$8k, Starter, I Don't Get It . . . - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2008, 6:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmax View Post
I've ridden a few quick jap bikes and end up thinking wow so much top end power. But I get back on the SS and get on the throttle out of a few corners aggressive and I am again convinced its not top end power that gives me a buzz its the way I can get on the power early and aggressive on the SS and really get an adrenalin rush, perfect for the street I'd say whatever level rider you are.

Carb'd 900SS is perfection ...
I've enjoyed my 900 for ... um... 142 miles now. It rides rough but has power delivery like my DRZ - ready for use anywhere. It's very tolerant of a heavy hand and the engine is nice. But my Honda would whup it everywhere but in the city. Once I get the suspension sorted: I suspect it'll make a great compromise between my CBR and my DRZ.

But I do miss the rush of the CBR when I'm on the Duc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2008, 6:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikedlemon View Post
I've enjoyed my 900 for ... um... 142 miles now. It rides rough but has power delivery like my DRZ - ready for use anywhere. It's very tolerant of a heavy hand and the engine is nice. But my Honda would whup it everywhere but in the city. Once I get the suspension sorted: I suspect it'll make a great compromise between my CBR and my DRZ.

But I do miss the rush of the CBR when I'm on the Duc.
Quote:
But I do miss the rush of the CBR when I'm on the Duc
no offense, but you mean the rush of your CBR/R1/GSXR/ZX? They all feel the same. They are so ubiquitous.

Quote:
But my Honda would whup it everywhere but in the city.
You said your CBR would whoop up up anywhere but in the city? I am confused, the city is the WORST splace for a Ducati???

I am glad you are riding one, just consfused?

2000 900SS i.e, red!
1999 900SS/CR, red!
1987 FJ1200
1986 FZ750
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2008, 8:16 pm

Really? The Duck is great around town. Pulls away cleanly at lights, putters along nicely with traffic and can pull away in any gear at any RPM.The Honda is high speed material. No bottom end and a mad rush up top. Each inline 4 has its own character; they're great!

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2008, 2:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzen View Post
no offense, but you mean the rush of your CBR/R1/GSXR/ZX? They all feel the same. They are so ubiquitous.
I find quotes like these very interesting and quite typical of most of the members here.

I cut my teeth on Japanese bikes and loved them all. No two of them were alike and I had many.

I made the mistake a few weeks ago of test riding the 2008 busa and had to have one (pic below) to join Lola in the garage. I rode the Kawasaki ZX14 too at the same dealership. The two bikes were as different as they could be to ride.

I have since joined 2 busa forums and ALL they talk about is speed and power and how to increase both. Strangely, not a single member of either forum has run down another manufacturer's product. A bit of light-hearted ZX14 teasing is about it.

I love my SS, but in comparison to the busa she is rough, jittery, and sloooow (although prettier, easier to work on, and way more flickable to be sure).

You wanna stick to one manufacturer and run down all the bikes made by an entire country that's your privilege. But you're missing out on a whole lot of good clean fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	busa1reduced.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	415.0 KB
ID:	29582  

2006 800ss (Sold)
2007 Bonneville Black
2008 Hayabusa
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2008, 2:45 pm
Chilehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikedlemon View Post
Really? The Duck is great around town. Pulls away cleanly at lights, putters along nicely with traffic and can pull away in any gear at any RPM.The Honda is high speed material. No bottom end and a mad rush up top. Each inline 4 has its own character; they're great!
I disagree, at least as concerns the SS (and my ST2).

The only Ducati I own or have ridden that isn't a total PIA around town is my 999R. My SS and ST2 both suck at constant speed. My LeMans is far better than either, it's a toss up if it or the 999R is better.

Last week I rode a 1098R and a HM1100S. The 1098R was actually of the better of the two at slow speeds (actually, at any speed). I Spent an hour and a half on an 848 at lunchtime, it also sucked at low speeds, though this was mainly due to the crappy low end torque of the smaller motor combined with the OEM gearing.

Tom

1985 LeMans
1986 LeMans w/ sidecar
1992 XV250
1998 ST2
2003 SS1000DS
2003 999R #29

www.motogiro.com

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2008, 3:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by st2lemans View Post
The only Ducati I own or have ridden that isn't a total PIA around town is my 999R. My SS and ST2 both suck at constant speed.
+1

I have to say the SS is NOT a great all rounder. On hairpin bends with perfect surfaces I'd take the SS over anything I have ridden for pure fun, but both the Busa and the Bonnie are much better at slower speeds and the uneven road surfaces of Texas.

We're gonna have to watch this Tom. That's twice in one day we agree mate.

Now...About getting those bikes of yours painted...!

2006 800ss (Sold)
2007 Bonneville Black
2008 Hayabusa
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2008, 1:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by critterdoc View Post
+1

I have to say the SS is NOT a great all rounder. On hairpin bends with perfect surfaces I'd take the SS over anything I have ridden for pure fun, but both the Busa and the Bonnie are much better at slower speeds and the uneven road surfaces of Texas.

We're gonna have to watch this Tom. That's twice in one day we agree mate.

Now...About getting those bikes of yours painted...!
+1 Doc. Actually the 1970 Bonneville is by far the best around town bike I have. I rode it today after a short 955 blast. It is a blast by the way though, even if it did develop an oil leak somewhere around the timing case within 100 miles after I bought it

My SS is a GREAT back road bike, but even with the Keihins and coils not as good around town. But that's not why I bought it either. Front side of Palomar is all smiles. S22 too for that matter.

1992 Ducati 900 SS, 2004 BMW R1100S, 1978 BMW R100RS, 1996 Ducati 955SP (sold in a moment of stupidity)
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2008, 7:16 pm

Lightbulb

All reasons why I turn down all offers to ride my mates Jap bikes these days ... the SS is my bike and the only bike I want, I ride it everyday and in all weather conditions and I am happy to take her for all her good and her bad points, none of which worry me in the slightest whether in slow traffic or the open road.

I was actually out yesterday enjoying a coffee at a big Suzuki dealer and for all the bikes sitting around between the new bikes for sale and the customised bikes including an ugly fat turbo'd 'Busa I am just not interested, they'll all just be old Jap bikes in a few years ... the pick of the Jap bikes around was my mates '85 GSX-R I'd have that over all the new stuff ...

Happiness with a bike is a state of mind ...

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright red, hunchback, warp-speed 900cc café racer is one of them -- but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one" Hunter S. Thompson

Bikes:
1994 900 Supersport R.I.P.
1997 900 Supersport
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2008, 7:38 pm

Quote:
Happiness with a bike is a state of mind ...
That is well put. To each their own and enjoy what you like. I am tired of folks worrying about what others think... like what you want and ignore what others have to say about it.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2008, 8:09 pm

Quote:
All reasons why I turn down all offers to ride my mates Jap bikes these days ... the SS is my bike and the only bike I want
Now THAT is eloquence itself.

I have never heard the very definition of lack of sophistication, ignorance, narrow-mindedness, and xenophobia so succinctly put before.

Bravo.

Personally, I'll keep experiencing every motorcycle I can, of every type I can, from every country I can. And I'll buy every one I can afford and find time to ride.

2006 800ss (Sold)
2007 Bonneville Black
2008 Hayabusa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode