New SuperSport? - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 157 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2009, 7:08 pm

I'll toss in my .01(recession) and say:

The Monster ergos would be very similar to a modern SS, giving the best of both worlds for the comfy/sporty option. If you want a more sporty ergo, add the clip ons.

To make it work, use the Monster, add a new SS tank/bodywork/seat combo and keep it in the ballpark, parts-wise.

The SS696 would be a great beginning platform, while the SS1100 would be great for experienced riders or guys that want to run in faster race classes. If you want to race them, the classes would allow for a bigbore kit and still keep you under the radar.

Imagine a BBkit on a 696 to put it to just under 800cc's, or the BBkit on an 1100 = WOW! All in a sub four hundred pound package, like the Monsters. Just sayin'.

Brian C.
'01 BCM 795SS / Track Toy
'03 999 w/50mm termi, S cams, BST wheels / daily commuter?

www.cittacorsa.com
1(888)763-4869
Whether it's the City or Track, it's Citta Corsa!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 157 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2009, 8:07 pm

I agree, too sharp of lines. Needs a rear seat too, with a cowl cover would be nice too. A headlight thats not of the liquid cooled style bikes would be a plus I think.

rz- The guy you talked to I think they are under the assumption American market wont go for a bike like this because guys that are after Supersports aren't looking for something like the picture, they want torque, smooth lines, an unmistakable tone and a less agressive look like it's 4 cyl brothers. They're research must be being conducted to the wrong crowd because a new SS would be a blessing. They have to keep in mind to keep it at a decent MSRP too, I can't see anyone with the taste for a Supersport wanting to be in the market for more than $10k.

2001 Ducati Supersport 900
1973 Honda "Trail" CT70
post #13 of 157 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2009, 9:21 pm

$10 k is not reasonable. That's what a GT1000 costs. We would be hoping for quite a bit higher spec bits on a new SS, and should be willing to pay for that. A modern SS with non-adjustable Marzocchis would be an abomination.

I think the very few people who would want a bike like this (I'm one of them) would pay something similar to the cost of a Japanese 1000, if the suspension components / brakes etc. were top notch (or nearly) and they managed to keep the weight down.

2006 Sport 1000 Race Bike. SOAR Novice #282

post #14 of 157 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2009, 1:03 am

that thing looks really great,

but what I would truley love to see is a 09 monster with a full fairing. I think the tank and tail section are perfect to add a nice round fairing as seen on the 91-98 supersports. very flat on the sides, no holes or big air scoops to break the clean sides. I think that, along with new paint schemes, like the cafe racer stripes, would sell a little better.

post #15 of 157 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2009, 1:24 pm

I really hope Ducati recreates the SS line soon. it has to fill the gap between a Monster and the Superbikes in looks and power... we all know the handling is there already. and definitely have summer and winter clothes available. 95 to 105 hp is fine with me as well... but leaving some space for "tuning". back to Photoshop....
post #16 of 157 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2009, 3:51 pm

I'd buy that! I think it looks great just the way it's drawn. A 696 engined SS would be nice too.
post #17 of 157 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2009, 10:16 pm

Garage
Tough question. the drawing looks like a 1098 that has a 2v motor in it.

When I was at the shop the early 90's SS was our best seller, everyone loved the bike we had sport tourers on them, commuters, racers you name it the bike could fit most everyone and worked well.

when the 99 fuelie came out the bike changed too much the tourers found it to uncomfortable, the commuters found it too focused (748 was more comfortable and close in price). the only ones who loved it were the ones headingto the track.

I think this is a tough one for Ducati to figure out, they are caught between the sport classics and the superbikes. Do we want a true 2 valve superbike? Or a supersport that can be made into what ever we wish ( think monster with fairings).

I want both.
post #18 of 157 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2009, 6:18 am
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
The SS I want is not unlike the '97 SS/SP I had. Something I could take solo on long trips with camping gear and soft saddlebags. Or ride 2-up for 200-300 mi.days and land at a motel with my gf. Something between the old ST and my 998S Bayliss. As nice as it looks, I don't need another superbike.

bruce19
'01 Monster S4
post #19 of 157 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2009, 6:19 am
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Someone needs to send all these "new SS" threads to Ducati USA.

bruce19
'01 Monster S4
post #20 of 157 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2009, 11:38 am

I think part of the problem is people have too varied ideas about what a new SS should be or do. Just in this thread, you see people talking about touring, commuting, track/race, simple/cheap and high end handling components. So what would really differentiate it from Ducati's current offerings. If it's within 20lbs and 10hp of an 848, and is pretty sporty in focus/ergos, why not just get an 848 unless it was far more cost effective? And in that case, you have an image problem because it becomes the poor man's 848.

I think the only way a new SS would succeed is if it fills a niche that is not really being addressed. And to me, that niche is the sporty, but not uncomfortably sporty, all around useable street motorcycle. The problem with many current models on the market is that they either go FAR into the supersport/superbike racing platform realm, or they go into the heavy, big, complicated sport-touring realm, or they are dumbed down, boring to ride and even more boring to look, nuetered bikes that have lost all of their edge. The trick would be to make a new SS lightweight and sporty, but very comfortable and capable of being ridden in touring/commuting/everyday duty. Sort of for people who just do too much with their motorcycle to put up with the ultra sharp focus of a pure superbike, but who demand more style and performance than what you get with most standards and sport tourers.

Nathan
2001 Ducati 996

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." - Jack London
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode