Carbed 900ss Restovation - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2017, 1:49 pm Thread Starter

Carbed 900ss Restovation

Hey folks,

Have a 92 that I want to restore/renovate a bit as it's suffering from neglect. Have any of you removed all the smog/emissions stuff successfully on a street bike? Is there a how-to by chance? I'd love to drop the motor and have the frame powdercoated, but I'm pretty sure I'll never get all that stuff back in place if I do!
Thanks in advance...
Pags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2017, 2:49 pm

I completely rebuilt my 93 900SS including having the frame powdercoated.Buy yourself a Haynes manual and take lots and lots and lots and lots of photos. Every item from every angle including those that you think are too trivial. Good luck with it.
Punch, jimmyjojo and jahjah like this.

Current bike 1993 900SS
Previous 3 x ST2, Aprilia Futura & Tuono, Laverda 750 Sport and 650 sport, Moto Guzzi 750 Targa, Honda Deauville (yes I know!), Honda CB500, CB72 & 400/4, Royal Enfield Crusader, Triumph Tiger Cub. 2 x Honda 125gp track bikes, Rotax/Nico Bakker 125 track bike & lots of others that I have even forgot about or I am ashamed to admit to.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2017, 3:08 pm Thread Starter

Yeah - I've rebuilt many, many bikes, but prefer the simplicity of those destined for the track. If I could slim down this plumbing quite a bit I'd be much more willing to go down to the frame that's for sure. Pics, lots of pics - take 2 of the same thing from each side, etc -- sage advice for sure, and something I'm prone to doing as well.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2017, 9:05 am

Garage
A 1992 Ducati only had a charcoal canister in the state of california (USA) not sure where you are or what you are looking at for emissions?
Pictures?

As stated they are easy to work on bikes so go slow and you should be fine, watch for known issues that should be fixed BEFORE powdercoating. The 92 in the US did not crack its frame but you want to make sure first. The original swingarm did crack at the swingarm pivot so look at that carefully if you have the early version (many were warrantied to a better design ).
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2017, 12:06 pm Thread Starter

Pics of the project as it's going along.https://photos.app.goo.gl/Uv9QenUJlJTYF22q1 Note, the pics make it seem not that bad at first, but there are years of neglect sitting on this thing for sure.

You'll also note the crack in the swingarm, which has since been replaced. Frame has been inspected and is good, but corroded in a few spots with paint peeling and discoloration.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2017, 2:03 pm

Garage
Nice early 900, take care of that tank there are not many like it.

Not sure of your plans but I like the early bikes like yours as they were slightly different, some good some not so much. Yes that is the early crack prone swingarm and that's how they often break, later design was better. Replacing it with the same at least keeps it period correct and original though you may have the same issue some day.

I have not seen a white frame crack though I think Brad Black has mentioned one in Australia doing so , maybe from being upside down...lol .
You also have a short crank motor so know that the left side engine cover is no longer available so take care of it, make sure the alternator flywheel nut has been loctited to prevent it from damaging the cover.

Gotta love a white frame bike!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2017, 2:21 pm Thread Starter

[INDENT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducvet View Post
Gotta love a white frame bike!
That's literally half the reason I want to take care of this old girl! Good info on the left side engine cover - it's a mess right now and will be removed and refreshed for sure.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2017, 4:55 pm
Average Weird Guy.

Garage
It's almost comically simple to tear down and reassemble an old SS Pags. As previously stated a Haynes manual and lotsa pics and you'll be fine.

Just a heads-up,sequentially number each one of your pics that way you'll know the order in which you disassembled things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pizza Wagon tear down pic.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	371.0 KB
ID:	880161   Click image for larger version

Name:	partspics250.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	880169  

'95 900SS CR affectionately known as "The Pizza Wagon"
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2017, 6:34 pm

My '92 looks just like yours. Mine had a charcoal canister behind the headlight and carburetor breather tanks connected to the side of the frame. All of the stuff was removed by the dealer prior to delivery. This resulted in the fuel tank breather hose going into the steerer tube; the crankcase vent line replaced with a line that tucks into the tail with a K&N filter on it; a connection to the airbox plugged; and I don't remember what happened with the carb plumbing as I have since replaced them with FCR carbs.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2017, 7:06 pm Thread Starter

Your 900 is far cleaner than mine will probably ever be - nice work! Timestamps take care of the photo sequencing - no worries there.

But let me be clear - I just want to remove some of that stuff permanently - not just to coat the frame.

Pags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode