Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum (https://www.ducati.ms/forums/)
-   Supersport (https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/)
-   -   916 Front Fork Conversion Completed (https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/64027-916-front-fork-conversion-completed.html)

countcoupe May 5th, 2009 9:12 am

916 Front Fork Conversion Completed

5 Attachment(s)
Following Joels 1000ds/93 supersport special there seems to have been interest in putting 999 forks on a carby supersport.
I have put a 916 front end on my 93 900ss. My bike started off life as a 750 and I have slowly being turning it into the bike I want.
This winter I have finished the front end and fitted a 900ss rear wheel. I keep swapping from superlight seat to orignal seat with rear grab bar removed. I have also been experimenting with different handle bars.

VoxxScorze May 5th, 2009 9:36 am

Im doing the same project right now, what are you running for clipons? Also any trouble w/ the speedo sensor? I swapped the internal gear over so itll read right but the sensor isn't fitting right to the wheel, it spins "free" but then itll catch and move with the wheel, spin free a bit then catch again.

ENGAKATS May 5th, 2009 7:55 pm

Nice!

How do you find the 916 forks on the SS? Did you revalve them?

countcoupe May 6th, 2009 5:17 am

I have yet to take full advantage of the new forks! When I first fitted them I had them to low in the clamps. I could not get the bike to go round corners!! It took a few miles for me to realise that that was the problem! I have just raised them but due to lack of sun and work I have not had chance to try a run out!! I have not revalved them!

I still have speedo issues! I bought a 916 speedo drive but could not swap my pre 95 ss speedo drive gears into it. I then bought a monster speedo drive which turned out to have then same internals as a 916!!
My speedo reads to fast. Work in progress!!

My original idea was to have 916 clipons under the top clamp but realised that the old style coffin master cylinders would not fit! I then bought a pair of these: http://www.ducati-kaemna.de/cms_en/k...el&artikel=287

Once fitted they were useless!!! The clamp part hit the frame on full lock and massively reduced the turning circle! So, a couple of master cylinders later I fitted the 916 clip ons. Having them under the top clamp means the master cylinders hit the clock! So for now as you can see they are above the top clamp!

Floundering May 6th, 2009 7:25 am

Looking good. Although it would look a little better with a red frame :D

I had the same problems with the clip ons and master cylinders. I liked the Swatt 2 1/2" riser ones that I used but I had to modify those just a tad so they wouldn't limit my turning radius. No way to modify the ones you bought? Shave them down a bit where they touch the frame?

I'm having no problems with switching the brake reservoir to a smaller clutch reservoir. Really gives you some room (if it's hitting the fairing) and was cheap.

countcoupe May 6th, 2009 11:34 am

Cheers Joel.

No way of chopping the handle bars to give me full lock!! It is a terminal problem!
With the 916 clip ons under the top clamp the clutch and front brake lever assembles hit the clocks where the hoses attach!

ENGAKATS May 6th, 2009 12:21 pm

Maybe a pair of longer handlebars will allow you to put the grips-switches-MCs further out so they won't hit the instruments... :think::think:

countcoupe May 6th, 2009 6:35 pm

Not a bad Idea. May have a look tomorrow. I think it would have to be to wide though. Had not thought of that so thanks.:)

ENGAKATS May 6th, 2009 6:42 pm

:):)

When a fitted the radial MC, I needed longer ones. I got a pair from JHP. Give them a call tomorrow ;)

duc96cr Nov 18th, 2010 8:37 pm

The superbike forks are cheaper on Ebay. You can still find the older caliper spacing and some come with triples. Will someone tell me what the solution is to the speedo drive issue is ? This is way too popular a conversion for someone not to have come up with a reasonable solution.