What "new" or "other" bike is closest to Supersports - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 154 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 11:25 am Thread Starter

Ok guys. You have convinced me, and I will unashamedly blame you when my wife asks. I think this can be an unofficial WTB thread. If you want to skim, just read the bold.

WTB:
-95-97 900 SP (wiggle room, especially with proof of replaced frame). Much less interested in CRs.
-Red (I'm only going to have one, it's gotta be red). If everything else is perfect, I might consider another color for the right price.
-Unmolested, but higher miles ok if clearly well maintained.
-Tasteful and streetable mods ok(exhaust, mufflers, carbs, etc.).
-Anything else you would add???
-Finally...it needs to be "ride home" distance from Portland, Oregon. It makes me really nervous to buy sight unseen, trust a shipping company, wire money, etc. I know this significantly reduces the number of bikes, but I've been "patient" for two decades, why would I rush now?
-$$$$- Varies based on condition of bike. Anything less than $3k I probably don't want. Over $6k and it needs to be essentially perfect. Not flawless, but matching my criteria. Obviously I'm not going to spend more than I think the bike is worth. I was planning on about a $5-6k TOTAL investment, including work if needed. If this is unrealistic, let me know.

I would also consider a 1000ds matching the above criteria except year. Less interested in a fuel injected 900, but if the price is right... No 600s, 750s, or 800s.
PhilBoncer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 154 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 12:31 pm

That seems pretty realistic to me. That is about the same ideas I had a year ago and was able to find one. Although I had to pay to get it here! So all in I was ~6500. I think!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_3811.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	420.2 KB
ID:	699825   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150304_135118.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	699833  
ducvet likes this.

Last edited by Kevin T; Apr 22nd, 2016 at 12:38 pm.
post #23 of 154 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 12:50 pm Thread Starter

Beautiful but yikes, what was shipping to HI?

post #24 of 154 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 1:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher_s View Post
Beautiful but yikes, what was shipping to HI?
900 bucks once crated at AMS Ducati. I think they charged me 150 to supply and crate her up. I thought it was reasonable. So far I only know of one FE that is here on island and one basket case, non op '93 that was for sale last year. So a pretty rare bird to these parts.
thrasher_s likes this.
post #25 of 154 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 1:59 pm

Garage
That's a pretty solid list. If you find it elsewhere, MotoCorsa will likely be willing to help you sort out shipping through their used bike side. For a fee of course, but they are seriously passionate Ducatisti there and will gladly welcome you to the family. Arun's FE (Arun is the GM of MotoCorsa and a genuinely awesome guy) is still for sale over there. Checks all of your boxes except for color (silver) and price - about $2K over what you want. You might be able to work with them on the price as it's been listed for at least 1.5 years now.

Christian (one of the sales guys and a SS owner) and I are trying to talk Arun an into hosting a '90's night at MotoCorsa this summer. Also - it will be cool to know another SS rider in the area.

-Brad

Quote:
Ok guys. You have convinced me, and I will unashamedly blame you when my wife asks. I think this can be an unofficial WTB thread. If you want to skim, just read the bold.

WTB:
-95-97 900 SP (wiggle room, especially with proof of replaced frame). Much less interested in CRs.
-Red (I'm only going to have one, it's gotta be red). If everything else is perfect, I might consider another color for the right price.
-Unmolested, but higher miles ok if clearly well maintained.
-Tasteful and streetable mods ok(exhaust, mufflers, carbs, etc.).
-Anything else you would add???
-Finally...it needs to be "ride home" distance from Portland, Oregon. It makes me really nervous to buy sight unseen, trust a shipping company, wire money, etc. I know this significantly reduces the number of bikes, but I've been "patient" for two decades, why would I rush now?
-$$$$- Varies based on condition of bike. Anything less than $3k I probably don't want. Over $6k and it needs to be essentially perfect. Not flawless, but matching my criteria. Obviously I'm not going to spend more than I think the bike is worth. I was planning on about a $5-6k TOTAL investment, including work if needed. If this is unrealistic, let me know.

I would also consider a 1000ds matching the above criteria except year. Less interested in a fuel injected 900, but if the price is right... No 600s, 750s, or 800s.

1994 900 SS/CR
2017 939 Supersport S
It's Italian. If I can get it to start, it'll win.
post #26 of 154 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 2:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyopper View Post
Arun's FE (Arun is the GM of MotoCorsa and a genuinely awesome guy) is still for sale over there. Checks all of your boxes except for color (silver) and price - about $2K over what you want. You might be able to work with them on the price as it's been listed for at least 1.5 years now.
Christian (one of the sales guys and a SS owner) and I are trying to talk Arun an into hosting a '90's night at MotoCorsa this summer. Also - it will be cool to know another SS rider in the area.
-Brad
I drove up to MotoCorsa around Easter specifically to look at Arun's FE. It is an exceptionally well sorted out example and now I know why he wants $9k. I would be interested in an FE, but not one that is "collector" nice which demands a premium price. That is actually true of any bike, regardless of color. There is one, a red 96 SP, just listed at Seattle Ducati that I'm drooling over, but it's "too nice".
The description: "This Ducati 900 Super Sport SP is an all original absolute time capsule. The deep rich gloss paint is perfect as is the factory carbon fiber fenders and clutch cover. With merely 5,871 miles it runs as new and is truly a collector's dream."
I can't afford to be a "collector". I'm gonna ride it. I think PhilBoncer is right. Let somebody else ride it the first 20k miles and work out the bugs.
If they do a 90s night, count me in!
duc96cr and PhilBoncer like this.
post #27 of 154 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 2:31 pm

Garage
On the FE color................
We had a customer who bought a brand new FE in like 2002 or so (he was on duc.ms as Ed yun IIRC) . He picked it up at another dealer and truck/trailered it over to our dealership where he had a complete second set of RED bodywork waiting. I swapped off the silver and put on the red and then he had a proper Ducati...lol.

Funny I remember doing a warranty claim on that bike for a camshaft or something and my Ducati rep thought I was nuts because the bike should have been out of warranty years before but he had just bought it.

Anyway I would bet you can find a nice one for the amount you listed just be patient and a little bit picky. Someone with A nice one will want to know it is going to a good home too so be sure to let them know it will be loved.
post #28 of 154 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 6:26 pm

+1 on getting one with a few miles. Five years ago I bought one with only 4500mi, and have been fighting issues with worn out seals and whatnot.

Fine a bike that looks nice, and I'm sure someone on this forum will go look at it for you. Here's one in the SF area:

Ducati 900SS Classic in Excellent Condition
RockAZ likes this.

Current
'98 Triumph T-Bird Sport
'95 Ducati 900SP (US) #561
'74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Garage is full!

Gone but Greatly Missed
'95 Ducati 900SL (Euro) #003
'72 Honda CB350

Gone and Good Riddance!
'83 Kawi GPZ 750 Turbo

I centauri indisciplinati in servizio sulla strada!
post #29 of 154 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 7:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZR_Ranger View Post
+1 on getting one with a few miles. Five years ago I bought one with only 4500mi, and have been fighting issues with worn out seals and whatnot.

Fine a bike that looks nice, and I'm sure someone on this forum will go look at it for you. Here's one in the SF area:

Ducati 900SS Classic in Excellent Condition
Sheesh, that's perfect. Good find!
post #30 of 154 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 8:35 pm

Quote:
Sheesh, that's perfect. Good find!
Damn. If I didn't live 3500 miles away, I'd consider picking that one up myself.

PhilB

1993 Ducati Monster M900, bought new, 265K miles, killed by minivan 30Oct17. 1995 M900, was ex-wife's bike, now mine again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode