$5 headlight upgrade: well worth the money! - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2009, 2:31 pm

Check out the 996 Red Bull thread. He installed an HID kit on his bike in there and goes through the process step by step. And be prepared to lose 2 hours just looking through that fantastic build. Awesome bike.

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=54639

2008 S2R1000, The mod whore
2003 RC51, The stock one (sold)
2002 ZX-7R, The green meanie (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2009, 12:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickon View Post
He is talking about the H4 130/90w 10K XENON HID light bulbs. I hope this helps Jack.
Are the ones he points to in the orignial post in this thread really an (HiD) High Intensity Discharge bulb?

If so won't these need a transformer to run them?

Last edited by wobblyas; Jun 6th, 2009 at 12:16 am.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2009, 4:30 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
As with most ducatis, it seems, my bike gave me the option of seeing only 5 feet in front of me with the low beam, or barely seeing anything 30 feet in front of me with the high beam.
I adjusted the headlight a few times, pointing it up a little higher, with very little improvement.

Figuring it to be a cheap investment, I'd looked at some other bulbs (PIAA, etc) which claimed to be brighter, but I figured I'd might as well go all out and just get the brightest bulb I could find. Hey, it worked great on the Ninja!

So, I bought a pack of these: $10 for 2 of them.

I'd used similar ones before on the Ninja, and found them to work great, last a very long time (10,000 miles so far, including lots of off-road riding).

The difference is dramatic. I can actually see now! Living in deer country, I was afraid to ride at night before. Now, I'm not scared anymore.

The headlight still leaves something to be desired, but the difference is well worth the cost.
So far at least (maybe 100 miles of city commuting or so) the headlight doesn't seem to be getting too hot, and the stock wiring seems easily able to handle the extra load of the 130w highbeam.

Just a heads up for any of you dissatisfied with the performance of the stock candle.
Do NOT install an H4 over 65w.
The PO of my bike had a 100w H4 installed. It melted the plug and almost caused a catastropic short where the wires got so hot the insulation melted.

If you want more light, either go with the HID kit (I have heard mixed reviews) or install some driving lights with a relay, fuse and heavy wire.

John Carruth
Medina, TN

[email protected]

2012 Monster 1100 EVO
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650
2003 ST1300 A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode