What have you done to/with your SS today? - Page 13 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 2:40 pm
Señor Member

This morning I ordered more replacement parts. My painted parts should be ready by the end of the week.

1996 900 SS/SP #C25
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Special
2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 4:46 pm

Sent my forks off to RaceTech for the full monty: springs, gold valves, bushings and seals. I'm the second owner, forks have 20K miles on them, plenty of track miles, but they're all stock and a little soft for me.

I noticed that RT offers rebound valves on the work order form, but they're not on the spring rate calculator page, and I don't know whether they're even needed for the adjustable Showas or not.

Also have new steering head bearings arriving tomorrow and will have the lower stem race removed and replaced.

Rear shock (also stock) is next big ticket item on the list. Then maybe FCRs. Yeah, I've decided I'm gonna keep this one.

94 900SS/SP #034
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 5:50 pm
Average Weird Guy.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy60 View Post
I dunno, but I think that might look bloody awesome when it is painted up and fitted. Keep us updated.
Will do my friend.

Gonna be quite awhile before I can get that belly pan anywhere near the frame though Muddy.
Got a mountain of paint,powdercoat,and anodizing work that needs to be done yet plus I still have to source a few more parts and assemble the entire motor. (Gonna be a loooong busy winter.)
The crankshaft is currently out in Colorado at Fox Performance for polish,balance,and knife-edge. Shipped it there back in late August,wonder if Ben forgot about me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourRings View Post
Stosh - that should look pretty cool with your new fairing!
Fingers crossed but yeah that's what I'm hoping too Mike.

The belly pan and twin cat-eye head light fairing panel should combine to give the bike a fairly distinctive/updated look without straying too far away from the original 900SS styling.

It's not my bike,but the pic below gives you a rough idea (minus the belly pan and various assorted geegaws and doodads) of what my bike should look like when it's finally done. (Pic is courtesy of forum member Gajus.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	900SS twin headlight 3..jpg
Views:	337
Size:	431.3 KB
ID:	465465  

'95 900SS CR affectionately known as "The Pizza Wagon"

Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 6:10 pm

I went for a great ride this morning. Then came home and started the disassembly for my looong winter project.

1998 SS FE #194
2005 749R #362
2006 999 S
Old Nov 3rd, 2014, 8:52 am
Saddle Sore

Garage
I put fuel stabilizer in and hooked up the Optimate charger. Temperature was below freezing this morning.
Sleep well, fair SS.

Peter S
_______
2005 ST4S Black Beast
1996 900SS Red Rocket
Old Nov 9th, 2014, 2:40 am

I went for a ride this afternoon.

I took a bite of the bullet that and pulle the fuel pump again from my tank and proved the new pump I bought did not work from day ONE. Bought another pump today, afterwards thinking that I should have had it replaced under manufacturers warranty but had had enough.

Took it for a ginger 150 km ride. Estimated I should have seen the low fuel light at around 120 km allowing for what fuel I did put back in the tank.

At 140 km it started to splutter, would idle and rev but under load was spluttering. Puled it into the next servo and filled it up... took 13.4 litres. light should have come on somewhere around 12 litres. ok maybe 4 weeks of dry tank and lots of that propped up almost empty may have stuck the sensor.

Other than that I had a niceish few hours out.. apart from looking across a paddock for a second or two then looking back to the road and seeing the line of traffic had stopped. Fark me, light pressure on the bar had me rolling along the double white centre line past two cars before I realised what was going on. Thank fark that I ride in the wheel track closest to the centre line and generally leave a decent gap otherwise I would have been through the back window of the 4wd after 15 km of the ride.

insert witty comments here...
Old Nov 15th, 2014, 6:25 pm
Average Weird Guy.

Garage
I finally got my new wheel rim situation squared away Potshot. I ended up going with the OZ Piega's from Motowheels. Turns out that my prior reservations about them were completely groundless.

Pics just don't do them justice,in the flesh these things are drop dead gorgeous. The bright gold color is exactly what I was looking for too,it's all at once tasteful and elegant without being overly blingy. Now I know why so many guys and gals use them on their Supersport's.

Sorry about the quality of the pics Potshot,these things are so darn shiny it's difficult to get a decent shot of them. (BTW - Howzabout a coupla pics of those Marchi's you alluded to earlier in the thread.)

I went with BrakeTech AXIS/Cobra stainless steel front rotors from Ca-Cycleworks and a matching BrakeTech AXIS stainless steel rear rotor from Scotts Motorcycle Service. These rotors are all "rattlers" (full floaters).

I also went with a 38 tooth AFAM Superlite RS8-R hard anodized aluminum sprocket from Motowheels. (That gold rim with a black sprocket should look pretty cool with a red EK MVXZ drive chain whipping around it.)
And last but not least I went with gold titanium hardware from Probolts for that finishing touch.

The last pic is just the wheel rotation marking that's machined into the rims. Just wanted to say that I like it when wheel manufacturers make the rotation markings this obvious because then even a goob like me can't screw up the direction when installing them.

(Heavy sigh) Okay now that I've got my new wheel rim/brake rotor/drive sprocket situation squared away it pretty much goes without saying that I'm broke and will be eating crackers and ketchup sandwiches for awhile,but hey sometimes you just gotta make sacrifices for the cause.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OZ Piega front rim.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	471033   Click image for larger version

Name:	OZ Piega rear rim brake side.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	471041   Click image for larger version

Name:	OZ Piega rear rim drive side.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	471049   Click image for larger version

Name:	OZ Piega rotation marking.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	471057  

Old Nov 15th, 2014, 7:47 pm

Hey stosh, lets see some pictures of those beauties on your Supersport. I'm considering saving up for a set myself.

1995 Supersport 900
Old Nov 15th, 2014, 9:04 pm
Average Weird Guy.

Garage
Sorry Pyttsan,no can do on those wheel pics at the moment.

I'm in the middle of a complete ground up restoration and the bike is in about eighty-eleven different pieces right now.

Old Nov 16th, 2014, 7:19 pm Thread Starter

Oh man, I know all about crackers and ketchup sandwiches, but that gold truly does look glorious. Sounds like you went all the way with everything. The pictures are clear enough, that's a great purchase.

Ok, so here's the rear Marchesini right next to the Supersprox sprocket that I intended to use. <facepalm> Yeah, the sprocket I bought for my stock rims. </facepalm>.

Hopefully Aneta out at Supersprox will help me out with some kind of exchange.

What's killing my beer budget now is the impulse purchase I made on a carbon set; Upper, lowers and fender. On top of that I took in a first gen GSXR this spring and I have it strung up like something out of the inquisition as I clean it up. I'll be out in the shop full time (well, when I'm not working) until spring.

1993 900SS
1986 GSXRs, E30s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in