Fork swap 95 900ss/cr - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2018, 2:37 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Fork swap 95 900ss/cr

What is the best bang for the buck in an adjustable set-up?

1997 916 Mono and 1995 900SS/CR Both red, of course
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2018, 3:02 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Iím going to guess itís a pair of SP forks with GSXR internals and the correct straight rate springs. I bought the SP forks and used GSXR forks on eBay, then a pair of RaceTech springs and seals, total cost about $400. You can then use your stock wheel , axle, and speedo drive, or convert to the later axle and drive for little extra. Most of the other fork conversions leave you in an expensive situation with regard to the wheel, brakes, axle, and speedo drive. So, while you can buy Superbike forks reasonably, the rest of the conversion is expensive .
RockAZ likes this.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2018, 3:47 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Where would you shop for a reasonably priced sp forks?

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2018, 4:39 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwemple View Post
Where would you shop for a reasonably priced sp forks?
The classifieds here, or on the Monster forums. Ebay of course. Check with Ed Milich at guzzipower.com, or with "Used Ducati Parts" on Facebook. I've been having increasingly good luck finding parts that people are listing for sale in the various Facebook groups as well.

1994 900 SS/CR
2017 939 Supersport S
It's Italian. If I can get it to start, it'll win.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2018, 4:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post
Iím going to guess itís a pair of SP forks with GSXR internals and the correct straight rate springs. I bought the SP forks and used GSXR forks on eBay, then a pair of RaceTech springs and seals, total cost about $400. You can then use your stock wheel , axle, and speedo drive, or convert to the later axle and drive for little extra. Most of the other fork conversions leave you in an expensive situation with regard to the wheel, brakes, axle, and speedo drive. So, while you can buy Superbike forks reasonably, the rest of the conversion is expensive .
I'd second this suggestion as this is what I had on my SS. I started off with the Showa forks as my bike was an SP to begin with, but there is a design defect which makes it so the rebound damping and compression damping circuits cannot operate independently. I picked up a beat up set of GSXR600 forks off eBay for $60, a pair of RaceTech springs correct for my weight from a forum member here for $100 or so, the whole process was done in a day and I'm not known for my speed as a mechanic. I did a write-up with some pictures on how I did it in the SS forum.

'09 Multistrada 1100s
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2018, 5:04 pm

if your 95 has showa non adj forks you could put the gsxr cartridges in them and run without compression adj. or have someone make them single function - there's a fella out here who does that. that way you only need the top adjusters.

Brad The Bike Boy
www.bikeboy.org
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2018, 5:30 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspear99ca View Post
I'd second this suggestion as this is what I had on my SS. I started off with the Showa forks as my bike was an SP to begin with, but there is a design defect which makes it so the rebound damping and compression damping circuits cannot operate independently. I picked up a beat up set of GSXR600 forks off eBay for $60, a pair of RaceTech springs correct for my weight from a forum member here for $100 or so, the whole process was done in a day and I'm not known for my speed as a mechanic. I did a write-up with some pictures on how I did it in the SS forum.
So you ran GSXR forks not Duc forks with GSXR inserts?

post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2018, 10:40 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwemple View Post
So you ran GSXR forks not Duc forks with GSXR inserts?
His write up with all the details is here: https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-super...internals.html

Scott - 1993 900SS
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2018, 11:17 am

FWIW, I found the frankenforks with GSXR internals to be an improvement over the stock parts, mainly because I could quickly and easily adjust the damping. It also seemed to me that the forks were able to respond to bumps quicker resulting in better traction overall. But the biggest difference I made to my suspension was actually the Racetech springs. Night and day better than the stock progressive OEM springs. Changing the ancient fork oil may have had an effect as well, but the springs got rid of the big front-end dive under hard braking as the progressive springs loaded up and compressed through the soft portion of the travel range. YMMV.

'09 Multistrada 1100s
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2018, 11:39 am Thread Starter

Garage
Since I would have to change the entire fork tubes, I thought I heard about using fork tubes from a GSXR

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode