What do you think and what do you think its REALLY worth? '96 900SS CR w/mods - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2018, 6:30 pm

Check the rear swingarm for cracks where it bolts on. Mine cracked there and I had to replace it. I'm partial to full fairings myself but that is moot really. The aftermarket fairings and fork upgrade would lead me to suspect a past accident, but that wouldn't be a deal breaker as long as everything looks straight. I've laid mine down a couple times without any serious damage and they are easy to work on and repair. Mines 25 years old now and it still is a great bike, just as fun now as the day I rode it home from the dealership. I don't think I'll ever sell it even though I only take it out on the odd track day or road trip anymore.

'93 900ss. You are what you do when it counts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2018, 9:11 pm Thread Starter

Hey fella's. Thanks for the input. Pics don't do it justice. Went to see it today. ITS MINE, SNATCHED IT UP!! So excited!

This bike is very nice from all aspects. Original no-cracked frame & swing arm. I thought only the alum swing arms cracked; steel ones crack also?

Frame VIN matches title. Has original parts, so no accident history. 4.5" rear wheel. It was well thought out and put together. He's a gearhead and OCD like me, so I know all was done correctly (LOL). Can't wait to get it in the curves!!!! Judging by his size/guessed weight, I'll have to make some suspension changes in the rear shock - either crank it down more or just change the spring. What do you think it needs for a 215# new owner??

I'm gonna enjoy this thing! I'm going to enjoy learning about this bike from all of you experts also!

BTW, what are the mileage service intervals for belts/valve adjustments/oil/filter. He told me but I forgot.

Thank you all again, I truly appreciate your info and help. Back on a DUC! Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
ZADSS and RockAZ like this.

Last edited by 9-9-9; Aug 5th, 2018 at 9:31 pm.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2018, 11:07 pm
Tightly Clenched...

Garage
Congrats! Now let's see some more pics!

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2018, 3:15 am

congratulations,
On those the belts are scheduled for every two years, however plenty run them longer, especially if it's ridden often. Valve check/adjustment is every 6k miles and oil and filter changes not sure but yearly or every 3000 miles seems about right.

It's nice but i'm curious why if it's a 900 it has a steel swingarm and a 4.5" wheel, they were on 750SS not 900SS (at least over here, can't say for sure on US bikes)
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2018, 7:25 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loony888 View Post
congratulations,
On those the belts are scheduled for every two years, however plenty run them longer, especially if it's ridden often. Valve check/adjustment is every 6k miles and oil and filter changes not sure but yearly or every 3000 miles seems about right.

It's nice but i'm curious why if it's a 900 it has a steel swingarm and a 4.5" wheel, they were on 750SS not 900SS (at least over here, can't say for sure on US bikes)
L888,

Thanks for the service info. This is a 3rd bike in the stable, so I'll definitely be riding it at least every other weekend for safe spirited engagements in the mountains.

I could be wrong about the swing arm being steel versus aluminum (guess I need to put a magnet on it), but the rear wheel is 4.5" - saw the 4.5" identifier mark on one of the wheel spokes.

I remember finding/reading this thread about the swing arm, which leads me to believe mine is steel. The welds lead me to believe its steel.
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supe...-rear-rim.html

A wider wheel/tire would look good back there between those D&D's though!

Last edited by 9-9-9; Aug 6th, 2018 at 7:34 am.
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2018, 9:13 am
Prolific Poster Award

In the U.S.A the 900CR model came with the steel swing arm and 4.5 wheel.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2018, 9:18 am

In certain years the CR was a sub-model of the 900SS in the U.S. It had a slightly different equipment specification including a steel swingarm and 4.5 inch rear wheel. No performance differences.
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2018, 10:02 am Thread Starter

spacey/duc96cr,

Thanks for confirming that. I'm still wanting to find out if the pattern of cracked swing arms resides with both aluminum and steel or just aluminum only for 900's. Seems like the only pics identifying cracks I see on here are the aluminum swing arms. Can anyone confirm?
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2018, 10:16 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9-9-9 View Post
spacey/duc96cr,

Thanks for confirming that. I'm still wanting to find out if the pattern of cracked swing arms resides with both aluminum and steel or just aluminum only for 900's. Seems like the only pics identifying cracks I see on here are the aluminum swing arms. Can anyone confirm?
It's only the aluminum swingarm that cracks.

In the US the 900 SS/CR was essentially a 750SS (coffin masters, steel swingarm, 4.5" rear wheel, non-adjustable fork) with a 900 motor in it. The swingarm is interchangable between the models, many steel swingarms were traded out for aluminum ones.

1994 900 SS/CR
2017 939 Supersport S
It's Italian. If I can get it to start, it'll win.
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2018, 10:31 am Thread Starter

psyoper,

Thanks for confirming! The steel arm will remain in-place. Now I'll look for a 5.5" wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode