My 900SS/WSM leggero build - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2015, 1:22 pm Thread Starter

My 900SS/WSM leggero build

I apologize in advance for a lack of pictures. I lack the patience to stop what I am doing to snap a pic, and usually completely forget to grab one after a bit of work is done.

Last fall I picked up a somewhat tired and neglected '99 900SS. At some point in it's life it had been loved, the bike was fitted with (rusty and worn out) braketech axis rotors, some trick adjustable rear sets, DP carbon clutch cover, 5-spoke rear wheel, and some (completely trashed) 2bros slip-ons. Originally the plan was to simply repair/replace the worn out stuff and just ride the bike. Things didn't exactly go as planned... the wife test rode the bike, decided she didn't really like it too much, and then the more i tore in to the bike the more problems i found. After calling braketech I found out the rotors were shot. The trick rearsets had been damaged in a previous crash. In fact, it looks like a PO at some point went down a bit hard on the left hand side of the bike.

the rearset was cracked:

the stator cover had been ground through, then welded back together. unfortunately the outboard bearing in the stator cover was no longer sitting perfectly true, and munched itself at somepoint. thankfully the steel balls stayed in the stator/flywheel area and didn't find their way in to the rest of the engine, otherwise it probably would have been destroyed.

At this point I remembered a couple years ago seeing the leggero on bikeexif. I showed some pictures to the boss, and she liked the looks a lot more than the "terblah" 900ss look. Eventually we decided that doing a build of the leggero could be a fun project. emails were exchanged with WSM, and last night this bit of welded steel arrived on my door step:

While waiting for the frame to be built, I tore down the engine completely with the plan to do a very simple refresh and repaint. I didn't realize until it was too late that a "simple refresh" of this motor means more than $1000 once all the bearings and seals are sourced. That is basically where I am at now. The motor is in pieces and I need to decide whether or not to hot tank the cases/cylinders/heads before painting. I have been using a media blast cabinet and some stripper to remove old paint and corrosion, and need to be sure all the media is cleaned out before reassembly.

One more picture, this is some of bits and pieces I've been buying and/or repainting as time and money allow.

2013 multistrada
1999 900SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2015, 2:44 pm

and I thought I was the only one who contact Walt for a frame too.. let alone in California as well.. haha.

I got my frame on Saturday. =)
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2015, 4:04 pm

Garage
Sounds similar to my experience with my '99 except my cases are cracked at the motor mounts! If you want to sell your cases i'd be interested.

1993 900 Supersport SP
1999 900 Supersport

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2015, 4:30 pm

Garage
Walt Siegl

I was at Walt's shop last September and was talking to him about a frame/tank/seat kit. I haven't pulled the trigger on that project yet, but I probably will in the future.

Situated in the countryside of New Hampshire, Walt's workshop is very old school. He makes a lot of the parts himself or has trusted outside suppliers provide quality parts. I met Bruce Meyers there the day I visited. He apparently does some engines for the Leggero series.

We talked about all things Ducati and Walt told me a little about his background, etc. Bruce and I got along as we are both engine guys.

I'll be following this thread with interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140917_132159.jpg
Views:	1293
Size:	768.1 KB
ID:	521322   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140917_132214.jpg
Views:	1178
Size:	778.7 KB
ID:	521330   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140917_132243.jpg
Views:	1462
Size:	785.4 KB
ID:	521338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Carb chassis.jpg
Views:	1418
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	521346  

Old & Slow; 2001 748, 1997 916, WSM Leggero, 1999 900SS track bike, 2002 998 track bike, Bimota SB6

Last edited by T8KC; Mar 17th, 2015 at 10:25 pm.
post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2015, 5:00 pm

Oh lord Walt is a legend! Few builders, if any, can have a bike shown on BikeExif or PipeBurn with nearly universal acclaim in the comments, a true master craftsman!

Please more pics, would love to see that work of art frame up close, and enjoy watching builds come along.

''The man hunched over his motorcycle can focus only on the present instant of his flight; he is caught in a fragment of time cut off from both the past and the future; he is wrenched from the continuity of time . . . in other words, he is in a state of ecstasy; in that state he is unaware of his age, his wife, his children, his worries, and so he has no fear, because the source of fear is in the future, and a person freed of the future has nothing to fear.''
-Milan Kundera

Last edited by jimmyjojo; Mar 17th, 2015 at 5:31 pm.
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2015, 5:45 pm
Average Weird Guy.

Garage
Awesome choice Marty those WSM Leggero's are over the top cool. So light and airy looking with all the parts a bike needs and nothing it doesn't.

There's so many different ways you can configure that bike and they all come out looking good. Definitely be watching this build with interest to see what you come up with. Have at 'er man!

'95 900SS CR affectionately known as "The Pizza Wagon"
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2015, 6:25 pm

I love Walt's bikes. This is now officially the most dangerous thread on the SS forum. I am not subscribing!

1998 SS FE #194
2005 749R #362
2006 999 S
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2015, 7:38 pm

Garage
Looking forward to this also.
I see the motogadget parts in your picture, i have some of those sitting in my "future modifications" box also.
Good luck to you along the way !

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

'94 900SS
Marchesini's, FCR's, Staintune, Ignitech
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2015, 12:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T8KC View Post
I was at Walt's shop last September and was talking to him about a frame/tank/seat kit. I haven't pulled the trigger on that project yet, but I probably will in the future.

Situated in the countryside of New Hampshire, Walt's workshop is very old school. He makes a lot of the parts himself or has trusted outside suppliers provide quality parts. I met Bruce Meyers there the day I visited. He apparently does some engines for the Leggero series.

We talked about all things Ducati and Walt told me a little about his background, etc. Bruce and I got along as we are both engine guys.

I'll be following this thread with interest.
Cool experience. My conversations with Walt over the phone have been pleasant and were what clinched the deal for me.

Being an engine guy, maybe you can give me some advice on how to handle my rebuild. I have the engine completely torn down, and am currently trying to figure out what to do with the case halves and side covers. I've been stripping the paint and media blasting some of the surfaces with both walnut and glass bead. I now need to figure out the best route for cleaning all the debris out of the components. I would like to think that warm, soapy water and a good scrub/spray will remove all the blast media, however I am not sure and don't have any experience with this. Can I clean all this crap out successfully myself, or should I take the parts to get cleaned by a shop with a hot tank?

2013 multistrada
1999 900SS
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2015, 1:28 pm

Subscribed!! Wow this should be interesting!

1994 900SS
Project Suziki JR50: get my boys started
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode