900ss FE Performance Resturation - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 293 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 12:40 am Thread Starter

Garage
900ss FE Performance Restoration

Its that time of the year when the weather gets cold and the bikes go in for work.
This thread is just that, only the project actually started last year at this time. I am in the middle of another project https://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport...ject-bike.html
If you are interested. This project got put on hold while waiting for some machine work to get done. So I got bored and started another project.

The original idea I had was to do a bike like Pablo Pirate https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-super...uperlight.htmlthat took a 900ss bike and stuffed an ST3 motor in it. Good fun, so I found the perfect engine, a 95 ST3 with 2k on it for a great price. Next, to find the donor bike, so off to Craigs list where I found an add for a 900ss FE. Hmmm wanted a SuperLight, but this was basically the same bike, but found out upon reading that it actually had numerous improvements over the SuperLight. I also thought the silver was nice. So I went to check it out and it was beautiful, just under 10k miles, nice condition and it was marked #10 a nice low number (actually one of the lowest numbers in USA besides #4 at the Barber Museum. He wanted 7k for it which was too much for an FE, but it was a good find and I offered him 6k that he took. Off to home to see what I got myself into.
I get it home and start riding it as is, nothing new but tires. Rode it for about 2 months growing to like it more and more all the time. The noise of the carbs is much different than my FI Sport Classic. The bar sweep, the narrow feel, the upright position made it such a nice bike to just relax on and hit some swooping twisties. This all made me conclude that I cant mangle this bike with a motor swap and what else, and I decided instead to do a full restoration with a fully built motor. A real sleeper that would happily cruise around at 4k, then hit it and let the flat slides ripp up to 9k.
Money, yes this is always an issue, but I wont do a project unless I do it with no budget for money or time, just to do what it takes to make me happy. This can be trouble and this bike was no exception as I took it a little over the top
Becaue this forum and this great group of people so hapily give up time to post such useful infor, I almost feel obligated to give back with a nice thread covering the rebuild.
I hope you enjoy the details of last summer and this build I am now just finishing.

Pictures, everybody loves pictures, so I will post a lot of them and try to detail as much as I can. If I miss anything just ask and I will fill in the gaps.

First up

The bike as I bought it. Got it home and stripped the body off for a good cleaning.

More to come...

Last edited by EIGHTfortyEIGHT; Nov 23rd, 2014 at 10:13 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 293 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 4:12 am

That is a pretty awesome looking bike!

'95 900 SS - one day a Café Racer!
post #3 of 293 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 4:55 am

Hi,

very clean and nice looking SS...

Gray

post #4 of 293 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 5:38 am

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Robert
Loud clutches save lives.
1992 Ducati 900 SS, 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100, 2015 KTM Duke 690
post #5 of 293 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 2:07 pm

Woot! I've been waiting for this one. I'm guessing that this will be much, much more than a restoration.

1998 SS FE #194
2005 749R #362
2006 999 S
post #6 of 293 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 2:42 pm Thread Starter

Garage
You know it. This is the build list:

Completely restore everything down to the last nut and bolt, or replace it

The Engine -

DS1000 crank lightened and balanced
titanium rods
Pistal pistons at 11.5:1
Heads CNC ported - bigger valves
ST2 cams with Adjustable pulleys
Short intakes with 41 split FCR carbs
Termi race spaghetti system.

Here is the tear down. Nothing is really that bad, just used and old.

post #7 of 293 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2014, 12:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourRings View Post
Woot! I've been waiting for this one. I'm guessing that this will be much, much more than a restoration.
Me too. Looking forward to following this. Now if we can get Hamish back on board the winter won't be half so bad.

Gregor
post #8 of 293 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2014, 12:43 pm

You can, and maybe will answer this, but can racked FCR's be "unracked" and converted to split or are they different designs? My bike has racked and I'd like to go to the split set up. Hope you cover that.

Gregor
post #9 of 293 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2014, 2:23 pm

Subscribed!!!

Thankful to have another good build thread to look forward to...

2006 999s monoposto
2012 848 evo cafe
2001 M900Sie
post #10 of 293 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2014, 10:23 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Since this bike is getting the full restoration treatment, I knew it would be apart for a long time. My memory is not what it used to be and with so many other parts kicking around my garage I need to be super carful to document everything.

Every nut and bolt is getting re-plated. This gets done all at one time in a drum, so you better know what goes where when you get you bag of hardware back.

To make life better I take every nut, bolt and washer and lay it on a clean sheet of paper. I measure it and write this information along with its location next to it. Then I take a picture with my camera. When finished I can print out this page and lay every part back on the paper to match it all up exactly.

This is what a page looks like

I then document any details while disassembling that may be confusing, like wires, zip ties, springs, ext. You will be thankful you took these later when trying to put the puzzle back together again.

Calipers were a mess from years of brake dust.

Disk carries were also faded from years of sun and cleaners. These need to be re-anodized

Don't forget the little details

more tomorrow, actually I will try to post new pics every day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode