bike will overcharge.

Headlight bulb socket. These could on occasion melt down if corrosion gets in there, keep the contacts clean and tight and you should have no issues.

Outside of that issues were rare, yes the 2 wire neutral switch leads would break off at the switch if you move them much and the front brake light switches can fail. Oh and the little white plug on the starter solenoid should be lightly zip tied in place so it can not become dislodged. Do NOT go crazy cleaning the bike and I will even vote that you never wash the bike with water, spray on wipe off cleaners are best as I have seen harsh cleaners cause corrosion on electrical connectors. Also avoid packing connectors with dielectric grease as I often find it causes more harm than good.

That's all I can think of.

#39 · (Edited)
ducvet, duc96cr & spacey......and others,

Thanks for the info! The wiring has been upgraded. Its all done nicely. I'll take a closer look at things in the morning. The former owner delivered the bike to my front door today. Damn this thing is nice and it runs/rides awesome. I cannot wait to get into the canyons!

So here's the deal. I didn't pay $5500 nor did I pay any cash at all for it. The owner just happened to be a firearms freak and former military. I just happen to be looking for another bike for spirited runs in the canyon's on Sunday mornings. I also like firearms and was looking to thin the herd in my gun safe with guns I rarely shoot anymore. We discussed, met, looked at each others goods and THE DEAL was history! So I acquired this bike in-trade. Yes, the proper paperwork and checks were completed to ensure he was legal to own the firearms, etc. We switched goods and he was on his way. I hope he doesn't wake up regretting it tomorrow morning. I could kinda see it in his face as he drove off. But I'm very happy right now!

Here's a few pics in her new home. Will move a few things around to accommodate. Thanks guys.

Attachments

#40 ·
Trades are always a great way to go and if you both are happy then win,win!

I would bet he was just as happy to see the bike go to a good home, somewhere it will not ruin all of his hard work. I would imagine he will keep your contact info just in case he someday wants to see if you are ready to trade again.

Best of luck, and welcome to the fold.

#41 · (Edited)
ducvet thanks. It’s definitely a win-win for both of us. I have a new (to me) bike and still have plenty of gats that go bang! Took care of the registration and title work today, so I’m legal and ready to put some miles on! Life for me/us gets really busy at times so I just hope I get to ride the bike as much as I’m wanting to. My VMax hardly moves, but I ride my RoadGlide with buddies all the time on nice road trips. Look forward to learning a lot more about this 900. Thanks again.

Attachments

#43 ·
Haha. I've often wondered. Its why I'll never get rid of it most likely. Other than drag bars and full Stage 6 jet kit w/Stainless Kerker system its just like it was when purchased new in '92. The V-Boost and stock pipes are long gone. I bought a new '84 V65 Magna and wish I had kept it. Sold it a few years ago to a guy in Colorado; it only had 3500 mi. He put it on a static display in his house, along with 5-6 other bikes from the 70's & 80's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.