post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 6:49 pm

Best $8K you'll ever spend!

2006 800ss (Sold)
2007 Bonneville Black
2008 Hayabusa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 7:15 pm Thread Starter

While I had the bike idling getting it ready to strap it down, a guy on a big BMW 1200 rode up and was watching. He couldnt believe the sound from the Termis, said it sounded like a Harley (which it kinda does)

I Still cant believe the sound that the bike creates. Hitting right about 4k RPMs feeling your entire body vibrating from the exhaust is pretty sweet.

It's great being able to ride again after not having a bike for the past 2 months as well.

BTW Critterdoc, did I read somewhere that you upped your REAR sprocket teeth count? I believe you said up to 41?

I'm still getting used to the twins choppiness at low RPMs / Speed and I was just curious if upping the teeth count 1 or 2 would help it out some?

I read on the sprocket that is on mine now that it is 39 teeth, and I believe that they are 6mm.

Anyways, i'm sure the info is posted somewhere on the forum, I was just curious.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:03 pm

Congrats me3260! Yeah man you have a sweet bike now and just enjoy every minute of it. Its special riding a Ducati. You get some strange looks, some curious looks, and some jealous looks. No knock on GSXRs and CBRs, but everybody has one. Even being the lowest on the "sport bike" totem pole in Ducati, it looks more exotic than the best offering any Hon/Kaw/Yam/Suz dealer can offer at the moment.

That Termi sound becomes addicting...everybody in my subdivision tells me they can hear me thundering away out of the division. I went to a Suzuki dealership with my neighbor a few days ago...and I had a crowd around my bike... they wanted to hear it. So I started it up and every one of them had a smile on their face. And after I came back inside the dealership, I had a line of guys just wanting to talk about the "first" time they heard that sound. LOL Enjoy your bike and be safe. And don't forget with 70 HP...there is plenty of road out there for WOT! =-)

'06 Ducati Supersport 800

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 6:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by me3260 View Post
BTW Critterdoc, did I read somewhere that you upped your REAR sprocket teeth count? I believe you said up to 41?
Most riders find the 800 geared way too high, causing a lot of shudder at low rev acceleration and difficulty taking off.

I went up to 43 teeth on the back which was the cheapest and best modification I have made to the bike. MUCH smoother and easier to ride now.

Similar results can be achieved going down to 14 teeth on the front, but I could not find a sprocket that fit properly.

2006 800ss (Sold)
2007 Bonneville Black
2008 Hayabusa
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 5:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by critterdoc View Post
Most riders find the 800 geared way too high, causing a lot of shudder at low rev acceleration and difficulty taking off.

I went up to 43 teeth on the back which was the cheapest and best modification I have made to the bike. MUCH smoother and easier to ride now.

Similar results can be achieved going down to 14 teeth on the front, but I could not find a sprocket that fit properly.

Wow, 43 teeth ok. I got ahold of the Ducati Accesories catalog when I bought my bike, and they have a listing in there for up to a 41 tooth 6 mm rear sprocket (I will check to be certain when i get home). I believe they are called Alloy something, and cost about $76 from the dealership. Would this one be as good as any as far a quality? (They are stamped Ducati Performance) or should I attempt to search for an aftermarket rear sproket?

Also, I have never messed with a chain before myself, is changing a sprocket something that can be achieved at home? or is it a very complicated ordeal?

I have a fair amount of tools and experience working on cars, just not so much on bikes.

07 800 Supersport - Termignoni Exhaust, High Flow air filter + box
Evoluzione FE kit, Clear Alt. LED Brake + Turn
Signal kit

Greetings from Gator Country!
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 7:16 pm

http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/ca...ear%20sprocket

Great blokes to buy from and I'd always try them first for everything.

Sprocket change is a piece of cake, but you will need a rear stand (a good thing to have anyway if you plan to do your own maintenance).

You may or may not need a new chain depending on how much room you have left on the adjuster. My bike was close to brand new when I changed the sprocket and I did not need to change the chain.

I have not changed the front sprocket, but I understand it is even easier than the rear.

2006 800ss (Sold)
2007 Bonneville Black
2008 Hayabusa

Last edited by critterdoc; Mar 3rd, 2008 at 7:28 pm.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 7:32 pm

Sean, I have a 41T on mine. I never tried it anyother way, but for some reason I still feel first gear is a bit unusable. I wonder if I should up to a 43T too.

'06 Ducati Supersport 800
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 9:13 pm Thread Starter

WEll my bike has just passed 800 miles tonight, but my slack adjuster is set right at half way on the marker lines.

Checking in the Ducati Performance catalog, their sprockets are called Light alloy rear sprockets that go up to 41 teeth for a 520 pitch chain.

So just to clarify Critter, you have the Afam steel 520 pitch 43 tooth correct?

With mine set up at 39t right now, anything below about 25 mph I have to be in first gear, and it is down right boggy untill I get up to above about 10mph. Since I still have low miles, I usually run 1st gear up to about 25 mph, then second gear will get me to 55 before hitting 6k RPM. Ideally, what I am looking for is being able to putter around a neighborhood / campus at around 15-20 mph without either having 1st gear sound like its wound out, or spitting and putter in 2nd gear becuase my RPMs are below 3k.

But you are right Critter, first thing is to get a rear stand. I think im gonna order the handy stands that you have, seems like a good deal.

I have never seen any one else mention it either, but I just dont trust the kickstand on my SS. It seems awefully flimsy for such a bike /shrug Maybe im just used to my old honda.

Signal kit

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 9:31 pm

And so it begins...

2006 800ss (Sold)
2007 Bonneville Black
2008 Hayabusa
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 9:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by critterdoc View Post
And so it begins...
LoL. Heck yeah. I already got some brand new Laser Cut Iridium plugs coming from NGKs factory, and a few spare oil filters on the way.

I just cant wait for day light savings so that I will at least have an hour or so of daylight after work to ride!

Signal kit

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode