Quiet Dry clutch in neutral? - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 93 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2009, 5:30 pm

Garage
in neutral. . .

How else are you going to know if your Ducati is running, if you can't hear the clutch jangling?

Fred

1996 SS/SP B52 40k miles
MBP collets / 748 front rotors / 4.5" rear wheel / Sharkskins / Nichols frame bolts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 93 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2009, 6:56 pm

Wink

Here I was thinking you could judge ones manhood by the loudness of his clutch ... lol

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright red, hunchback, warp-speed 900cc café racer is one of them -- but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one" Hunter S. Thompson

Bikes:
1994 900 Supersport R.I.P.
1997 900 Supersport
post #13 of 93 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2009, 1:21 pm

quiet clutch

thanks for this info. I'm curious about leaving out a couple of the springs as was described. I will admit i would not mind less effort at the clutch lever. Any risk or downside to leaving out 2 springs?

post #14 of 93 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2009, 4:19 pm

I think you should be cautious about leaving springs out. Another option would be to use lighter duty springs.
post #15 of 93 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2009, 4:45 pm

Done it, it works, no change in the clutch action either. Rather than removing clutch springs, it would be better to install a larger slave cylinder. There are lots of them on the market and not only do they make the clutch pull noticeably lighter, they make the engagement range wider giving you more clutch control.

Jerry
04 ST4s
post #16 of 93 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2009, 8:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry5 View Post
Done it, it works, no change in the clutch action either. Rather than removing clutch springs, it would be better to install a larger slave cylinder. There are lots of them on the market and not only do they make the clutch pull noticeably lighter, they make the engagement range wider giving you more clutch control.

Jerry
04 ST4s
how are you going to get more range with a bigger slave?your going to have less travel and less disengagement. i'm a skinny old guy and i use two fingers on the lever.i did upgrade to the evoloutione piston with two o rings.

98 900ss/fe #287
you can tell a lot about someone by how they react to a large heavy object falling on them
post #17 of 93 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2009, 9:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadron View Post
how are you going to get more range with a bigger slave?your going to have less travel and less disengagement. i'm a skinny old guy and i use two fingers on the lever.i did upgrade to the evoloutione piston with two o rings.
Actually you will cover a wider range at the clutch lever, less range at the clutch plates.

Jerry
04 ST4s
post #18 of 93 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2009, 3:39 pm

Safety

If surrounding motorists can't hear your clutch then you might get run over. (Sorry, I also ride a Harley so my reality is skewed)
post #19 of 93 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2009, 12:06 am Thread Starter

Wow, there were no responses when I first posted this so I didn't think anyone cared! I actually tried to answer some earlier questions but for some reason it did not post! Maybe I forgot to log in?

Most flames were typical.....why would you want to quiet a dry clutch......to possible wear issues. Most who commented on wear issues were speculating since they did not do the mod. I may try this over the weekend.

Euro spec 88 BMW Dinan M5
2013 Mini Cooper - Bayswater Edition
95 900 SP - # 619 (custom red frame & black body work)

http://e28-535i.com/upload/sigduc_1.jpg
post #20 of 93 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2009, 3:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredSmoot23 View Post
How else are you going to know if your Ducati is running, if you can't hear the clutch jangling?

Fred
That's the beauty of this mod, you still get the lovely tambourine sound with the lever pulled, but lose the "oops I left a wrench in my crankcase" sound in neutral / lever out...
I did the mod, (a variation) this afternoon, and can hear my arrows for the first time. Feel and engagement point unchanged, still stands up with a crack of throttle, and neutral is easy to find.

Kurt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode