What have you done to/with your SS today? - Page 36 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #351 of 1180 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2015, 1:37 pm

I worked on my wall arrangement!
willyboy and davesprinkle like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #352 of 1180 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2015, 1:54 am

Not all the work was done today, but it all culminated in my first ride today in 10 months.

I bought a 1000SS DS swingarm from Japan some time ago. Second hand from a bike with 11,500km on it, mint condition ( they must have ultrasonically cleaned it before shipping it because it's "as new" clean . It came with a similar condition ( mint ) axle / washers / nuts / upper and lower chain sliders. I ordered a standard 1000 SS DS plastic hugger / chain guard from Ducati, they had to get it in, I bet it's the first standard plastic hugger they've sold for a long time. While I was at it I fitted a 41 tooth rear sprocket that a bloke threw in when I bought the aluminium Termi's from him ( thanks Steve ), and new DID chain.

Also put new cam belts on, that's why there's no belt cover, as I need to check the tension after a hot run.

More than a year ago I got my Showa forks rebuilt at Cogent Dynamics with Ohlins internals and new springs. They fitted 0.85 springs which were too light, despite me giving them my weight etc, so I had to pull the forks again, and got .95 springs ( locally ). So now I just need to go back to my suspension setup guy and get them adjusted correctly, and with the Ohlins DU235 rear shock ( 1000 SS DS / the long shock ), the bike should finally handle nicely.

So today I went for my first ride since January. Partly because I had the forks out getting the .95 springs, then I broke my finger on my left hand in August so I couldn't use the clutch. Anyway, the finger is getting a lot better with therapy, and I finally got both ends of the bike together at the same time so off I went. Went for a 90km / 55 mile ride, my left hand / arm was aching by the time I got back. The speedo turned over 13,000 km / 8105 miles while I was out. No the bike doesn't get ridden much unfortunately, but that will change in a couple of years when I finish working overseas and go back to a normal life and work in the same city I live in. I've had the bike just over 5 years, and ridden it 2090 kms / 1300 miles

Here's the obligatory picture you all want, not a very good pic with the pocket camera, but one day I'll clean the old girl up and take some decent pics.

1992 Ducati 900 SS

Last edited by JAFA; Nov 18th, 2015 at 2:06 am.
post #353 of 1180 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2015, 1:54 pm

I took off a few more parts to get to the top cylinder stud and remembered that it is a great time to get that rear fender fixed up. Took it to a trusted autobody paint shop and they are going to shoot it with clear a couple of times. Cant wait to see how it looks when I get it back! The front of it looks shiny but it is pretty beat up toward the rear.

post #354 of 1180 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2015, 5:26 pm
Average Weird Guy.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoshmonster View Post
Hollow axle sounds like a cool idea Dave.....and I was also thinking about looking into having the rear axle bolt (and the front axle too while I'm at it) made up in titanium.
Well it's not made out of titanium but it is hollow and lighter than stock so I guess two outta three ain't bad.

Picked up a steel PEO Zero Point hollow front axle from Webike in Japan. Ordered it first week in August,took exactly four months to get here.
Think they were probably still mining the raw metal for it when I placed my order.

Stock Ducati solid front axle scales in at 1.40 lbs (Pic 1),PEO Zero Point hollow front axle scales in at .85 lbs (Pic 2)

Still thinking about having the rear axle bolt from my Metmachex swingarm made up in titanium though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stock Ducati solid 900SS front axle..JPG
Views:	226
Size:	817.3 KB
ID:	643265   Click image for larger version

Name:	PEO Zero Point hollow 900SS front axle.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	820.8 KB
ID:	643273  

'95 900SS CR affectionately known as "The Pizza Wagon"
post #355 of 1180 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2015, 7:06 pm

Quote:
Still thinking about having the rear axle bolt from my Metmachex swingarm made up in titanium though.
Yeah me too. I was even looking at a stock CR axle as I think it is long enough where my stock SS axles aren't Also the CR Axle has a fixed end plus a nut instead of the double nut program so it would be easier to safety pin. My slotted Metmachex arm needs a longer axle than stock and the solid axle supplied with the arm is heavy as. Maybe it's different to the axle for the eccentric style?

Yoyodyne do Titanium front and rear axles. I'm sort of hesitant to post in case they were cheaper than the Japanese axle you purchased. But they aren't cheap so I doubt it. Axles, Titanium for Motorcycles

I had a late swingarm shipped out to the US from Japan and it was in the West coast in under a week. Probably the same guys that Jafa got his from. So shipping from Japan can be fast.

66 350 Sebring, 93 900 SS, 2000 900 SSie
post #356 of 1180 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2015, 9:20 pm
Average Weird Guy.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
Yoyodyne do Titanium front and rear axles. I'm sort of hesitant to post in case they were cheaper than the Japanese axle you purchased.
$162 US Dollars for the PEO hollow front axle shaft so nope the Yoyodyne titanium axles are definitely more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
My slotted Metmachex arm needs a longer axle than stock and the solid axle supplied with the arm is heavy as. Maybe it's different to the axle for the eccentric style?
The working length on my Metmachex eccentric style axle bolt is 330mm Dave but the bolt also has a slot for a woodruff key and a flat surface milled into it.

The woodruff key and that flat milled surface lock into the outer eccentric adjuster plates on either side of the swingarm. This allows the adjuster plates to move simultaneously when making the chain tensioning adjustment. Pretty neat little bit of engineering there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Metmachex eccentric style rear axle shaft..JPG
Views:	219
Size:	805.1 KB
ID:	643377  

'95 900SS CR affectionately known as "The Pizza Wagon"
post #357 of 1180 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2015, 10:38 pm

Quote:

The working length on my Metmachex eccentric style axle bolt is 330mm Dave but the bolt also has a slot for a woodruff key and a flat surface milled into it.

The woodruff key and that flat milled surface lock into the outer eccentric adjuster plates on either side of the swingarm. This allows the adjuster plates to move simultaneously when making the chain tensioning adjustment. Pretty neat little bit of engineering there.
Yeah it is neat. My axle might be the same piece (I remember the flat on the threaded end) but no key slot. It does have a big alloy washer as it could be a little shorter. It certainly has the taper to the thread that makes it a fantastic drift for the swingarm pivot pin.

Maybe a start would be to get that piece bored out a little. The easy way of doing it (doing both ends rather than boring through from one end) can leave a mismatch in the centre of the axle that can be a failure point. I'm sure you could remove as much as the stock axle has removed without too much problem. Having one made up in Ti might cost some $$$$$ with the eccentric pick up points and the keyway might be best left solid although it is pretty well supported in the eccentric piece.

66 350 Sebring, 93 900 SS, 2000 900 SSie
post #358 of 1180 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2015, 4:54 am

Garage
Got out for a ride on Sunday - my last lot of suspension tweaks have paid off - the rear is now working as nicely as the front, and the 'turn in' to corners is also feeling really nice. Then on the way home, I realised that while my LED headlight is putting out plenty of light - I was still having trouble seeing things. So I figured out that my LED instrument lights (cool white) were putting out too much light - as was the green 'lights on' warning light - and it was all reflecting off the inner layer of my pinlock anti-fog shield on my Shoei visor, creating a flare of light right in front of my eyes.

The blue high beam also caused a problem, but I'd already 'fixed' that with a strip of black insulating tape over the middle of the light... So - I have now ordered some slightly lower lumen output red LEDs for the instrument lighting, and some lower output 'mini wedge' LEDs to fit into the original sockets for the two headlight (green and blue) warning lights - plus a red one for the temp gauge lighting. Hopefully, the lower output warning LEDs will still be visible in the daylight... It's kinda nice being able to see them, after so many years of having to guess if one was on on a sunny day. If it all works as hoped, I'll post up the part numbers in the LED warning lights thread.

'95 900 Superlight IV #064

Mods are: K&N filter, airbox lid on with rubber trumpets removed, MBP collets, full SMI (SilMoto Italia) spaghetti exhaust with 'open' carbon cans, 41mm FCR's - #182 mains!, Barnett alloy clutch basket, Oberon slave cylinder, Ohlins fork springs, Ohlins rear shock, Verlicchi swingarm.
post #359 of 1180 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2015, 2:07 pm

Purchased this; from a Superlight. Was exp. however mine needed refurb. dials, new foam base, or c/f cover so would have cost nearly the same to do. And with this I have lowered my mileage LOL.

Now need a new screen so it will fit.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	inst. panel.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	645057  
post #360 of 1180 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2015, 2:09 pm

Garage
Ordered a pit-bull headlift stand so I can remove the forks for service/upgrades...

I still need to decide if I'm going $ and just doing springs, $$ with springs and valves, or $$$ by dropping in a cartridge kit.

I have a few weeks to decide.

2007 GT1000
2003 DS1000 SuperSport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode