Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

What have you done to/with your SS today?

287K views 2K replies 256 participants last post by  MrSprinkle 
#1 ·
Just checking to see what others are doing with their bikes right now.

Since mine is new and I'm going down the customization path (busted up side fairings makes this easier than it would be if they were pristine), I'm doing maintenance, reading up on things I don't know about (plenty) and shopping around on Ebay (Sorry, I'd buy from you guys here but I can't post in the classifieds yet).

Done something interesting?
New parts show up?

It might be inspirational to see what the rest of you are up to.

#8 ·
Thanks! I've been looking for a carbon cover for the triple and the gauge surround.

Wow it's really cheap! :eek: How is the quality?

#18 · (Edited)
Well c/f parts are kind of a subjective thing HYPERR,everyone has their own opinion as to what exactly constitutes quality.

I can tell you that the gauge panel I have has a smooth glossy finish,there are no bubbles or pits in the resin,the carbon weave is evenly spaced and symmetrical and the slanted pattern of the weave is very pleasing to the eye,the panel itself is fairly thick and sturdy and has been CNC machined so the edges are square and precise,and as you can see in my pic the panel lines up perfectly with the dash lights and gauge mounts as though it was always meant to be there.

You really couldn't ask for more,so I guess I'd have to say that the overall quality is pretty darned good considering the price that I paid for it.

For what it's worth HYPERR,I've purchased quite a few name brand c/f parts for my bikes over the years that I paid a whole lot more for and sometimes came away disappointed because the quality,fit,and finish on a select few of those pieces wasn't even anywhere near as nice as it is on this cheaply priced Skur gauge panel.

#9 · (Edited)
Removed oil!!

The previous owner must have filled the oil with the bike on it's side stand, as the oil level filled the entire sight glass when put upright. I drained 0.5 - 0.75 quarts out of the engine just to get it to the "max" line.

Fortunately the last oil change was <200 miles ago (I just got the bike last weekly and have put <100 miles on it so far). I'm hoping this is too little mileage in this state for real damage.

On my second ride, I smelled oil burning and noticed a slight oil leak during cold starts. :mad: It was coming off around the belts on the right side and dripping it's way down onto the exhaust. I'm seriously hoping that it was due to too much oil pressure and will subside now that it has the proper volume in the system.

By the way, it made a tremendous performance boost now that the crank doesn't have to dredge through all that extra liquid. For a moment I found myself questioning why this was such a famed engine, but she's livened up quite a bit now.

Next up -- new belts, new (to me) DP high mount exhaust, and a trip to the dyno room.

#11 ·
In the last week;
Checked shims - two openers changed.
Changed fuel filter - hardest part was getting the pump out.
Drained oil and changed filter.
Removed heavy standard flywheel and installed lighter Nichols.
Changed pick-up coils with new Ducati parts. I bought them and hope it fixes the hiccups and steady revs.
Put everything back together and fill with oil - to half a window :)
And it started - once I had added petrol to the empty tank.
Still have put side panels back on and fit new, sitting on the desk here, Woodcraft rear-sets.
Created space for new (to me) arrival tomorrow.

#12 ·
Rode to a friends house, stopped for fuel, the fuel light came on just as I got to town. I noticed the bike surges a bit at part throttle 4500-5500 but runs fine if I wick it a bit. This is not a problem for me, at some point I may check the action of the vacuum slides in that range. I got no flickering oil light, that was the important thing.

#13 ·
Do you use Sea Foam? If not do so. It calls for an oz per gallon. Keeps the carbs happy. I use less in my normal fill ups. Maybe an oz or two per tank. I don't measure that precisely. All the carb gum and sticky issues go away.

Bob

#15 ·
Cleaned/lubed+greased throttle cables and the throttle grip housing. Then reattached and adjusted them. Nice smooth snaps now. Tonight if I have time I'll change the cam belts or install the gas filler.

Question: Does Chris Kelley's cam belt change video apply to my '93 900? I just noticed he has one video generically titled cam belt chnge, one for the 999 I believe and another for a dual spark engine.

I only ask because I haven't found a c belt change guide specific to my '93. I don't have a Hayne's manual right now & a '91 workshop manual that doesn't cover the belt changes some reason. I think there may be a workshop manual for my year online that I have already been pointed to and will check tonight.

#17 ·
Question: Does Chris Kelley's cam belt change video apply to my '93 900? I just noticed he has one video generically titled cam belt chnge, one for the 999 I believe and another for a dual spark engine.

I only ask because I haven't found a c belt change guide specific to my '93. I don't have a Hayne's manual right now & a '91 workshop manual that doesn't cover the belt changes some reason. I think there may be a workshop manual for my year online that I have already been pointed to and will check tonight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vzPZ84ZRjU

If this is the video you are talking about, then yes, it is for the '93 900. Just make sure all 3 marks on the cam belt pulleys line up with the marks on the covers or crankcase, and use the 5 and 6mm allen wrench tension adjustment method, and it will all go well. Not too hard really.

#16 ·
I reshimmed the transmission drive shaft. I had .45mm of end play, about .35 too much, now I am at .05 and reassembling the engine.

#23 ·
Thanks Joe ;).

When installing the Nichols motor mount bolts, I was a bit surprised to see the amount of gap between the motor and frame when the I loosened the OEM bolt. I had expected a fairly tight interference fit between motor and frame. Instead, there was about a 1/16" gap. Not a big deal, in fact when considering manufacturing processes, I probably should be surprised that it wasn't bigger :eek:.

Following the Nichols instructions, the install went easily. I'm looking forward to see if I can feel any difference. Doubtful, but who knows?

#31 ·
Thanks Joe ;).
I'm looking forward to see if I can feel any difference. Doubtful, but who knows?
besides dialing in your suspension..BEST Bang for your $

Now the beautiful trellis frame is actually securely sandwiched to engine from both sides equally as apposed to the factory set up. Your first 60+ MPH corner will have you smiling in your helmet

P.S. I changed the oil in mine last night along with the Aprilia...ROYAL PURPLE BABY!

#28 ·
Thanks, man. The seller was a great guy to meet. He's got more mind blowing projects going on right now than I think I've ever had a hand in. After I put them on, the wife came out to take a look. She said she could hear the bike from all the way inside the house (my workspaces in the shop away from the house). She approved :)

#30 ·
I got that bar switch from Bike Sport Developments in the UK. They offer it in both 4 or 5 button style. They also offer a matching 2 button run/kill start switch.

The buttons come in your choice of colors and you can have the bar switch configured any way you like using either momentary or latching type switches.
You can also have the top of the switch housing custom engraved if you like.

The quality is exceptional but as everyone knows quality ain't cheap.

Here's the link. Click me.>>>Generic race bike

#34 ·
I rode it... Rode it some more... And a few days ago watched it roll over 42,XXX miles. Since my ownership, I haven't done anything more then adjust belt tension and change the oil/filter. Although I will be doing something to it soon.. Don't know when or what yet.