What have you done to/with your SS today? - Page 119 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1181 of 1211 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2019, 7:54 am

Garage
Rode it to work AGAIN! Keeping the promise to myself to ride the damn thing more, and fall weather here is the best.

To make it a bit more user-friendly, I installed a remote fuel valve. It took me longer deciding where to install it than the actual installation, which is admittedly a little primitive but it works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Office.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	954227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	954229  
ducvet and Rex Coil 7 like this.

Robert
Loud clutches save lives.
1992 Ducati 900 SS, 2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100, 2005 Honda VTX1300S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1182 of 1211 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 2:15 pm

Garage
Finally got the right bikini fairing for my naked SS/SP mounted, going for a ride

redpato, rwantin and Rex Coil 7 like this.

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746
post #1183 of 1211 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 3:42 pm

I finally got the required tools to pull apart my calipers, to find the pistons locked into the bores. FILTHY
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190922_120936.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	370.0 KB
ID:	954399  

post #1184 of 1211 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 4:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockAZ View Post
Finally got the right bikini fairing for my naked SS/SP mounted, going for a ride

Wow ... that looks pretty cool! Is there a headlight in that thing? I can sorta tell ... and sorta not tell.

1996 900CR.
Never quit, die falling forward.
post #1185 of 1211 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 5:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockAZ View Post

What’s that car?
post #1186 of 1211 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 6:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
What’s that car?
An old Jag XJ6 I think.

'73 Ducati Bevel Drive 750 GT |'74 Norton Commando Roadster |'96 Ducati 900 Super Sport/SP | '06 Sport 1000 Monoposto
post #1187 of 1211 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 8:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraDuc View Post
An old Jag XJ6 I think.
That was my initial guess, but I’m not entirely sure.
post #1188 of 1211 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 9:19 pm

Garage
Yes, 1973 XJ6 - 61K miles, unrestored, not started since 1984. Connely leather! I have all the pieces to get it running (Euro spec carbs, +75hp), but these damm Italian mistresses take all my time. The other Jag is 21 VIN numbers off, I put a SBC Torquer motor from Jeggs 383, and a 2.85 rear end in it and I do drive that one.

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746
post #1189 of 1211 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 10:33 pm

Garage
Played around with the replacement engine this weekend. Poured a couple of quarts of oil in it to clean it out. Hasn't had oil in it in a very long time. How long is anyone's guess. At any rate, I poured some oil in, drained it out. A bit of water came out with the oil. Not a great deal but some.

Removed the filter and it too had some water in it. Not a great deal, but some. All together, I'd say somewhere around about 1/4 cup. Maybe a bit less. I dunno if that can be chalked up to years of condensation draining down into the oil pan or maybe it was pressure washed before being stored without oil in it? I really don't know. It was very clear water though, not all gummy and nasty like it was mixed in with the oil for a long period of time. Kinda what drove me to the conclusions above.

At any rate, in went new 20W50 and a new K&N filter. Then the engine and frame got married back up. That's pretty much a land mark point in my resto-mod. Things are going back together now, and aside from paint, and few details that I have to get ironed out, I should have a roller here very shortly. I wanted to be at that point by the end of September....may yet happen. Maybe not.

Depends on a few things going right. If they do, I might actually get to the point where I can install the carbs and try to start it using a remote tank. That would be awesome....but I'm trying to not rush anything. It isn't like I don't have other bikes to ride in the mean time. There is an endless (seemingly) list of minor things that need doing still. Also, a handful of things that need to be ordered....or machined.....or both.

While it didn't seem like much got done to me, looking at the bigger picture of this build, I have to say I've reached a turning point. The endless parts research is nearly over. Things are going back together rapidly now and that's a good feeling. It (this project) has consumed much of my time and life over the last year plus. I'm ready for the day when I can walk into the garage and decide if I ride it, or one of the others.....sean
redpato likes this.

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
post #1190 of 1211 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2019, 8:13 pm

i had a heap of off cuts of chain left from back in the moto one days, and i saved a heap of did 520vm bits about 24 links long as i have 8 rivet links and a heap of clip links. the chain on minnie is a made up one, but on that i just pushed pins out and re-peened them with the regina tool i have. lasted a long time so far that chain. this time i used the rivet links as you can't buy a 520vm anymore so i figured i'd use them up. first photo shows the result. d'oh. then, to add insult to stupidity, when i fitted another inner link into it i put the rivet link around the other way to all the others, so now i have an obvious rivet link next to a clip link (it's only a 400, how bad can it be). and the ek tool i use now i think has a slightly larger knob on the peener than the did tool, which i used to use but don't anymore as it seemed a bit too flexible when peening, so it split a couple of the peen ends. overall not as happy a result as i was after.

then i tried to fit the chain and got into a whole new world of front sprocket weirdness. originally this would have had the front sprocket fitted like all the others, flat face out. but with the chain sitting on top of the slider rail (which is what came off the bike) the chain was to the inside of the teeth. swingarm connects to engine, no shimming there, so i thought "that's a bit fucking odd". spun the sprocket around and same, but other way. so i was really going down a rabbit hole. then i remembered that a few years ago i cleaned wayne gardner enterprises out of the last of the "centre" offset m900ie pbr front sprockets they had (only 14 teeth) and what i needed now appeared to be a centre offset with 14 teeth, so into the parts shelf and out with said and on the bike. photo 2. happy days! so then the chain was on, and i could put the front sprocket cover, rear hugger and little chain guard bit on and that got a few more placky bits out of the tub.

figured the rear caliper needed to go before the hugger, and i had both calipers soaking in a bucket of water and detergent for a few days followed by a good scrub, which got rid of some of the grime on the front and made the rear nice, but when i fitted it with nicely replated screws the half screws looked shit. i had a heap of extra screws plated jic, and turns out i had some of the right length for the calipers. really helps make an old caliper look nice again.

so i'm getting closer. baby steps, but steps in the right direction. still undecided about paint. it needs to be painted - i think the front fairing is the only non shit repainted original panel on it, and the repalecment tanks i have both either have small dents of scuffs. leaning towards senna/st2 silver with original style decals in black/gold instead of gold/silver, if that makes sense. i have some sort of euro brand single seat for it - lower top than the sl seat - that i got cheap from rudi in the netherlands, so i'll get it all done so i can swap as needed.

it's a lot of work for a bike i really don't want, and have invested waaaaaaay too much in. i've got two monster projects to get into once this turd is done, and both of them are far more exciting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	029.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	2.46 MB
ID:	954847   Click image for larger version

Name:	026.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	954849   Click image for larger version

Name:	030.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	954851   Click image for larger version

Name:	033.JPG
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	954853   Click image for larger version

Name:	034.JPG
Size:	3.42 MB
ID:	954855  

Dukerdr likes this.

know all wanker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode