What have you done to/with your SS today? - Page 10 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 1181 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2014, 2:57 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by potshot View Post

Speaking of the link, holy crap, that exhaust on page two!!!
+1

New exhaust is way down on the priority list, but I like to keep the wish list current

2007 GT1000
2003 DS1000 SuperSport

Last edited by Coconut; Oct 2nd, 2014 at 3:06 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1181 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2014, 3:05 pm

Looked longingly as I walked by it to hop in my cage for my commute to work.
post #93 of 1181 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2014, 5:57 pm
Average Weird Guy.

Garage
This doesn't exactly fall into the "What have you done to your SS today" category Potshot,it's more like the "What did you try to do to your SS today" category.

For quite some time now I've been saving my pennies,had my heart set on picking me up a set of brand spankin' new bright gold Carrozzeria V-Track rims for my '95. Finally saved up enough cash and placed my order for the rims on Monday.

Got a call today after work from the shop where I ordered my rims. The gal on the line informed me that Carrozzeria V-Track rims for the Ducati 900SS have been discontinued and are no longer available. Ah Crap!

Kinda bummed right now but the shop immediately refunded my money so I guess it's time to start forming a Plan B.

'95 900SS CR affectionately known as "The Pizza Wagon"

post #94 of 1181 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2014, 6:08 pm

Hey Stosh, there's always OZ forged aluminum or mag. Or for a few more pennies (well, lots more), BSTs. You could paint the BST center gold like on the NCR Nue Blue

1998 SS FE #194
2005 749R #362
2006 999 S
post #95 of 1181 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2014, 10:55 pm
Average Weird Guy.

Garage
The BST's are cool but they're outta my price range Mike. The rear rim alone costs about as much as a good set of forged Aluminum rims.

The OZ Racing Piega's are nice too and it appears that they're offered in the anodized gold finish that I'm looking for,but the thing is it seems like everybody uses them on their 900SS.

I wanted to do something different and I'm partial to that 5 Y-spoke pattern used on the Carrozzeria rims. The only other wheel manufacturer that I've found that uses the 5 Y-spoke pattern is Marchesini.

Webike in Japan does offer the Marchesini M10S Kompe-EVO rims with that 5 Y-spoke pattern for my '95 900SS,but the problem is they only offer them in gold metallic finish and not the anodized gold finish that I want.

Another problem with both the Marchesini's and the OZ Racing Piega's is that they use a 5 bolt pattern for the rear drive sprocket instead of the stock 6 bolt pattern which means you're now stuck with a limited selection of sprockets/sprocket suppliers.

I intended to use a Supersprox rear sprocket with a red inner carrier and black sprocket coupled with a red EK MVXZ drive chain. Supersprox does offer 5 bolt pattern rear sprockets for both the Marchesini and OZ Racing rims,but the problem here is I want to use a 36 tooth rear sprocket and the smallest size they offer for these two rims is a 39 tooth.

The C,M,and R type Gale Speed rims and the 7 spoke Marchesini M7RS Genesi rims that Webike also offers don't do much for me.

So I guess at this point Mike it looks like my options are either get the Marchesini M10S Kompe-EVO's (which cost more than the OZ Racing Piega's plus the cost of shipping from Japan) with the 5 Y-spoke pattern (which I really want) in the gold metallic finish (which I don't like) and use the 39 tooth Supersprox rear sprocket (which I don't want to use).

Or get the OZ Racing Piega's (which cost less than the Marchesini's and come with free shipping from Motowheels) in the straight 5 spoke pattern (which I'm not partial to) in the anodized gold finish (which I really want) and use the 39 tooth Supersprox rear sprocket (which I don't want to use).

I'd have to accept compromises from either of the two sets of rims that I have to choose from here. I'm on the fence and leaning towards the Marchesini's only because they have the 5 Y-spoke pattern that I want,but the OZ Racing Piega's come in the anodized gold finish that I'm looking for and they cost less.

At the moment the question is which set of these rims is the lesser of the two evils because neither set is exactly what I want.

Man I hate having to go to Plan B,might just be stuck with my heavy 3 spoke stockers.

'95 900SS CR affectionately known as "The Pizza Wagon"
post #96 of 1181 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2014, 3:53 am

In August 13 I bought a whole heap of bits for my SS. They had a birthday sitting in the bottom of my toolbox.

I bought new 15 front sprocket, 41 rear sprocket, new chain, clutch pack, Ducabike slipper and various orings/filters.

Three weeks ago I finally stripped the bike down and removed the swing arm as there were some cracks below the shock mount and a chain rub in the upper hoop. This was sent off to a mate who can TIG weld the repairs. It was then sent to the clear powder coated to make it look pretty again. Could not annodise because of all the steel wellnuts would need to be punched out and 4 more holes drilled and welded to remove the rattling parts.

Same mate lightened the flywheel. Before 2.3kg with sprag set up. after 1.5.

Over the last few days it has gone back together.

I tend to be good at assembling sections then realising I needed to put part Y in there beforehand, disassemble and do it all over again. To this stage I have done it slowly enough to not bugger this up.

Finally got it almost together, just the air filter and fairings to go.. Time to start it.

hmmm.. Hear the pump relay clicking but no pump whirrr.

Oh so close. At least this let me build oil pressure through the system and check of leaks (flywheel cover).

Still have to adjust the belts, fit the air filter and change the plugs.

Ok that albout all that has happened in the past 3 years. I think 4 years ago I put some tyres on it. Even the fuel had turned to varnish. I suspect this has stuck up the pump.

Now I get to strip the tank I guess. New thread coming.

insert witty comments here...
post #97 of 1181 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2014, 11:56 am

Hey Stosh - I get it re the Y-spoke pattern. I like 'em too. Best of luck with your search!

1998 SS FE #194
2005 749R #362
2006 999 S
post #98 of 1181 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2014, 12:26 pm Thread Starter

Interesting info on the rims. I just picked up a set of cast magnesium Marchesinis (waiting for them to arrive) and I was wondering if the NIB Supersprox that I picked up for my stock rims were going to fit. Looks like I may need to see if they'll do a return/trade for me.

1993 900SS
1986 GSXRs, E30s
post #99 of 1181 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2014, 10:57 pm
Señor Member

Today I fit the replacement panels to the bike. When I took it apart after my accident it didn't look like there was too much underlying damage. In fitting the new panels I found the front panel frame was tweaked and cracked in a couple of places. Required a couple of small welds and bending of the frames to get things to line up. Next up is getting a paint estimate and ordering a few replacement parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rebuild 1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	829.9 KB
ID:	454937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rebuild 2.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	788.1 KB
ID:	454945  

1996 900 SS/SP #C25
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Special
2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT
post #100 of 1181 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2014, 8:32 am

I started my winter rebuild project by ordering some 94mm Pistals. I'm just gathering parts at this point. I'll likely drop the engine in a month or so.

1998 SS FE #194
2005 749R #362
2006 999 S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode