$5 headlight upgrade: well worth the money! - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2008, 8:50 pm Thread Starter

The one you linked to is a 60/55w.
They try to claim that thier blue tinting and higher gas pressure make it look as bright as a 135w bulb.

The one to which I linked is actually 130w, and would look as bright as a 260w bulb (if you believe that).

Since the bulbs come in a pack of two, I've got the extra one. I'll send it to you for $5+shipping if you want to try it out.

All my questions are about my 2006 Ducati 800SS, bought this month with 1,000 miles on it.
I've also got a Ninja 250 that I use for dual-sport/off road rides and track days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2008, 12:57 am
Administrator

Garage
Stock bulb is about 55W so I would be a very skeptical of using this wattage.
On a side note 10,000 Kelvin is so blue that it will give much less useful light then a bulb that is 4,000 Kelvin. I would suggest spending $100-$150 and getting a quality HID unit.

Scott
Sacramento CA

'03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW R1250GSA
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2008, 11:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
Stock bulb is about 55W so I would be a very skeptical of using this wattage.
On a side note 10,000 Kelvin is so blue that it will give much less useful light then a bulb that is 4,000 Kelvin. I would suggest spending $100-$150 and getting a quality HID unit.
I WANT a quality HID unit, but I never make purchases over $100 without doing research first. If someone made an HID H4 bulb/system that was ,in fact, (2) HID bulbs molded onto a single H4 baseplate, then I'd buy one tomorrow.

I'm not impressed with the system the HID aftermarket companies have come up with to give a single H4 bulb a High and Low Beam. Also, one of the reasons for poor headlight performance (as stated before) is the poor reflector quality/design. Regardless of how bright a bulb is, if you reflect it forward with a wad of crumpled aluminum foil, you're going to have a lackluster headlight.

2001 Ducati 750SSie sport (my baby)
2006 Buell Blast (My Wife's baby)
1976 Yamaha XT500 (my project waaaay on the back burner)

And, before I die, I WILL own a 998!

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2008, 1:09 pm
Administrator

Garage
I have an HID low beam I installed on my BMW and the difference was amazing to say the least. You will see many good reviews from others here that have done a low beam install on their bike.
My question to you is if the most you could lose if you didn't like the system was some install time and maybe $20-$40 in lost money to resell the kit you bought, why wouldn't you try it???? Safety is all you have to gain. If you lived around here I would even help you do the install.

Scott
Sacramento CA

'03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW R1250GSA
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2008, 9:00 am
Excel Addict

Headlight saga

I have obviously had standard - crap

Put in an HID eBay kit, hi/lo. Low is utterly amazing, blow your mind and lots of other ravings, but high is poor. Why? Because the arc does not move up, when it moves back, simulating the location of a filament based H4 bulb and of course the reflector is crap.

As per earlier posts, I measured the voltage drop thru standard wiring with a 55/65 W bulb and it was 1.8 V from the battery to the bulb - this means some 30% loss of light cos the bulbs are designed to operate at full on charge (motor running) voltage.

I spent very little money and bypassed the crap tiny wiring loom wires, all the connectors and switches using two relays, beefy cables, some spade connectors and an H4 connector and a fuse.

Much better, but there is still the problem of bad optics or crap reflector or whatever you term you want to use. This will never be overcome unless you get rid of it and do a complete mod to dual headlights, with one dedicated to low beam and the other to high.

I now run an H4 with 90W low beam and 130 W high to give more lighting oomph and it has not melted the cover, but there is some discoloration on the reflector above the bulb, but hey I can see a bit better.

I am now obsessed and spend my riding time looking at other bikes headlights and wonder why even some bloody scooters have better lights than my 01 900SS. How sad!

The attached circuit works as it is in/on my bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Headlight.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	35896  

Richard Collins - 2001 900SSie I have a 2 strike policy - 2 no responses from a poster = no more responses from me to any post by them. I have a good memory!
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2008, 3:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch View Post
I have obviously had standard - crap

Put in an HID eBay kit, hi/lo. Low is utterly amazing, blow your mind and lots of other ravings, but high is poor. Why? Because the arc does not move up, when it moves back, simulating the location of a filament based H4 bulb and of course the reflector is crap.

As per earlier posts, I measured the voltage drop thru standard wiring with a 55/65 W bulb and it was 1.8 V from the battery to the bulb - this means some 30% loss of light cos the bulbs are designed to operate at full on charge (motor running) voltage.

I spent very little money and bypassed the crap tiny wiring loom wires, all the connectors and switches using two relays, beefy cables, some spade connectors and an H4 connector and a fuse.

Much better, but there is still the problem of bad optics or crap reflector or whatever you term you want to use. This will never be overcome unless you get rid of it and do a complete mod to dual headlights, with one dedicated to low beam and the other to high.

I now run an H4 with 90W low beam and 130 W high to give more lighting oomph and it has not melted the cover, but there is some discoloration on the reflector above the bulb, but hey I can see a bit better.

I am now obsessed and spend my riding time looking at other bikes headlights and wonder why even some bloody scooters have better lights than my 01 900SS. How sad!

The attached circuit works as it is in/on my bike.
Is there a dual headlight mod for our bikes? I have a low beam from a Jaguar XJ8 sitting around and am toying with the idea of installing it on my 750. The light output is so bad that if I'm on the beltway I'm constantly outrunning my headlight as there's no lighting in certain places. Very frightening indeed.

Cheers,
C
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2008, 8:19 pm
Excel Addict

Dual headlights

It should be possible. I have started looking at the dual kits available for streetfighters. These can be supplied with brackets and you can indpendently adjust each light.

The challenge will be making it look good. I have also been keeping an eye out for smaller, shaped lights like R1s etc. have. It may be possible to "extract" the two shaped lights then fit them in the space left by removing the original the going some fibreglass work to fill in the gaps.

Given the number of post 97 SS models out there and the common theme of crap headlight, there is probably an opportunity for someone who has the time to develop a solution. I have looked at the aftermarket twin lights for the ST series, which includes an infill, but personally do not like the twin round light appearance.

Another option when on high beam is to mod the wiring a a bit different to my last post to keep low on when high is on. With a standard H4, the load will be 55 + 60 = 115 W. I am running a 90/130 at the moment, via my wiring mod without battery, alternator or reflector issues, so 115 should be OK - WITH the wiring mod.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Headlight Hi with Lo.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	35984  

Richard Collins - 2001 900SSie I have a 2 strike policy - 2 no responses from a poster = no more responses from me to any post by them. I have a good memory!
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2008, 11:27 am

I modded my SS to accommodate a dual headlight, basically by using the high beam voltage to a relay, allowing me to run a quasi "euro" switch. So on/off, with a dual headlight. I used the small rectangular headlights from your typical auto parts store. This saved me about 12lbs of weight at the same time.

The down side is that it's very hard on the switch and tends to melt it over time, so either get new switches, reverse the button action for the switching method(ie: turn off at high beam/on at low beam) or bone up and buy the euro switch.

Easily done each way.

Brian C.
'01 BCM 795SS / Track Toy
'03 999 w/50mm termi, S cams, BST wheels / daily commuter?

www.cittacorsa.com
1(888)763-4869
Whether it's the City or Track, it's Citta Corsa!
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2008, 5:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchduc900 View Post
Fairing is from Radical ducati in Spain.

www.radicalducati.com
Here is an interesting approach that i have seen

The yellow one was a local bike forsale
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	83e0_1.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	36072  

first time Ducati Owner. O yeah I am an addict now.

2002 900 fully faired Sport, kn crankcase breather, Kn with snorkels removed
Magnecor leads, Standard Copper Plugs (moved off the iriduim ones upon advice), Gillies Variobar clip ons
Carbon Clutch Cover (soon to be replaced with custom alloy one so many to chose from), Uprated stainless springs and alloy pressure plate.
Battery tender (a must), 14-bs battery, gearing is now 14t to 40t all alloy renthal

Projects in the pipe lines

Too many to mention

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2009, 1:46 pm

I've tried doing a search on this but can't seem to find what I'm looking for, has anyone ever installed a HID kit on the 748 and documented this with pics?

Hall of Wisdom doesnt have anything like this in there so I thought I would post it up in here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode