rear brake rod - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 132 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2009, 9:48 pm

the non floating type has the action of keeping the rear of the bike from rising as much when the rear brake is applied. this may be an advantage in some situations. that being said my floating rear has an annoying vibration when the rear brake is gently applied due to a very slight play in the heim joint

98 900ss/fe #287
you can tell a lot about someone by how they react to a large heavy object falling on them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 132 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2009, 11:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdietz186 View Post
Keep in mind that the caliper mount has to be able to float on the axle and the stock bracket is captive when the axle is tight.The advantage gained by a floating brake is very slight unless you do a lot of hard braking on rough surfaces.For strength and security a 10mm or 3/8" rod end should be used.

Whew, what a relief to know that. I was worried I screwed something up after changing my rear tire! I noticed the bracket was floating and thought I didn't have the axle bolts tight enough! It's so much fun being a newb!

Euro spec 88 BMW Dinan M5
2013 Mini Cooper - Bayswater Edition
95 900 SP - # 619 (custom red frame & black body work)

http://e28-535i.com/upload/sigduc_1.jpg
post #23 of 132 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2009, 6:58 am Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadron View Post
the non floating type has the action of keeping the rear of the bike from rising as much when the rear brake is applied. this may be an advantage in some situations. that being said my floating rear has an annoying vibration when the rear brake is gently applied due to a very slight play in the heim joint
I thought it was just the opposite. The floating rear brake with the rod put the braking forces directly into the engine case, thus preventing the rear suspension from compressing under braking? I do know that they are popular on mountain bikes...

Last edited by dirkwrong; Aug 12th, 2009 at 7:51 am.

post #24 of 132 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2009, 5:53 pm

Hi dirkwright, any updates on your SS??

About the rod...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
...carbon fiber rod...
I don't want to worry you but I know of cases where the carbon fiber rod broke under braking!!! I think the factory replaced the CF one with either alloy or steel ones (not sure on the material).

You better make a new rod soon and keep the carbon one on your desk at home .

2005 red SS 1000ds
post #25 of 132 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2009, 5:58 pm Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGAKATS View Post
Hi dirkwright, any updates on your SS??

About the rod...

I don't want to worry you but I know of cases where the carbon fiber rod broke under braking!!! I think the factory replaced the CF one with either alloy or steel ones (not sure on the material).

You better make a new rod soon and keep the carbon one on your desk at home .
I didn't know that Ducati made a CF brake rod. Mine is ruined unfortunately, by my own mistake. I didn't know they broke on other bikes. I would be surprised that a properly designed CF rod would break. That stuff is really strong!
post #26 of 132 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2009, 11:23 am Thread Starter
Banned

Well, I took that brake rod apart and man it's a piece of crap. The carbon fiber tube was just for decoration! There was a stainless steel threaded rod running up the inside! No wonder this thing was so heavy.

So, now I need to do this properly. I cut off the threaded rod and I need to find some carbon fiber tubing with a 12mm ID, or as close as I can get to that.
post #27 of 132 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2009, 11:52 am
Chilehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadron View Post
the non floating type has the action of keeping the rear of the bike from rising as much when the rear brake is applied.
Quote:
The floating rear brake with the rod put the braking forces directly into the engine case, thus preventing the rear suspension from compressing under braking?
Both statements are true. The first is about NON-floating, the second about floating.

Tom

1985 LeMans
1986 LeMans w/ sidecar
1992 XV250
1998 ST2
2003 SS1000DS
2003 999R #29

www.motogiro.com

post #28 of 132 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2009, 6:34 pm

Quote:
Well, I took that brake rod apart and man it's a piece of crap. The carbon fiber tube was just for decoration! There was a stainless steel threaded rod running up the inside! No wonder this thing was so heavy.

2005 red SS 1000ds
post #29 of 132 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2009, 7:09 pm Thread Starter
Banned

After much searching and measuring, I realized that I can't find the right size carbon fiber tube to fit the old ends. So, what I can do though is buy some 1/2" thick wall aluminum tube and get some carbon fiber tube with about 1/2" ID. Then I would cut the Al tube, thread the inside, and glue it in the end of the CF tube. Do the same at the other end. Simple pimple.
post #30 of 132 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2009, 10:58 pm

If you do that let us all know where you are going to be riding so we can be far away when it comes apart,locks the wheel, and sends you flying.From what I've seen of structural carbon fiber bits anything that takes a load in tension uses a threaded insert that was wrapped in the carbon during its manufacture and molded in place.I don't think any commercially available glue would be suitable for your intended application.I would suggest getting a piece of 5/8" aluminum rod and tapping the ends to take 3/8" male rod ends and then wrap it in some of that carbon look contact paper.It will be much much safer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode