900SS/FE Owners Check In! Informal Registry - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 118 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 5:24 pm
xtc

Here's Mine. Bought this year. Japanese import now in New Zealand. #097 (non US model). Just put it back together after painting the frame and wheels...... Because gold is for chics and doesn't go well with the FE colour scheme.

And how it was 3 weeks ago......

Ducati 900ss FE 1998
BMW R1100GS 1997
Kawasaki KDX200 2005

Last edited by xtc; Nov 3rd, 2008 at 5:45 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 118 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2008, 10:30 am

Here is mine #193 10,800 miles, carbon cans, jetted, no lid, corban seat thats about it for now. I think it was in St Louis, than made it to Springfield Mo. A woman owned it for I think 4 years, and put only 800 miles on it in that time, and than traded for a new Harley when I bought it. What is the going price for a FE?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phpczH5A3AM[1].jpg
Views:	232
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	39141   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpmVXWNzAM[1].jpg
Views:	215
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	39142  
post #13 of 118 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2008, 12:45 pm

#181 in Connecticut, USA

I only bought mine last year... couldn't pass it up as it has been on my short list of favorite bikes for a long time (and the good deal didn't hurt either).

It has high compr. pistons, FCR's, Ferracci pipes, and I recently upgraded the brake lines, replaced the chain and shortened the gearing a bit. Great bike, great sound... just love it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	297.8 KB
ID:	39150  

Scott
---------------
'98 Ducati 900 FE #181
formerly user: 'kearnejs'

post #14 of 118 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2008, 4:43 pm Thread Starter

I'd say the price range for a perfect low mileage (10k or less) bike that needs absolutely nothing cosmetically or mechancially is around $7-8k. A virtual museum quality FE with hardly any miles will be at the top of that range. At the other end of the spectrum I think a "rider" with some miles and average condition is around $5k. These bikes don't sell for a whole lot more than regular SS/SP's right now, especially for a "rider", where the premium is only around $500 over a late SS/SP. I think this is mainly because of the color, which admittedly isn't as sexy as red. Considering the rarity and the significance of these bikes as the last of a generation I think they're undervalued and one of those bikes that guys will look back on one day and say "I remember when I could have bought one for $5k...."

2016 Panigale 959
2009 BMW HP2 Sport
1998 900SS/FE #118
1981 BMW R100RS
post #15 of 118 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2008, 5:40 pm

Does anyone track their SS? I was thinking of getting one as a track bike.

Southern Oregon
post #16 of 118 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2008, 5:40 am

P_R,

Before you buy an SS for the track, you have to be honest with yourself regarding what kind of riding are you really going to do. Put yourself into one of the following groups:

1: Want to race. (lots of cash needed to be competitive - SBK may be a better starting point)
2: Want to do trackdays, and be with the fast guys. (You can get there, yet will require more investment than just stripping down an ebay deal.)
3: Want a trackday toy, and am OK with not being the fastest guy around. (excellent. Especially if you have another SS as a street bike. NOTE: Get a track only bike.)

Overall, everything that makes the SS a great all round street bike still applies for making it a decent track tool. There are issues that have to be either accepted, or improved. If you cannot do either, then buy an SBK. There is always a high dollar solution to making an SS a great track tool, yet I'll assume you are a practical person. The things that are a must do (at the minimum) are:

Ground clearance - Those darn header pipes will drag. Once you start to really ride the thing you increase the chance you will lever your rear wheel off the ground. Solution - find a spagetti system, cut/reangle the headers, or get a rear shock that has adjustable ride height adjustment (fixes the poor rear shock issue).

Power - The midrange that makes the SS a great streetbike makes the bike a very easy bike to ride on the track. The overall lack of top end power will make you bait on any straight. Get used to passing folks in the mid-field only to have their bike out run you. Solution - must have at least hi-comp pistons and FCRs to get the best performance bang for the buck. it at least helps you keep all of those SV 650's honest. (I've seen some 90hp SVs. They'll become your riding buddys because there are rarely other SS out there.) NOTE: you'll become a better rider faster because you'll learn how to maximize cornering speed vs. knowing you have tons of topend to bail your sloppy ass out.

Handling - It's a tradeoff here. The SS is super stable, so fast sweepers etc ... are great, yet the tight stuff makes you work hard to keep up with anything else. You won't need a steering damper until youve lowered your front, and raised your rear. Soultion - wheels, suspension, and a yoga class. WOW! never thought that wheels would have made such an improvement!! Take a yoga class, you'll get flexible enough to really move around on the bike. (don't laugh. You'll probably lose a few pounds as well.)

After that, the sky is the limit. My track bike started out as a typical $3K used SS that I found locally. Many SS out ther already have some combination of the above done, so you can get a bike that easily fit's into the "trackday" category.

Sorry for the ramble.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Track Bike May 2008 017.jpg
Views:	1239
Size:	747.4 KB
ID:	39230  

'03 Moto Guzzi V11 Lemans
'98 900 FE (#46)
'97 750M (904cc)
'93 900SS (track bike)
post #17 of 118 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2008, 8:53 pm

Number 228:

post #18 of 118 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2009, 4:38 pm

#218, soon to be leaving Virginia for Canada.
post #19 of 118 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2009, 9:37 am

im thinking of having a look at this

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/969839549.html

can any FE people comment on the price etc?
what would you offer if everything with the bike appears kosher?
post #20 of 118 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2009, 10:40 am

#240 in Denver, Co area

I found this one in 2000 with just over 1K miles on it.
It now has almost 21K trouble-free though well cared-for miles on it!
It has seen a couple of track days, done a lot of Colorado mountain riding.
Has CF cans, JetKit and replaced the airbox with K&N "oil can" filters, ignition wire upgrade, and RT valves in the forks. Have Barnett clutch and Nichols flywheel to put in it sometime soon!
Here are a few pics:
One in front of the SuperTune Shop after a ride last Summer, another taken on G16 Carmel Vally Rd while at Laguna a year ago, and up in our "backyard" off Peak-to-Peak Hw. 119.

Cheers,
m
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FEonMem08.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	41744   Click image for larger version

Name:	LagunaFEonG16a.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	41745   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5280003.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	41746  

SuperTuneMotorsports
Quality
Ducati Service - Tuning
www.supertunemotorsports.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode