Looking for hard to find ST2 cams - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2017, 1:17 am

st2 cams have more duration than the 900ssie (esp exhaust) and the same lift, and both have more duration than the 900 carb. they have similar lobe separation

would be interesting to see the lift profiles. the st2 seemed to go flat earlier than the 900ssie, but it did also have a bit shorter inlet tract.

Brad The Bike Boy
www.bikeboy.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2017, 9:21 pm

Send the details of your engine and what you want at the end of the rebuild to Tuning-Teile kaufen und Tuning Tips | Ducati & Aprilia-Tuning Kämna and they will match up a cam for you. I have ended up doing the same and they have come back with a high torque cam from Schrick that is better al-round than the 210
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2017, 12:30 am

how much are the schrick cams?

Brad The Bike Boy
www.bikeboy.org

post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2017, 3:44 am

660 Euro's (I think) at set.
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2019, 11:34 am

Garage
Might be worth bumping this thread...

Anyone still looking for ST2 cams?

Pair of used cams for €250...
Don't know what the regular price for a set like these is but it seems to me that it's a fair price (considering how 'rare' they seem to be...)

Sold by a dutch guy who trades in second hand Ducati parts. His email is in the bottom of the description.

Don't blame me if they're crap...

1997 Ducati 900 SS Full Fairing
post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2019, 11:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoshmonster View Post
Been there done that Ducvet,I own an '03. It's a very labor intensive procedure just to find out that nothing needs adjusting.

Agreed. I've also got an '04 RC51 with over 42K miles on it and the valve clearances are still within spec.

FWIW Ducvet I installed a set 92mm FBF high comps and a set of ST2 cams in my '95. Got the cams many years ago brand new in the box from a friend of mine who works the parts counter at my local Ducati dealership. He had 3 carby 900SS's and was saving them for a build that he never got around to.

With the ST2 cams installed at about 3800 revs you can audibly hear the exhaust note change from a burbling thump to a tight focused throbbing thrum,kinda like a huge machine lathe at full song. As the tach needle sweeps past 4000 revs the engine immediately gets your attention and becomes noticeably livelier. It carries that power surge up to right about 7500 revs or so. That was with the stock airbox,stock 38mm Mikuni's,and long intakes still installed.

Coupla years later I installed a set of 41mm racked FCR's and with the increased throttle response that those carbs provided it just accentuated that power surge at 4K revs. Every one of my buddies who rode the bike mentioned it.

In my experience I think the best way to describe the ST2 cams is that below 4K revs you have a nice docile around town bike and after 4K revs you have this sort of angry bumble bee.
The engine power characteristics with the stock cams installed felt nothing like that.
I don't mean to dig up an old thread but I've spent about 30 minutes scouring the forums for some kind of dyno or anecdotal account of how SS IE cams perform a carby 900 (not an 800SS which seems like a popular bike for these cams) and so far your post was the most wholesome. I had to personally thank you. I was going to sell my IE cams but after having read your account I think I would much rather keep them. Plus, I'm throwing in Bruce Meyer HC/11.5 Pistals that have really deep reliefs. Hopefully it can not only accept the oversized valves, but also have enough clearance for the higher lift of the IE cams.

On which exhaust did you have this experience? I see you have Termigs in your picture but I'm unsure if that was part of your setup at the time of the account.
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2019, 7:03 am

i did a cam profile comparison that shows how they all compare: Brad The Bike Boy: Ducati 2V cam profile comparisons

know all wanker
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2019, 5:04 pm
Average Weird Guy.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by samadhi View Post
On which exhaust did you have this experience? I see you have Termigs in your picture but I'm unsure if that was part of your setup at the time of the account.
Those aren't Termi's that you see on my bike in my signature pic Sam those are American made c/f low mount D&D pipes.
At the time I was running the stock header and those D&D pipes with stock size 92mm FBF high comp pistons,the ST2 cams,and racked 41mm FCR's.

I'm doing a complete ground-up rebuild on my bike and this time around I'm planning on running a bump kit with 94mm 11.5/1 JE high comp pistons,ported and polished heads,the ST2 cams,split single 41mm FCR's with short intake manifolds,lotsa lightened engine internals,and a Sil Moto spaghetti header with FBF c/f high mount pipes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Pizza Wagon.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	950513  

'95 900SS CR affectionately known as "The Pizza Wagon"
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2019, 7:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by belter View Post
i did a cam profile comparison that shows how they all compare: Brad The Bike Boy: Ducati 2V cam profile comparisons
That was an insightful write-up, thanks.

I read the section where the 8J was dyno'd but if I recall correctly it was compared against W heads with R cams. I was curious what the difference would be between 8J and HT on carby V2 heads.
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2019, 9:33 pm

well, you could get a carby 900, test it and let us know. i think the manifolds will hurt any cam you try to increase the top end with, but the extra duration would help somewhat. certainly the power increase you get from short manifolds is what most people will expect from a cam - tilting the torque curve to a top end bias. the vee two 210 grind helps lift the torque curve, not sure how the top end would be with a short manifold and this cam.

know all wanker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode