2V air cooled VS 4V liquid cooled - why the hate? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2008, 1:32 am Thread Starter

2V air cooled VS 4V liquid cooled - why the hate?

I don't get it. I've read many a lot of posts here now and I can't understand why do so many people on this forum despise the liquid cooled 4valve / cylinder models?

?'s
1. What's so glorious about aircooled 2 valve Ducatis? Can someone please educate me?

2. What's so wrong with the better performing engines with over 30-50% more HP and similar torque for roughly the same weight as the 2 valve air cooled engines? Is the maintenance that much harder or more expensive?

FYI: My only bike (first) is the beguiled '02 Sport 900, which i love.

yavol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2008, 4:04 am
Banned

Cool

you got this all wrong, we are one family.

people, who are pissing about either concept, just don't belong to it.

-> easy.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2008, 8:08 am

Garage
We're in an election year. Maybe people just need collateral subjects to debate.

I just love motorcycles in general

Robert
Loud clutches save lives.
1992 Ducati 900 SS, 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100, 2015 KTM Duke 690

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2008, 10:14 am

Garage
I own both - a 2000 996 and a 1997 900ss.

The 996 is the worst streetbike I've ever owned. Ergos mainly. The power is fun but on teh street, I spend more time slowing down than anything else. You have to be flying to make it feel like you're working the bike at all. I haven't got near the skills to push this bike to it's limit and it lets me know that each time I ride it.

When I pull off the fairing it seems stuffed with parts. Fuel injecting, water cooling, twice the number of valves/parts.

The Supersport makes a much better streetbike. To me it's a simpler bike. It's lmiits are nearer to mine. For "normal" use it just makes more sense to me.

That said, you'll notice I'm not selling my 996... That bike makes me happy just looking at it, and for occassional use it's great fun...

-Craig
1991 851 Strada
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2008, 10:42 am

Garage
two each his own

The popularity of the Monster range throughout the 90's says a lot about the engine "feel" and the ergonomic reality of streetbikes.
The racing success of the 4 valve engines says as much about going fast.
A Monster with a lc 4V engine? That says,"do what you like!"
Take a deep breath. Don't worry about haters. Buy a Sport Classic and a 848 (nobody needs a 1098, that's just ridiculous and wrong ). Then sell the one you like less. Keep your '92. Is it Red w/Silver? That was the only real color scheem ever! I'm shutting up now

"How many miles as the Duck flies?"
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2008, 11:19 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwantin View Post
We're in an election year. Maybe people just need collateral subjects to debate.
hahahah! That's great.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2008, 11:29 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post
I own both - a 2000 996 and a 1997 900ss.

The 996 is the worst streetbike I've ever owned. Ergos mainly. The power is fun but on teh street, I spend more time slowing down than anything else. You have to be flying to make it feel like you're working the bike at all. I haven't got near the skills to push this bike to it's limit and it lets me know that each time I ride it.

When I pull off the fairing it seems stuffed with parts. Fuel injecting, water cooling, twice the number of valves/parts.

The Supersport makes a much better streetbike. To me it's a simpler bike. It's lmiits are nearer to mine. For "normal" use it just makes more sense to me.

That said, you'll notice I'm not selling my 996... That bike makes me happy just looking at it, and for occassional use it's great fun...

Ah, I see. So the the argument is that the superbikes aren't as usable on the street because of too much power and less friendly ergonomics.

Now I have to own both
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2008, 11:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by yavol View Post
I don't get it....
1. What's so glorious about aircooled 2 valve Ducatis? Can someone please educate me?
You've forgotten the prime directive my son:

"Simplicity, carried to its ultimate extreme."
by: Doctor Taglioni when asked to expound on his attitude towards fundamental engineering design practice.

In practical terms, I believe most recent sporting motorcyles have achieved "escape velocity" for street use and over-engineering solutions to problems that don't exist just to spice up the marketing make no sense to me. Average and even well above average street riders cannot make use of the additional power, brakes and suspension.

Ergos matter, tractibility matters and the subjective visceral take away value (sound, looks) of the bike matters all of which make the SSs winners, at least until they bolted on EFI.

Having said all that, I'm hoping the recent market meltdown chases a lovely original condition '94 916 into my garage :-)

'12 Monster 1100 EVO
'98 900 SS FE (#028)
'93 900 SS Superlight (#679)
'78 900 SS
'74 750 Sport
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2008, 11:44 am

Garage
Quote:
Now I have to own both
two each his own?

"How many miles as the Duck flies?"
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2008, 12:21 pm

Quote:
Ah, I see. So the the argument is that the superbikes aren't as usable on the street because of too much power and less friendly ergonomics.
then someone like me throws all that out the window and daily drives a 749 year round... in the last 9 and a half months, ive gone over 18,500 miles with it. when i pull off the fairings, i know what every part is, how it works in detail, and have no problem taking the whole bike apart and getting it back together so i can ride it to work the next day.
my 749 is my daily driver, and the most pratical of my 3 bikes...

if i was going to go for friendly ergonomics, id buy another ST, or maybe (gasp) an FJR....
i donno what hes talking about with the too much power thing... you can never have too much power.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode