You Never Think It Will Happen To You.... - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 124 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2014, 9:31 am Thread Starter

You Never Think It Will Happen To You....

Started working on my 900ss about a year and a half ago. Never was really into street bikes until I was given this one. It was my late father-in-laws bike (he was the only owner) so my wife and mother-in-law did not want to see it leave the family (or sit in the garage any longer). So I took it and rehabbed it. I rebuilt the carbs, put an Ignitech unit on it, new tires, new coils.... Got it back to a running state and rode it this past summer. I am a little big for the bike but I love it. I finally decided to get a better seat for it (Sargent), replace the fork springs and install a longer shock. One thing I didn't address was the oil leaking from the head on the vertical cylinder (I wanted to ride it not rebuilt the engine). I have read all about the usual issues these bikes have (cracked frame, oil leaks, broken cylinder studs..) but have not noticed any of these issues except the oil leak..... until last night. I started breaking down the bike so I could replace the gaskets and rings on the top ends. Decided to remove the engine since I have not done this before. Went to remove the starter cable and that is when things got interesting.

After seeing that and realizing that this had just turned into a bit of a bigger project, I checked the vertical studs.

So now my 900ss has fallen victim to the normal Ducati issues. Since I am still new to these bike it is hard telling how long these have been broken. Now that this has become a bigger project I plan on splitting the cases and make sure that the oil galley plug has not started backing out. Let the fun begin!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	1398
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	483218   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	1369
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	483226  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 124 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2014, 9:49 am

Hopefully you have better luck than I do. I have had every known Ducati ss plague, as well as, a few others.

These bikes are super easy to work on, and everytime I look at it I know all of the work has been worth it.

1995 900ss/cr, K&N filter, Stock carbs, Custom PC Red frame with solo seat, Ninja front clip, Custom 2 into 1, Polished wheels
post #3 of 124 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2014, 2:34 pm

Welcome to my world. I bought a low mile SS a few years ago. Rode it a couple years, found crank plug residue, and quit riding it, bought a BEAUTIFUL Monster to ride, (I got the Duc addiction) and now gotta figure out how far to go with this old girl. I told my painter it's the bike I want to be buried with and now any work will have to reflect it, my work or his. All the [email protected]*holes on this forum keep giving me ideas I'm gonna have to figure out how to finance, or budget time to do!

post #4 of 124 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2014, 3:54 pm

Ha ideas. Someone should take my saws and welders. Here is how mine is sitting at the moment.

If only I could get my hands on a testastrata engine.

Seat mockup
You Never Think It Will Happen To You....-imageuploadedbymo-free1418766763.279387.jpg

1995 900ss/cr, K&N filter, Stock carbs, Custom PC Red frame with solo seat, Ninja front clip, Custom 2 into 1, Polished wheels
post #5 of 124 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2014, 8:38 pm

Garage
Sorry but it is hard for me to tell from the pictures. I assume you have broken studs? The horizontal looks to be a chrome stud (which were prone to fail) but from the picture the vertical looks dark like a factory replacement stud (these do not fail).

Either way I hope you are in building season like we are in the north east. not much riding up here due to snow and ice so a great time to get to know your bike. I tore a 996 motor apart today with a customer and even though it represented carnage and cash ,he enjoyed it. We can be an odd bunch..lol
post #6 of 124 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2014, 8:46 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by motroutman View Post
Started working on my 900ss about a year and a half ago. Never was really into street bikes until I was given this one. It was my late father-in-laws bike (he was the only owner) so my wife and mother-in-law did not want to see it leave the family (or sit in the garage any longer). So I took it and rehabbed it. I rebuilt the carbs, put an Ignitech unit on it, new tires, new coils.... Got it back to a running state and rode it this past summer. I am a little big for the bike but I love it. I finally decided to get a better seat for it (Sargent), replace the fork springs and install a longer shock. One thing I didn't address was the oil leaking from the head on the vertical cylinder (I wanted to ride it not rebuilt the engine). I have read all about the usual issues these bikes have (cracked frame, oil leaks, broken cylinder studs..) but have not noticed any of these issues except the oil leak..... until last night. I started breaking down the bike so I could replace the gaskets and rings on the top ends. Decided to remove the engine since I have not done this before. Went to remove the starter cable and that is when things got interesting.

After seeing that and realizing that this had just turned into a bit of a bigger project, I checked the vertical studs.

So now my 900ss has fallen victim to the normal Ducati issues. Since I am still new to these bike it is hard telling how long these have been broken. Now that this has become a bigger project I plan on splitting the cases and make sure that the oil galley plug has not started backing out. Let the fun begin!
That's a shame - I'm assuming those are broken studs in the pictures? Or one that's lost a nut, and one broken?

And have you seen all the 'broken stud' threads? They have a lot of good info - and various ways of dealing with any of the many problems that can pop up while trying to remove the studs.

Good luck with it all - at least you're into your winter, so you won't miss too much riding time!

'95 900 Superlight IV #064

Mods are: K&N filter, airbox lid on with rubber trumpets removed, MBP collets, full SMI (SilMoto Italia) spaghetti exhaust with 'open' carbon cans, 41mm FCR's - #182 mains!, Barnett alloy clutch basket, Oberon slave cylinder, Ohlins fork springs, Ohlins rear shock, Verlicchi swingarm.
post #7 of 124 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2014, 9:42 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan ciaramitaro View Post
Ha ideas. Someone should take my saws and welders. Here is how mine is sitting at the moment.

Seat mockup
Attachment 483266
How long has that white van been parked there? You and your Duck may be under surveillance!

Seriously, that looks like a neat project!
post #8 of 124 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2014, 11:04 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb64 View Post
That's a shame - I'm assuming those are broken studs in the pictures? Or one that's lost a nut, and one broken?
Yep those are broken studs. The bike has a little over 27,000 miles on it and I do not think the studs have ever been replaced.

Got the motor off the frame last night. There are a couple things that are really bothering me that I need some advice on.

First the final drive front sprocket has a lot of play in it. Is this normal or is it supposed to be pretty tight.
Second I noticed the oil cooler had no oil in it and it looked like nothing had been run through there in a while.

I did not find any metal shavings in the oil or on the oil filter screen so I do not think that the oil galley plug has backed out causing metal shavings to plug the channels that go to the oil cooler (but I could be wrong).

Thanks
post #9 of 124 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2014, 11:53 am

Garage
"First the final drive front sprocket has a lot of play in it. Is this normal or is it supposed to be pretty tight."

pretty normal, different sprocket brand to brand. Some just make theirs more precise, a little play may allow a bit more misalignment of the chain engine so it is not always a bad thing. Inspect the shaft splines for sure though.

"Second I noticed the oil cooler had no oil in it and it looked like nothing had been run through there in a while."

No oil is not normal, you should test all passageways to make sure it is working. Check that the diverter under the filter is there, if it is not then the oil is not being forced through the converter.
post #10 of 124 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2014, 12:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan ciaramitaro View Post

Seat mockup
Attachment 483266
Man your right, cut cut cut away I have a 01 750ss that I'm trying to figure out what to do with! It's not worth much so I figured I would start messing with it once the 98 933SPS (yes that's right a 933) is all put back together and running. Then I'll stick it in the corner with the other 10 Ducati's I have and start on the 750. I have a sickness see, I can't seem to sell any of my Ducati's....I always say I'm going to but then get to emotionally attached to them and just can't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode