Case broken where the side stand bolts on - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2015, 4:24 pm Thread Starter

Case broken where the side stand bolts on

A previous owner apparently took off with the side stand down. The case where the side stand bolts up was JB welded. Noticed the bike was leaning more and more. Took off the stand and saw the damage. There's another threaded hole next to the side stand. Thinking about getting the case welded, then welding another piece on the side stand bracket to bolt to the open hole, for extra strength, in case the original hole is not as strong after the repair. Thoughts, opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2015, 5:44 pm

Case broken where the side stand bolts on

What about using some 6mm / 1/4 alloy plate underneath the stand? Through / thru bolt to the good points (with longer fasteners adding the thickness of the plate) plus the extra hole and tap the plate where the hole is bad. Space where necessary with suitable washers to make the plate stable.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

66 350 Sebring, 93 900 SS, 2000 900 SSie
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2015, 7:00 pm

With a good welder the original hole will be stronger than new

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2015, 5:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
What about using some 6mm / 1/4 alloy plate underneath the stand? Through / thru bolt to the good points (with longer fasteners adding the thickness of the plate) plus the extra hole and tap the plate where the hole is bad. Space where necessary with suitable washers to make the plate stable.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
thats how i did mine. Still holds 10 years later.
psyopper likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2015, 7:21 am

The dealer in Dallas told me during a pre buy, that the majority of the old SS's out these had the repair. The auto retract stand either got the "left fairing" or the weak "mounting point" if auto-retract was removed. Mine was welded and then a steel plate put in for additional strength. Belt and suspenders thing...

Bob

Ducati ST4s (gen II) {Duc 900 SS-SP gone but not forgotten}
Husaberg FE 400, Trumpet Tiger 800
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2015, 9:53 am

My '95 suffered the same sidestand induced damage. The previous owner fabricated a plate from stainless steel (from what I can tell) and used the adjacent threaded hole (forward) to mount the side stand. It worked okay. When I started refurbishing the bike, I got an M6 threaded rod, and using JB weld, made a third mount. It looks, and functions well, with no interference to the shift rod. The plate adds strength and stability to the side stand.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2015, 11:44 pm

Look at 916/748 side stand

You might take a look at a 916/748 side stand. When I installed rear sets on my 1991 900Ss the existing side stand would not work with the new foot position. I moved the side stand off my 1997 916 over to my 900 SS and it alleviated the issue since the 916 side stand bolts into a different set of mounting holes on the 900 Cases. It solved the issue with the foot interference on the rear sets and utilized the different mounting holes on the cases. It does not change the angle or way the bike sits on the side. You might consider this as an option if the other mounting holes are not compromised. Hope this helps.
el camexican likes this.

MadDuc916 Georgetown, Texas. 1991 900SS, 1997 916 Mono
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2019, 11:45 am

Anyone else tried this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDuc916 View Post
You might take a look at a 916/748 side stand. When I installed rear sets on my 1991 900Ss the existing side stand would not work with the new foot position. I moved the side stand off my 1997 916 over to my 900 SS and it alleviated the issue since the 916 side stand bolts into a different set of mounting holes on the 900 Cases. It solved the issue with the foot interference on the rear sets and utilized the different mounting holes on the cases. It does not change the angle or way the bike sits on the side. You might consider this as an option if the other mounting holes are not compromised. Hope this helps.
My 1995 SS suffered this fate when the new owner took it on his first ride. He came home with a floppy side stand and a broken front case mount. Piece is missing as well. I have had a number of suggestions to have a really good welder fix it and to look at the local airport to find one. Don't think I want to recommend this to the new owner (who lives next door). Rather have someone do it who's had experience. duc96cr lives 60 miles away and I tried to send him a PM but his mailbox is full
ducvet advises there are good ones around him in NH and as much as I'd like to take it there, it's not just around the corner.
So - my question: has anyone tried putting on the assemble from a 916/748 as this old post suggests?? They are available used on eBay. Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Ducati kick stand lug.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	585.0 KB
ID:	945741  

1995 900 SS SP #001 (now sold - again)
1975 860 GT (sold - but got me hooked)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2019, 3:22 pm

Garage
Damn that picture is ugly, I have no good suggestion other then -I hate J.B. Weld that crap is not even close to a proper repair for any motorcycle--not even a Harley lol

1991 Ducati 900ss, 1991 Ducati 907ie. 1978 Yamaha SR500, 1979 Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special, 1973 Truimph X-75, 1975 Triumph T-160, 1976 Triumph T140, BMW's too many to list
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2019, 7:51 pm

Garage
I've gone through this myself.

The 900SS OEM stand utilized the center and rear holes. The Superbike stands utilize the center and front holes.

You've broken the center hole, critical for both stands. The solution is a 1/4" plate as stated above. I had a Ducati friendly metal fabber on this forum make me a plate, but unfortunately he's passed on. There's an functional technical drawing for the plate in PDF, in French, I'm happy to share it if you like. Screenshot is attached that has all the necessary measurements.

Nichols will sell you an 1/16" steel plate, I have one on the shelf. None of the holes were tapped and I had no idea how to make use of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SidestandRepairPlate.png
Views:	29
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	945757  

1994 900 SS/CR
2017 939 Supersport S
It's Italian. If I can get it to start, it'll win.

Last edited by psyopper; Jun 12th, 2019 at 8:07 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode