2V air cooled VS 4V liquid cooled - why the hate? - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2008, 8:35 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfyamr1 View Post
1. A lot of 2-valvers have deep seeded feelings of insecurity that manifest in hatred towards the 4-valvers they long for, but can't afford

2. A lot of 4-valvers are obnoxious snobs that have more money than skills, so to make up for it they're condescending to the 2-valvers

put another way: the 2-valvers often believe they're the true "Ducatisti" because their bike's roots go back to Stonehenge, while the 4-valvers believe they're the true Ducatisti because theirs are the ones that win all the races and make girls go gooey.

The truth is they're both right. If you own one, any one of any vintage, and you love it, then you know what it's all about and you're a true Ducatisti.

And just like military service automatically makes you a citizen, anyone who has ever performed a valve-job on a Ducati, is also the real-deal in my book!
lol ... great post.

Best part is through the corners everything evens itself out and you can't just buy a win with a 4 valver ...

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright red, hunchback, warp-speed 900cc café racer is one of them -- but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one" Hunter S. Thompson

Bikes:
1994 900 Supersport R.I.P.
1997 900 Supersport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2008, 7:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfyamr1 View Post
1. A lot of 2-valvers have deep seeded feelings of insecurity that manifest in hatred towards the 4-valvers they long for, but can't afford

2. A lot of 4-valvers are obnoxious snobs that have more money than skills, so to make up for it they're condescending to the 2-valvers
I own one of each (2V and 4V) so i guess that makes me an "obnoxious snob with deep seeded feelings of insecurity that manifest in hatred"....

Last edited by dancinkozmo; Oct 9th, 2008 at 7:43 am.
post #23 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2008, 8:08 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinkozmo View Post
I own one of each (2V and 4V) so i guess that makes me an "obnoxious snob with deep seeded feelings of insecurity that manifest in hatred"....
Well that's what I've been telling people about you for years...

I KID! I kid...

(I've also got both, plus a water cooled fuel injected two valve so maybe I have an identity crisis too?)

-Craig
1991 851 Strada

post #24 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2008, 9:33 am

Garage
My riding is all recreational corner carving. I found the SS to be a bit lacking. Power delivery was a bit sluggish, and there wasn't enough of it.

With the 999 I am experiencing Nirvana. The bike is a dream in its element.
The power and delivery, handling, brakes...everything was a revelation for me.

However, I still lust for an older 900SS to sit alongside my 999. To me, the 900SS is the epitome of a sporty road bike, and they are oh-so-pretty! For mellow solo rides through the countryside, the 900SS would be my choice. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the 2v bikes can't hustle...I just prefer my 4v when things really speed up.

Current: '11 Ducati Multistrada 1200
Past: '03 999, '99 900SS, several Yamaha FZR's and an FZ

Last edited by desmo2; Oct 9th, 2008 at 9:38 am.
post #25 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2008, 12:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmax View Post
lol ... great post.

Best part is through the corners everything evens itself out and you can't just buy a win with a 4 valver ...
True.

Thanks all for the thoughtfull responses
post #26 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2008, 11:17 pm

None of my cars are water cooled, so why should my bike be?
post #27 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 2008, 9:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
you own Trabants ??
post #28 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 2008, 10:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
none of my cars are air cooled, so why should my bike be?

j/k.. what do you have? a couple VWs and a corvair? lol

post #29 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 2008, 10:57 am

Right now, I'm hating both of em.......but thats only due to my 900ss being unrideable due to a crash and gonna be that way for awhile.

To me, they are both serve a purpose. There's a place in my garage for both, like a 1098s, soon I hope. On the street, the 900 does everything I need and quite well. If I get a 1098, its gonna be a track only bike. It's just a waste to use something like that on the street.

Oh.....corvairs rule.....
post #30 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 2008, 11:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinkozmo View Post
you own Trabants ??
I wish; I would love to have one of those.

My garage (and driveway) are currently home to a '68 Porsche 912 (currently undergoing a transformation into a 911), a '70 Beetle, a '71 Super Beetle, a '72 Porsche 911 hot rod, and a '79 Porsche 911 SC. Air cooled, baby! The only automotive anomly in the family is my wife's Soob Outback, but at least it's a boxer motor...

Anyway, I would love to have a watercooled Duc of some sort in addition to my '93 900 SS. Right now, though, I'm still learning to ride. After 32 years on Harleys of every description, Ducati performance - even in the old two valve air cooled mode - is way, way more than I can use.

Incidently, the Porsche world is plagued with this same argument, or rift, or whatever you call it. "Real" Porsches are air cooled, and the motor is in the back, thank you very much. Everyone "knows" that, right? Of course the newer water cooled 911's are superior in every measure of performance to the old air cooled. Technology just marches on...

I get the feeling the same relationship exists for the same reasons in the Duc world. Air cooled is nostalgic, hearkening to a simpler time. It is, in all reality, perfectly adequate for the vast majority of us. We will never be able to use all of the available performance even on an air cooled machine; certainly never on the street, and most of us not on the track, either. So the increased performance available through water cooling becomes moot for most of us. Most of us can only really use the level of performance that was already achieved during the air cooled era.

Anyway, I say ride/drive whatever tickles your fancy. It's all just for fun, remember? They are all good. We all have how fun in subtly different ways; different machines speak to us. The variety makes it fun. We would all rue the day everyone shows up on whatever we are riding...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode