What have you done to/with your SS today? - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 1050 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2014, 1:26 am

In the last week;
Checked shims - two openers changed.
Changed fuel filter - hardest part was getting the pump out.
Drained oil and changed filter.
Removed heavy standard flywheel and installed lighter Nichols.
Changed pick-up coils with new Ducati parts. I bought them and hope it fixes the hiccups and steady revs.
Put everything back together and fill with oil - to half a window :-)
And it started - once I had added petrol to the empty tank.
Still have put side panels back on and fit new, sitting on the desk here, Woodcraft rear-sets.
Created space for new (to me) arrival tomorrow.

2008 MS4RS Tricolore
1993 Ducati 900SS
1984 Honda VF1000RE
1966 250 Ducati Scrambler

He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a pebble and rolling an ankle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 1050 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2014, 7:14 am
Prolific Poster Award

Rode to a friends house, stopped for fuel, the fuel light came on just as I got to town. I noticed the bike surges a bit at part throttle 4500-5500 but runs fine if I wick it a bit. This is not a problem for me, at some point I may check the action of the vacuum slides in that range. I got no flickering oil light, that was the important thing.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #13 of 1050 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2014, 8:07 am

Do you use Sea Foam? If not do so. It calls for an oz per gallon. Keeps the carbs happy. I use less in my normal fill ups. Maybe an oz or two per tank. I don't measure that precisely. All the carb gum and sticky issues go away.

Bob

Ducati ST4s (gen II) {Duc 900 SS-SP gone but not forgotten}
Husaberg FE 400, Trumpet Tiger 800

post #14 of 1050 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2014, 11:48 am

I walked out in the garage, gave the old SS and quick eye f**k and then hopped on the 1098 and went to work. Will probabaly do the same when I get home.
post #15 of 1050 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2014, 4:18 pm

Garage
Cleaned/lubed+greased throttle cables and the throttle grip housing. Then reattached and adjusted them. Nice smooth snaps now. Tonight if I have time I'll change the cam belts or install the gas filler.

Question: Does Chris Kelley's cam belt change video apply to my '93 900? I just noticed he has one video generically titled cam belt chnge, one for the 999 I believe and another for a dual spark engine.

I only ask because I haven't found a c belt change guide specific to my '93. I don't have a Hayne's manual right now & a '91 workshop manual that doesn't cover the belt changes some reason. I think there may be a workshop manual for my year online that I have already been pointed to and will check tonight.

1993 900 Supersport SP
1999 900 Supersport
post #16 of 1050 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2014, 5:25 pm

I reshimmed the transmission drive shaft. I had .45mm of end play, about .35 too much, now I am at .05 and reassembling the engine.
post #17 of 1050 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2014, 6:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpIron01 View Post
Question: Does Chris Kelley's cam belt change video apply to my '93 900? I just noticed he has one video generically titled cam belt chnge, one for the 999 I believe and another for a dual spark engine.

I only ask because I haven't found a c belt change guide specific to my '93. I don't have a Hayne's manual right now & a '91 workshop manual that doesn't cover the belt changes some reason. I think there may be a workshop manual for my year online that I have already been pointed to and will check tonight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vzPZ84ZRjU

If this is the video you are talking about, then yes, it is for the '93 900. Just make sure all 3 marks on the cam belt pulleys line up with the marks on the covers or crankcase, and use the 5 and 6mm allen wrench tension adjustment method, and it will all go well. Not too hard really.
post #18 of 1050 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2014, 7:00 pm
Average Weird Guy.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPERR View Post
Thanks! I've been looking for a carbon cover for the triple and the gauge surround.

Wow it's really cheap! How is the quality?
Well c/f parts are kind of a subjective thing HYPERR,everyone has their own opinion as to what exactly constitutes quality.

I can tell you that the gauge panel I have has a smooth glossy finish,there are no bubbles or pits in the resin,the carbon weave is evenly spaced and symmetrical and the slanted pattern of the weave is very pleasing to the eye,the panel itself is fairly thick and sturdy and has been CNC machined so the edges are square and precise,and as you can see in my pic the panel lines up perfectly with the dash lights and gauge mounts as though it was always meant to be there.

You really couldn't ask for more,so I guess I'd have to say that the overall quality is pretty darned good considering the price that I paid for it.

For what it's worth HYPERR,I've purchased quite a few name brand c/f parts for my bikes over the years that I paid a whole lot more for and sometimes came away disappointed because the quality,fit,and finish on a select few of those pieces wasn't even anywhere near as nice as it is on this cheaply priced Skur gauge panel.

'95 900SS CR affectionately known as "The Pizza Wagon"

Last edited by stoshmonster; Jul 18th, 2014 at 7:17 pm.
post #19 of 1050 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2014, 9:23 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-B View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vzPZ84ZRjU

If this is the video you are talking about, then yes, it is for the '93 900.
Yes that is it. Thanks Joe.

1993 900 Supersport SP
1999 900 Supersport
post #20 of 1050 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2014, 10:53 am

I went for a blast through the Denver foothills, then installed this stuff....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode