What have you done to/with your SS today? - Page 66 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #651 of 1180 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2017, 12:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrss View Post
Yeah right, leave your bike overnight to be stolen/abused/ridden/damaged! Where are these clowns?
Exactly!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb64 View Post
Sounds like you have the rego bit sorted then.

Yeah - how times have changed... My missus took mine in (we were in Wellington), they let her hang around while they did the check (took an hour or so) - even let her pick put a numberplate with the 'right' number for me.

Which testing outfit were you dealing with? I'm pretty sure VTNZ here (Whangarei) can do it in less than a day. You could always trailer them up... Only a couple of hours each way. Though I'd try and phone the branch here first and confirm.
I've been to one branch each of VTNZ, VINZ, and AA. The worst was AA today, their motorcycle inspector works between a couple of branches. They said bring the bike/s in and leave them here and he'll do them next time he's at this branch. I said so that might be 3 or 4 or 5 days? Yeah. He started to get a bit shitty when I said there's no way I'll be doing that.

I might have to ring up some regional branches that are a bit quieter, they may be a bit more helpful and cooperative. I'm going to do the 900 SS first to check whoever it is out, before I let them loose on the 851.

1992 Ducati 900 SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #652 of 1180 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2017, 8:31 pm

I replaced the chain and tires on mine over the weekend.

post #653 of 1180 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2017, 9:18 am

Removed plastics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0038_1485098278153.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	455.5 KB
ID:	785122  

post #654 of 1180 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2017, 7:37 pm
Prolific Poster Award

I'm prepping my motor and frame to paint. I've been shaving the globs off the frame welds first. They shouldn't let those guys drink so much vino at work. I think mine got welded by an apprentice after lunch on pay day.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #655 of 1180 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2017, 9:36 pm

Garage
Took my cases from my doner motor to a place where I could vapor blast them.

after vapor blasting, here's part of my collection of parts.
Andreaz, ZADSS, jimmyjojo and 2 others like this.

'94 900SS
Marchesini's, FCR's, Staintune, Ignitech
post #656 of 1180 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2017, 6:48 am

Garage
Fixed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb64 View Post
Still trying to track down the damn misfire. It's getting worse, and appears to get worse with temperature, so I'm beginning to think 'ignition' again. As I've already swapped out the coil (of the problem - vert. - cylinder), and swapped the ignitors, the only thing left that I can think of is the ignition pickup coils - so that's the next thing to try and get.

Anyway - I went for a ride (it was 30C, and too hot to do outdoors work) - yesterday - up to a friends coastal retreat. About a 400km round trip. Must suck to be sitting in snow...

Yahoo! Bastard thing. Well, I was right, it was electrical. Last time I rode it (a couple of days ago), it was getting really temperamental, and the misfire was coming and going at various revs and times - so bad at one stage I thought I was going to have to call for a pickup. Anyway, I thought I'd have a look today - thinking maybe the wires from the pickup coils were failing, causing the intermittent misfire...
So, I get the fairing side off, and pull the battery - and look at the coils, thinking - "I think I changed the horizontal coil last time - maybe I'll change the vertical again..." So trot off and grab a spare (used) coil, and I checked how tight the plug cap was on the lead - and 'pop' - and it came off in my hand. "Hmmmmm..." I wonder if that's my problem. Grab the plug cap on the vert. cylinder - and it didn't even pop - it just fell off. So out with the sidecutters, and I snipped off about 15mm (1/2") of lead, and screwed the plug caps back on (I did both plugs). Fired it up, and no misfire.
Took it for a quick ride, and it's sweet as. Now I just need a new front tyre.

So to those who said "it's the plug leads" - you were close. The leads were OK, but the caps were as loose as hell. Just tight enough that they didn't fall off when I was pulling spark plugs out.
Stick likes this.

'95 900 Superlight IV #064

Mods are: K&N filter, airbox lid on with rubber trumpets removed, MBP collets, full SMI (SilMoto Italia) spaghetti exhaust with 'open' carbon cans, 41mm FCR's - #182 mains!, Barnett alloy clutch basket, Oberon slave cylinder, Ohlins fork springs, Ohlins rear shock, Verlicchi swingarm.
post #657 of 1180 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2017, 9:07 pm

New upgrades

Just made some nice upgrades to the 91 900SS. New stoppers and new controls.

New Braketech Axis Iron rotors to haul it down.

New Brembo radial controls to help with the stopping duties.

New Pirelli Supercorsa Race/Street compound sneakers to keep it sticking to the pavement.

Dropped some weight, better stopping and a lot more fun getting in and out of corners.
methanol and peter139 like this.

MadDuc916 Georgetown, Texas. 1991 900SS, 1997 916 Mono
post #658 of 1180 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2017, 11:11 am

Had some money burning a hole in my pocket so I sprung for a rear Ohlins DU235 for my 94SS. My goodness the thing is adjustable! Wasn't sure where to set it to test it out but the pre-load seemed to be close enough to ride. I will need to get into some proper measurements in the future but was anxious to try it out. Couple laps around the block felt weird so I played with the rebound and compression settings a bit and found a pretty good place. A better test came today on my freeway commute to work ~20 miles. Wow, an eye opener for sure. There are a couple of big bumps that I hit that usually give me a bounce and I smoothed right over them with a much less pronounced "bump". There were a couple of areas where I could feel some "floating" sensation so I will probably add a couple clicks to the compression side for the ride home later today...or would it be the rebound side? I am being really nit picky here because the ride quality seemed much improved!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000591.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	787466   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000594.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	787474   Click image for larger version

Name:	ad2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	787482  
jimmyjojo likes this.

Last edited by Kevin T; Feb 1st, 2017 at 11:24 am.
post #659 of 1180 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 7:24 am

Garage
Got out for a ride - new front tyre needed scrubbing in... About a 250 km loop, with a stop to pick up some fresh smoked fish for dinner. Bike running MUCH better with the plug leads attached to the caps. But it still has a misfire - but just at idle, and that's from all the stuffing around with the carbs - I need to reset my idle mixtures again.
Kevin T likes this.

'95 900 Superlight IV #064

Mods are: K&N filter, airbox lid on with rubber trumpets removed, MBP collets, full SMI (SilMoto Italia) spaghetti exhaust with 'open' carbon cans, 41mm FCR's - #182 mains!, Barnett alloy clutch basket, Oberon slave cylinder, Ohlins fork springs, Ohlins rear shock, Verlicchi swingarm.
post #660 of 1180 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2017, 5:21 pm

still busy with my rebuild

Now

Kevin T likes this.

Ducati 750ss 1995 (restored last year)
Ducati 999 2002
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode