Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Changed oil & filter, now getting 10 more mpg!

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  desmoduvalier 
#1 ·
Ok, this is weird. I just changed the oil and filter on my 2006 800ss at 3200 miles. This is the first time that I personally have changed the oil. Previously it was done at the 600 mile service. I was getting 44mpg before the oil change (oil was always at the correct level) which I thought was ok. I went on a 200 mile ride (same route as always) w/ my g/f on the back and recorded a 54mpg avg. Rode in the exact same style, similar weather conditions (this never really changes in SoCal!).
I gotta say I was pleasantly surprised to see this huge jump in mpg. Now using a K&N filter and Mobil 1 10W50. I know this is an air/oil cooled bike so would be affected by fresh oil moreso than a liquid cooled motor, but still...
Bike is running DP high mount pipes and has has the fueling/tps properly tuned for said pipes.

#2 · (Edited)
Brake In

You should get 48/52ish, I do and I have a 1999 900SS but at the track last weekend I got 28 mpg which is not bad for Track Time.

But the bike is worked in good! I use Amsoil car/bike/boat and notice big diff in all and with the oil is cleaner @ changes on the bike and car!

#3 ·
Fuel

If you are getting that much then maybe you aren't riding it to it's potential.

People ask me what I get per mile/kilometre and my only response is .... no idea and I don't care.

If they asked me how many smiles per mile, it would be 100%, can't stop grinning.

#5 ·
weird, and mostly unrelated-unless you were using something with the relative viscosity of tar for engine oil, or conversely something so thin that you have now stopped burning it in the combustion chambers. not to be difficult, but the laws of physics don't support your conclusion in any direct sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.