'00 900SS Overheating and Coughing/Cutting Out - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2008, 4:05 pm Thread Starter

'00 900SS Overheating and Coughing/Cutting Out

I'm back again...

So I took the bike to Ferracci last time, and since it was only 5 days before my move to Texas, asked them to just get it running (which they did). Good call on whoever said the injectors were clogged, btw!

Now I'm having a bit of a different problem though - the bike heats up really quickly, to about 90+ percent to red line and I've had a lot of excessive coughing/popping up through about 3500 rpms (especially when the bike is hot). To my untrained mind, this seems like it could be anything from more problems with the injectors to resetting the fly wheel to bad valves, but I think as we've established, I'm not especially good with these things.

I have a little more time to work on her now and would really prefer to keep her out of the shop if possible - anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2008, 5:17 pm

is the oil level correct?? are the oil cooling lines getting blocked slowing the oil flow??
is it runnning way to lean now that you have done the injectors??
the over heating and popping would point me to running to lean. check your air filter also and make sure its not clogged.

1995 900ss, 2002 injected 900ss turbo, triumph 675 front fairing off a race bike modded for street, 916 rear tail section and a few other mods.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2008, 12:39 am Thread Starter

How would I check if the oil cooling lines are getting blocked? And if I just had the injectors cleaned, wouldn't it tend to run rich instead of lean? I'll probably end up just replacing the air filter because I'm not sure how to check if it's getting clogged aside from opening up the airbox and eyeballing the filter - Philly winters were very unkind to this bike. Frankly, if she's eating oil, at this point it might be time think about parting her out...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2008, 8:11 am

I'd check your fuel lines for kinks, replace the fuel filter and check the interior of the tank. As Catilover said, coughing back through the throttle bodies is an indication of lean running. A lean running engine will also run hot.

A clogged air filter will reduce the amount of air mixing with the fuel. Look for things that would limit the amount of fuel supplied to the injectors or increase the amount of air going into the engine. Take a look at the vacuum lines (if it has them).

While you're in there, check the fuel pump by squirting gas into a glass jar. Check the gas for clarity.

'05 ST3
'90 906 Paso
It's not just a Ducati, it's a disease!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2008, 4:42 pm Thread Starter

I stopped into Austin Mototek, bought a new air and oil filter (the fuel filter is brand new) and asked them about it as well. He said that apparently in Texas during the summer bikes tend to run really hot, but if it's popping and dying it's probably an indication that it's running lean. He also said that it could be as simple as adjusting the ECU to run a little richer since the bike is coming from a different climate/altitude. I've got to get the bike in for TX inspection anyway, so I guess we'll see if it's that simple...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2008, 6:24 pm

in order to adjust the ECU, you need to take it to a Ducati dealer with the right equipment to set it up (and a gas analyser too...!!)

2005 red SS 1000ds
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2008, 10:27 pm

Buy a PowerCommander, install new spark plugs, make sure the fuel is fresh, change the oil, clean the air filter, then go have your bike dyno tuned. Find a shop (on dynojet.com) that has a dyno with an exhaust gas analyzer. They will make your air/fuel mixture perfect at all RPMs under any load. Your bike will never run better!

2001 Ducati 750SSie sport (my baby)
2006 Buell Blast (My Wife's baby)
1976 Yamaha XT500 (my project waaaay on the back burner)

And, before I die, I WILL own a 998!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2008, 2:01 pm Thread Starter

I'd love to get a power commander, unfortunately I'm working on a tight budget here (fresh out of grad school, debt the size of a mortgage, but without the house). As soon as I get a steady paycheck or when my PA registration expires, she's headed up to Mototek and I'll see what I can do then. In the meantime, I'm just setting the idle at about 2500 rpms and riding bow-legged to avoid burns from the heat off the engine...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2008, 3:13 pm

How do I adjust the idle on my 2000 750?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2008, 3:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattani View Post
How do I adjust the idle on my 2000 750?
My '00 900SS has a circular lever on the left handlebar. It's between the grip and the turn signal lever, sort of looks like a delay switch for a windshield wiper. Seems everything else is the same between the 900 and 750, so that's my guess as to where it would be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode