The new Ducati Super Sport (2017) - Page 44 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #431 of 436 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2016, 6:31 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Clarkston, Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I hear you. Marketing aside, it's the closest Ducati has come in the last 10 years to an ST. My idea of sport-touring is (I believe) similar to Ducati's; more sport than touring.

The bags could be a deal-breaker for me, but I'm hopeful there will be a way to mount hard cases. I've seen the ST cases mounted on a few Monsters and actually look like a factory setup. I've also seen guys fully loaded on multi-week tours on their Monsters and (at least claim to be) perfectly content. Many of the bikes seem pretty versatile.

I remain hopeful. But we shall see...

...otherwise, there may be a Tursimo Veloce in my future
Ducati is kind of funny when it comes to what each model should be. I had a 2014 Monster 1200 and talked to one of their California people at the final Indy motoGP about adding some real wind protection to that bike, as it could be used for long-distance riding. I suggested something like the original Monster 1/4 fairing or a little larger, something bigger than the tiny windscreen that covers the gauge cluster they've used so far. Their reply was that they didn't think a larger fairing was consistent with the bike's image, so they weren't going to do one. My point: Don't expect to see hard luggage for the SS, at least not from Ducati.

On your Turismo Veloce comment, I also own an MV F3, so I like that bike. My issue would be traveling distance on that machine with the paucity of dealers in the US. I'm in the Detroit area and have to go to Chicago for service.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2117_zps073cdcde (2).jpg
Views:	1000
Size:	681.0 KB
ID:	772874  
rz33v4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #432 of 436 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2016, 6:17 am
Prolific Poster Award
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Liberty Hill (Lebanon), CT, USA
Posts: 8,545
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rz33v4 View Post
Ducati is kind of funny when it comes to what each model should be. I had a 2014 Monster 1200 and talked to one of their California people at the final Indy motoGP about adding some real wind protection to that bike, as it could be used for long-distance riding. I suggested something like the original Monster 1/4 fairing or a little larger, something bigger than the tiny windscreen that covers the gauge cluster they've used so far. Their reply was that they didn't think a larger fairing was consistent with the bike's image, so they weren't going to do one. My point: Don't expect to see hard luggage for the SS, at least not from Ducati.

On your Turismo Veloce comment, I also own an MV F3, so I like that bike. My issue would be traveling distance on that machine with the paucity of dealers in the US. I'm in the Detroit area and have to go to Chicago for service.
Isn't it odd how Ducati confuses themselves? They don't want to put a 1/4 faring on a Monster (a very good solution IMO) because it isn't consistent with the image but they build a Multi with the idea that it's a "do all" bike. Then they build the Multi strictly to ADV ergos rather than making it truly "do all." As I've said before, I've got my SS1000DS so the chances of me selling it for another bike are minimal. But, I've often thought Ducati could have turned the Monster, Multi and even the SC line into the new SS without much effort. Strange. At least to me. BTW, that MV F3 is gorgeous. IMO what the 998 should have evolved into.

bruce19
'01 Monster S4
bruce19 is offline  
post #433 of 436 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2016, 8:05 am
Senior Member
 
ducvet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: lakes region, NH, usa
Posts: 3,365
Garage
Images: 1
Bruce
It is funny I work on a number of Mv's and as a mechanic outside of the obvious motor differences they are built much closer to a 998 than a modern Ducati is. Most items are well thought out and make sense without extra parts just to have them.

It seems the further we get away from Massimo Tamburini's designs the more they become like everything else. I think it would be great for any bike designer to be forced to work on bikes for a year. We might see a return to his design philosophy.

I do agree with rz33v4 the problem with Mv is not the bikes it is the lack of support, there are not enough dealers in the system. Mv would like to add more for sure but if you are paying attention to their history they do not look to be a safe bet as a business.
SoCalDuc, Serious Black and ZADSS like this.
ducvet is offline  
 
post #434 of 436 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2016, 2:08 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2
I got to sit on one

Adelaide Motorcyle Centre had a reveal evening. The white Silk SuperSport S

I had a sit on this great looking bike, no key : preproduction so they didn't know if it would start up.
Really quite comfortable, I can't wait for a test ride. The white is a nice satin finish so my first thought this bike needs to be wrapped.


Parked Motorcycle Syndrome - There is only one cure
Rors47 is offline  
post #435 of 436 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2016, 2:22 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Stavanger, , Norway
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducvet View Post
Bruce
It is funny I work on a number of Mv's and as a mechanic outside of the obvious motor differences they are built much closer to a 998 than a modern Ducati is. Most items are well thought out and make sense without extra parts just to have them.

It seems the further we get away from Massimo Tamburini's designs the more they become like everything else. I think it would be great for any bike designer to be forced to work on bikes for a year. We might see a return to his design philosophy.

I do agree with rz33v4 the problem with Mv is not the bikes it is the lack of support, there are not enough dealers in the system. Mv would like to add more for sure but if you are paying attention to their history they do not look to be a safe bet as a business.
Probably the most sensible thing written on the thread so far!

It's called a bloody oil GALLERY!
Serious Black is offline  
post #436 of 436 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2016, 5:47 pm
Senior Member
 
Nikk11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Adelaide, Sth Australia, Australia
Posts: 414
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rors47 View Post
Adelaide Motorcyle Centre had a reveal evening. The white Silk SuperSport S

I had a sit on this great looking bike, no key : preproduction so they didn't know if it would start up.
Really quite comfortable, I can't wait for a test ride. The white is a nice satin finish so my first thought this bike needs to be wrapped.

& this would be it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3507.JPG
Views:	618
Size:	535.9 KB
ID:	774698   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3506.JPG
Views:	491
Size:	517.6 KB
ID:	774706   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3508.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	774714  

2000 996
The best views are seen from within a motorcycle helmet
Nikk11 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recidivist Super Sport Owner. 98FE#54 Welcome and Introduction 2 Jul 10th, 2016 10:45 pm
Verlicchi Frames on the Super Sport vjc Supersport 1 Jun 23rd, 2016 3:51 am
My 99 750 Super Sport jjolly3 Welcome and Introduction 1 Jun 13th, 2016 5:16 pm
Super sport 1000ds service manual error on fuel lines at tank Lou Supersport 0 Apr 30th, 2016 7:48 pm
FS: New Virgin 5AM ECU for 2006 Super Sport 1000 USA 28641021C cityzen Parts and Accessories 2 Jan 1st, 2016 9:51 pm

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome