$8k, Starter, I Don't Get It . . . - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 9:50 pm Thread Starter

$8k, Starter, I Don't Get It . . .

I was reading the thread - $8k for a '007 800SS a good deal or not - and again there is all this speak of this bike being such a great 'starter' bike. I'm just not getting it. I've been riding motorcycles for over 30 years (rode before I drove, so keep the old-man jokes to a minimum) and I bought a 2006 800SS.

I ride not only with other Ducatisti, but a Busa AND a ZX-14 almost every weekend (in the summer-time, anyway - snow sucks!). I can't remember one time when they had to wait up for me. Not at all ! ! !

I think the only bike I'd rather have right now might be the 848. But, that didn't exist when I bought mine almost two years ago.

Now, I've ridden the Busa and some other liter bikes and that extra power IS nice to have. But, since I'm not on the track, and I'm not specifically into seeing just how fast I can go in a straight line, I've got to say, I love my bike and like I said, excepting the 848, there's nothing else I'd rather ride - period!

Call me a wimp but that's my take and I'm sticking to it.

'06 Supersport i.e.
Desmodue 800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 9:54 pm

No arguments from me! I agree that it is "enough" power. But there is the world of superbikes out there and the japanese companies don't distinguish superbike from supersport very well. Their supersport IS their superbike. So I think some of us who eventually want to ride around on a superbike, feel the supersport is the perfect stepping stone.

I completely see your point though and it is a good one! Very valid!
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:22 pm

I was not trying to imply that the SS was a good starter bike, just that it is a good 'starter Ducati.' Since this is my first ducati, I think that it is an incredible machine.

This is after having ridden for the past 9 years of course. I would not recommend it as a learner bike / Starter bike for a novice.

I do agree with you about the 848. After having ridden the Supersport, I could no longer justify the near double price tag of a new 848 at this time.

The supersport is as aggressive a bike that I have ever been on, and has more power than I will ever need. Shoot, I have not even had a need to get beyond 4th gear while riding around town since i picked it up.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:24 pm

At age 54, I bought my first motorcycle - an SS800. Bought in on ebay for $5,700 w/5,700 miles. I've waffled back and forth between wanting to go bigger or be satisfied with what I've got. Like the previous writer, the 848 has me drooling and I'd love to move up to that. But something about the SS has grabbed me. Ever since I got mine I've been watching for an SS1000 and finally found one. The deal should go down this week and I expect to be very happy.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 9:18 am

The only thing that really bothers me, is the lack of aftermarket support for the SS. Everything is 749,999,848 and 1098. Even the Monster and Hypermotard have more aftermarket support than the SS. That aspect of it bothers me a bit, which will eventually be one of the main reasons I will shift over to one of the superbikes. It won't be just for power.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 9:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tminus3 View Post
The only thing that really bothers me, is the lack of aftermarket support for the SS. Everything is 749,999,848 and 1098. Even the Monster and Hypermotard have more aftermarket support than the SS. That aspect of it bothers me a bit, which will eventually be one of the main reasons I will shift over to one of the superbikes. It won't be just for power.
That is an excellent point. I am tired of talking to dealers, vendors etc asking "will that work on my SS?". From levers to sprockets to carbon fiber bling the amount of aftermarket stuff is really minimal at best. Shame, but it's still a fun bike.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 10:15 am

Looks like Robert thought the 800 was the poster's first bike, not his first Ducati.

The point is well taken though and has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads. I am definitely in the camp that thinks the SS is not a good starter for most people. It's not so much the power, more that (at least to me), the SS is technically more demanding to ride than Japanese bikes of similar performance. Which is, of course, precisely why experienced riders like them so much.

2006 800ss (Sold)
2007 Bonneville Black
2008 Hayabusa
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 11:19 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by majbuzz View Post
That is an excellent point. I am tired of talking to dealers, vendors etc asking "will that work on my SS?". From levers to sprockets to carbon fiber bling the amount of aftermarket stuff is really minimal at best. Shame, but it's still a fun bike.
Could not agree more, unfortunately.

'06 Supersport i.e.
Desmodue 800
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 11:21 am

Critterdoc nailed it! The SS makes you think about what you are doing and why you are doing it...but its forgiving enough that if you do make a mistake it won't make you pay like an 848 or 1098.

Its a lot of work to keep up with some bikes on the straights, but then again they have to work just as hard to keep it together on the curves!

On a side note, I got my Pazzo shorties today and will be sporting them this afternoon. Kuddos to Sean!!!
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 2:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tminus3 View Post
On a side note, I got my Pazzo shorties today and will be sporting them this afternoon. Kuddos to Sean!!!
By "shorties" I assume you got the short clutch lever too?

If so, I suspect that you may regret it. 2 fingers is all you need for the brake, but the clutch? That'd get old in a hurry.

2006 800ss (Sold)
2007 Bonneville Black
2008 Hayabusa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode