Looking for hard to find ST2 cams - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 1:06 pm Thread Starter
Premium Member

Looking for hard to find ST2 cams

I am working on a 900SS/SP motor. I am looking for ST2 cams to go along with the 944 Pistal pistons and head work. I know they are hard to find but can anyone point me in a direction on my search?
Thanks, Stephen

Stephen
1965 350 Sebring, 1965 250 Scrambler, 1994 900SS/SP, 1997 900SS/SP, 2016 Scrambler Icon, 1986 Honda VFR 750, 1995 Honda VFR 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 5:44 pm

The SSie cams are close to the profile of the ST2 cams, and perhaps, easier to find.

1998 SS FE #194
2005 749R #362
2006 999 S
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2017, 12:39 pm

The ST2 cams have lift similar to the carb cams, yet have longer duration.
The FI cams have more lift than either ST2 or carb cam, yet sort duration similar to the carb cam.
VeeTwo and others make 900 2V cams, but are not considered "drop-in" cams.
Squish with hi comp pistons becomes an issue.

FI cams were designed to work with the short intakes associated with the individual injectors that the FI SS had.
ST2 cams seem to work will with SS that still use the long intakes and paired carbs.
Both are an improvement over the carb cams.

ST2 donor bikes have been well picked over, and FI cams are easier to procure.
Keep your eye's peeled on ebay etc ...

'03 Moto Guzzi V11 Lemans
'98 900 FE (#46)
'97 750M (904cc)
'93 900SS (track bike)

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2017, 7:59 am
Prolific Poster Award

The ST2 cams are sort of an urban legend, I think. They command big money when you can find them. The longer duration is a good thing if your running high compression. What kind of increase are we talking here, 2-3 hp ?

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2017, 6:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post
The ST2 cams are sort of an urban legend, I think. They command big money when you can find them. The longer duration is a good thing if your running high compression. What kind of increase are we talking here, 2-3 hp ?
yeah. i've never seen any published proof they are a worthwhile addition to a long manifold engine. not sure if eric has or did when he was with bruce?

eric?

Brad The Bike Boy
www.bikeboy.org
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2017, 8:36 pm

Garage
Lol... no Bruce was/is a fan of them and I have used them in many race bikes from 900's 750's and I have put them in 3 800's so far. Problem is without back to back runs you never know truly what you gained with them vs a 900ie cam.Each case was a full build where everything was thrown at it at once. It has just been something you used because it worked well in the last one.

I almost grabbed a set last fall "just for testing" purposes in one of my own bikes. One day I will have the time to make a valid comparison. It is better to Have Brad do it as he will do a proper write up on it, I have no time and can barley string sentences together.

And if anyone complains about adjusting ducati valves they should do a VTEC VFR800, they may be happy with them but just checking involves pulling all 4 cams twice....
and that's if they are all in spec!!! But its a Honda, you never have to adjust them! Except I am needing to order about 5 shim buckets at about $30 each
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2017, 9:23 pm

"sorry mate, i only work on italian bikes."

never stray from the rule.

says he who has just finished a 72,000 service on a 2014 mts1200. i like to stick something long, pointy and hard up the arses of the pricks who designed them.

Brad The Bike Boy
www.bikeboy.org
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2017, 10:49 pm

Garage
Yes, agreed.

Today has been Ducati appreciation day but all it will take is a new Ducati to end that too.

I did a 2011 mts 1200 a couple weeks back and have to think designers should be forced to work on their own creations.
Where have you gone Massimo Tamburini, you are missed daily
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2017, 11:20 pm
Average Weird Guy.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducvet View Post
And if anyone complains about adjusting ducati valves they should do a VTEC VFR800, they may be happy with them but just checking involves pulling all 4 cams twice....
and that's if they are all in spec!!!
Been there done that Ducvet,I own an '03. It's a very labor intensive procedure just to find out that nothing needs adjusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducvet View Post
But its a Honda, you never have to adjust them!
Agreed. I've also got an '04 RC51 with over 42K miles on it and the valve clearances are still within spec.

FWIW Ducvet I installed a set 92mm FBF high comps and a set of ST2 cams in my '95. Got the cams many years ago brand new in the box from a friend of mine who works the parts counter at my local Ducati dealership. He had 3 carby 900SS's and was saving them for a build that he never got around to.

With the ST2 cams installed at about 3800 revs you can audibly hear the exhaust note change from a burbling thump to a tight focused throbbing thrum,kinda like a huge machine lathe at full song. As the tach needle sweeps past 4000 revs the engine immediately gets your attention and becomes noticeably livelier. It carries that power surge up to right about 7500 revs or so. That was with the stock airbox,stock 38mm Mikuni's,and long intakes still installed.

Coupla years later I installed a set of 41mm racked FCR's and with the increased throttle response that those carbs provided it just accentuated that power surge at 4K revs. Every one of my buddies who rode the bike mentioned it.

In my experience I think the best way to describe the ST2 cams is that below 4K revs you have a nice docile around town bike and after 4K revs you have this sort of angry bumble bee.
The engine power characteristics with the stock cams installed felt nothing like that.

'95 900SS CR affectionately known as "The Pizza Wagon"
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2017, 11:52 pm

cool.

Brad The Bike Boy
www.bikeboy.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode