What do you think and what do you think its REALLY worth? '96 900SS CR w/mods - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2018, 3:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyopper View Post
It's only the aluminum swingarm that cracks.

In the US the 900 SS/CR was essentially a 750SS (coffin masters, steel swingarm, 4.5" rear wheel, non-adjustable fork) with a 900 motor in it. The swingarm is interchangable between the models, many steel swingarms were traded out for aluminum ones.
yeah right, so a budget model like the 748 "economico"

What does the CR stand for? the OP's new purchase is certainly nice, it will be a nimble handler with the 4.5" wheel but yeah, the 5.5" with a 180 does look meaner back there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2018, 8:03 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by loony888 View Post
What does the CR stand for? .
Cafe Racer.
loony888 likes this.

1996 900 SS/SP #C22, 1996 916 Corsa (ex-Ferracci), 1998 916 SPS #774, 1999 748R (race), 2001 996R (US), 2001 996R (Euro), 2002 998R #481, 2011 848 EVO (race), 2008 1098R #262, 2014 1199 Superleggera #213
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2018, 8:33 am

Garage
Nice buy!

Yes as others have said the CR had the steel swingarm (you have), It may not be as sexy as a aluminum but they have been 100% problem free. Considering the paint it does not look bad so you would have to be picky to "upgrade". I would check that the swingarm is properly shimmed at the swingarm pivot as often they were loose from the factory and if painted the paint may wear causing it to loosen.

The rear 4.5" wheel is only a issue if you do not like the looks, a 5.5" can come from a supersport (any year but the water pumpers). It also can come from a 851 or early monster, pay attention to the axle size.

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2018, 9:33 am

Personally, I would leave it as is. Like Ducvet said, there are no issues with the steel swingarm and unless you know exactly what you are getting, you may be buying problems with an aluminum one. The bike won't handle any better with a 5.5 inch wheel.
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2018, 3:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducvet View Post
Nice buy!

Yes as others have said the CR had the steel swingarm (you have), It may not be as sexy as a aluminum but they have been 100% problem free. Considering the paint it does not look bad so you would have to be picky to "upgrade". I would check that the swingarm is properly shimmed at the swingarm pivot as often they were loose from the factory and if painted the paint may wear causing it to loosen.

The rear 4.5" wheel is only a issue if you do not like the looks, a 5.5" can come from a supersport (any year but the water pumpers). It also can come from a 851 or early monster, pay attention to the axle size.
Thanks!

Thanks for the info on which bikes are good wheel candidates. What is the current axle size on the bike now; factory stock 4.5" wheel? Again, NOT changing to an alum swing arm - I like the powder coated steel one in-place. Thanks.
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2018, 3:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacey View Post
Personally, I would leave it as is. Like Ducvet said, there are no issues with the steel swingarm and unless you know exactly what you are getting, you may be buying problems with an aluminum one. The bike won't handle any better with a 5.5 inch wheel.
spacey,

I'm leaving as-is, for now. I just want to grab a wheel IF is see a good deal on one. Like I said earlier, I'm not changing the steel OEM swing arm; I don't want an alum arm. Thanks.
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2018, 8:17 pm
Average Weird Guy.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducvet View Post
...the CR had the steel swingarm, It may not be as sexy as a aluminum but they have been 100% problem free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacey View Post
Like Ducvet said, there are no issues with the steel swingarm...
Agreed gentlemen. While the steel swingarms themselves were pretty much problem free it's not entirely accurate to say that the CR model steel swingarms were completely without problems.

I've got a '95 900SS CR and I can tell you from experience that the cheap ass chintzy stamped steel rear axle plates that Ducati used were a major pain in the ass. Yellow arrow in Pic 1.

The steel swingarms have a stamped scale on the top rail on either side of the swingarm as a visual aide for properly aligning the rear wheel. Pic 2.
Those crummy stamped steel axle plates would always bend and twist and warp whenever you torqued up the rear axle bolt making them pretty much completely useless as a guide for accurately aligning the rear wheel.

Go back and look closely at Pic 1 and you'll actually see that the axle plate is bent and twisted slightly clockwise on the swingarm rail.

Also because those plates would always bend and twist and warp they didn't provide much,if any,stability or clamping force on the swingarm to help keep the rear axle from slipping either. Before every ride I would have to check to make sure that the rear axle hadn't moved.

The reported fix for those crappy stamped steel plates was a set of machined aluminum axle plates from a company called Moto-Techniques. Green arrow in Pic 3.
I actually have a set of them on my parts shelf still in their original package that I bought from Motowheels many years ago. Pic 4.

The Moto-Techniques aluminum axle plates are fairly beefy and fit snug and securely on the CR model's steel swingarm rail. And like the stock steel axle plates there's also a pointer machined at the top of each plate to help with wheel alignment. Pic 5.

These machined aluminum axle plates were supposed to help make it easier to align the rear axle and more securely hold it in place.
I never ended up using them because I decided to go with a Metmachex aluminum swingarm and a set of OZ Piega rims with the 5.5 inch width rear rim instead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CR steel swingarm stamped steel axle plate.PNG
Views:	73
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	927225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stamped scale marks.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	842.5 KB
ID:	927227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moto Techniques aluminum axle plate.PNG
Views:	68
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	927229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moto Techniques axle plates.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	828.5 KB
ID:	927231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alignment pointer.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	801.6 KB
ID:	927233  

'95 900SS CR affectionately known as "The Pizza Wagon"

Last edited by stoshmonster; Aug 7th, 2018 at 8:46 pm.
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2018, 9:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoshmonster View Post
Agreed gentlemen. While the steel swingarms themselves were pretty much problem free it's not entirely accurate to say that the CR model steel swingarms were completely without problems.

I've got a '95 900SS CR and I can tell you from experience that the cheap ass chintzy stamped steel rear axle plates that Ducati used were a major pain in the ass. Yellow arrow in Pic 1.

The steel swingarms have a stamped scale on the top rail on either side of the swingarm as a visual aide for properly aligning the rear wheel. Pic 2.
Those crummy stamped steel axle plates would always bend and twist and warp whenever you torqued up the rear axle bolt making them pretty much completely useless as a guide for accurately aligning the rear wheel.

Go back and look closely at Pic 1 and you'll actually see that the axle plate is bent and twisted slightly clockwise on the swingarm rail.

Also because those plates would always bend and twist and warp they didn't provide much,if any,stability or clamping force on the swingarm to help keep the rear axle from slipping either. Before every ride I would have to check to make sure that the rear axle hadn't moved.

The reported fix for those crappy stamped steel plates was a set of machined aluminum axle plates from a company called Moto-Techniques. Green arrow in Pic 3.
I actually have a set of them on my parts shelf still in their original package that I bought from Motowheels many years ago. Pic 4.

The Moto-Techniques aluminum axle plates are fairly beefy and fit snug and securely on the CR model's steel swingarm rail. And like the stock steel axle plates there's also a pointer machined at the top of each plate to help with wheel alignment. Pic 5.

These machined aluminum axle plates were supposed to help make it easier to align the rear axle and more securely hold it in place.
I never ended up using them because I decided to go with a Metmachex aluminum swingarm and a set of OZ Piega rims with the 5.5 inch width rear rim instead.
stoshmonster,

Thanks for the solid info! And yes you are correct.....those factory plates are CHEAP! If you are interested in letting those Moto-Techniques fall of your parts shelf "for sale" I'd be interested if the price is right. PM me to let me know. If not, I'll order up a set if they're still available. Again, thank you.
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2018, 8:15 am

Garage
Yes I do agree that the cheap sheet metal side plates are a little wimpy and DO run the risk of scarring up the swingarm if not properly used. What I was talking about with the trouble free was from a defect (cracking/breaking) aspect, the side plates can make cosmetic damage but they are not an issue structurally. The billet side plates do help quite a bit and if you have a nice painted piece like you do it would be worth the cost.

I have been doing this long enough I am used to seeing the wimpy side plates used on many models and just have techniques that make them a non-issue, plus not everyone will spend the money on parts. For removal use a impact gun as the torque is low enough it should shock the nut/bolt free without turning the side plate. When tightening (or loosening) make sure the side plate is not loose on the swingarm top or bottom, a pair of channel locks will help snug things up but simply do not allow the side plates to twist when tightening goes a long way. Often times a washer between the plate and bolt helps as well.

The chain adjustment marks are just something I never trust on any swingarm regardless of type unless I verify them first, most are simply made poorly and should be considered only a reference point and not a measuring device. I always align my rear wheel from swingarm pivot (fixed point) and axle center, once you get them set the same you can determine if the mark are close enough. In this design I would not trust them other than getting you close enough to ride, for proper setting there is too much room for error.
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2018, 8:31 am
Prolific Poster Award

Every time I remove the wheel I tighten those plates up on the swing arm. Measuring between the pivot center and axle center, I was surprised to find the marks are accurate enough to use.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode