Spaghetti source - Page 28 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #271 of 287 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 4:42 pm

Location: Det er bedre med en Dram i timen enn en time i Drammen, , No (r) Way
Garage
45mm system up on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192405625743?ul_noapp=true
Daniel Gunnarsson likes this.

1997 900SS; 1997 916SPS (#296); 2001 996R (Unnumbered)
The mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 287 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2017, 2:03 pm

Fwiw, there's one listed here too...

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/129-part...l-exhaust.html
potshot likes this.

1998 SS FE #194
2005 749R #362
2006 999 S
post #273 of 287 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 2017, 4:13 am

I've never worked out why such a well-made system from a desirable manufacturer appears to have the final pipe joint around the wrong way. To me, the downstream pipe should be external to the upstream pipe.

'95 900 SS - one day a Caf Racer!

post #274 of 287 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2017, 8:31 pm

pipe orientation

NOw ya gone and done it...I wont be able to get that offf my mind now
Mike S

Mike S
1996 900SSCR
2012 Ducati Street Fighter
2003 ST4S W/ABS for sale
post #275 of 287 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2017, 10:41 am

45mm sill exhaUST

Is there someone here that can tell me if the exhaust will accept Termio or D&D exhaust that fit the stock exhaust?
I have Termis and D&D ...I am interested in the pipes but want to know if they fit what I have or if I need specific exhaust cans for the Sill

Mike S
1996 900SSCR
2012 Ducati Street Fighter
2003 ST4S W/ABS for sale
post #276 of 287 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2017, 12:25 pm

Greetings, I've got a full 50mm Akrapovic spaghetti titanium system on my 98 FE , love it ! Put it on when I purchased the bike new in 98 , and personally haven't ever seen another one like it, no fitment problems.
At that time,I think Termi was the only other one doing the full spaghetti and those were limited as I remember. Mine has a real nice tone/sound and not as loud (or too loud) as a lot of the other cans.

It also works excellent with the big bore 944 kit /Kehin 39's and extra internal engine work... goodies like marchesini mags/ohlins/ etc don't hurt either , a sweet package I've enjoyed for 20 years and 8400 miles.. unfortunately,
in my old "retirement" age I just can't ride very far without a lot of aches and pains ,so am going to let her go to a new home, and guess put it on the market (can't advertise here yet as I don't have enough posts I think)
And I just pulled the trigger on a new Multi this month , that should ease my "pain" and will give me something to look forward to as the weather improves , and snow melts <sigh>
but I did roll the new red multi out of the garage and into some snow for a few pics ...it did look very "Christmasy "
cheers
post #277 of 287 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 2017, 7:13 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducoddy-SS View Post
Is there someone here that can tell me if the exhaust will accept Termio or D&D exhaust that fit the stock exhaust?
I have Termis and D&D ...I am interested in the pipes but want to know if they fit what I have or if I need specific exhaust cans for the Sill
The SilMoto (SMI) exhaust is compatible with the OEM system. So the SMI slipons will fit the OEM headers, and the OEM cans will fit onto the SMI headers - so you shouldn't have any trouble with your Termis.

'95 900 Superlight IV #064

Mods are: K&N filter, airbox lid on with rubber trumpets removed, MBP collets, full SMI (SilMoto Italia) spaghetti exhaust with 'open' carbon cans, 41mm FCR's - #182 mains!, Barnett alloy clutch basket, Oberon slave cylinder, Ohlins fork springs, Ohlins rear shock, Verlicchi swingarm.
post #278 of 287 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2018, 2:04 pm

Some stuff I wrote for a a friend of mine....

My 2 into 1 on the Frankencati works pretty well and has now been copied on about 6 or 7 bikes on this forum all with good feed back. While not developed/tested on the dyno like my bucket pipes I think It works pretty well.

4 stroke exhaust design is much simpler than 2 stroke design because you are not having to concern yourself with creating back pressure. In a a four stroke design the only back pressure consideration is t have as little of it as possible!

Four stroke exhaust are optimised for extraction effect, where one cylinder's low pressure wave in it's header helps create a well timed low pressure point to help suck out the gases from another cylinder just as the exhaust valves in the other cylinder opens.

In a typical exhaust system there will be several low pressure waves reflected back to the exhaust valves. The first one will be where the first inter-conection point between headers occur. There will also be a reflection from each point the exhaust diameter changes, such as the entry to the muffler and also a reflection point from the exit of the slip-on to the big wide world. Multiple reflections like this mean that you have the extraction effect happening across a number of rev points.

A small difference in length to these reflection points will shift the revs at which extraction occurs. Easy to see this on a dyno with a single cylinder bike if you make a long header and then just cut 25 mm off it in between dyno runs and observe the shape of the torque and hp curve shift. I observed this, and a similar, but even more pronounced effect when I lengthened and shortened the inlet tract on my bucket with my variable inlet length tract set up (especially if I altered the jetting to suit each length.)

On a bike where you want to create maximum power at shorter revs you need to have the reflection points closer to the exhaust valves.

With an even firing 4 cylinder or parallel twin it is easy to create an inter-cylinder extraction effect on all cylinders.

With a even firing 4 cylinder the interconnection (crossover or merge) points for inter-cylinder extraction are quite close to the exhaust valves as the firing intervals between the cylinders is much less (half) that of an even firing twin cylinder engine and this makes the packaging on a four cylinder bike easier to achieve. If you look at a modern high revving Japanese 4 cylinder bike, you will see the merge points are on the down pipes quite close to the exhaust valves.

All else being equal on an EVEN firing 2 cylinder the merge points will be twice as far from the exhaust valves. If you look on a parrallel even firing twin cylinder bike, the first merge/cross over point will typically be under the engine comparatively quite a long way from the exhaust valves.

HOWEVER with the uneven 270 and 450 firing interval on a V-twin Ducati you can't create a inter cylinder extraction effect to BOTH cylinders with equal length headers of course.

Here is the thinking I went through when I designed the Frankencati 2 in to 1 system....

On a Ducati twin with it's uneven firing interval you could create a milder extraction effect to BOTH cylinders with two interconnections (A merge and an earlier interconnection pipe for example each timed to suit the firing interval to the other cylinder) and it appears that Akrapovic did attempt exactly this on one of their exhaust systems for the earlier air cooled Multistrada. (Search the internet and you will find pics of this system.)

While it is not simple to create an inter-cylinder extractor effect for BOTH cylinders to suit the Ducati uneven firing order, you can tune the length of the headers so that the low pressure wave reflected back from the end of each header would help extract gases from it's own cylinder (self-cylinder extraction as opposed to inter-cylinder extraction, for want of better terms). When I looked at doing this, the calculations suggested the length of the headers need to be quite long to achieve this at the revs of interest and packaging long enough headers on a V-Twin Ducati to achieve this is problematic. For this reason I made the headers on my 2 into 1 as long as possible. If I still had ready access to a dyno I would be keen to make up a few variations and test them back to back on the dyno as I did with my bucket pipes.

Everything is just theory and pub talk unless you make multiple variations and test and measure on the dyno.

I tested 9 exhaust variations of design and lengths on my bucket before settling on the current pipe...and now I am changing the cams which will change the valve timing so I will need to go and make up some more exhausts to test to optimises for the new cam timing.

The overriding reason in the end that I opted for a two into one system for the Frankencati is that the one clear and irrefutable advantage of a two into one system is that you save a lot of weight!
DesmoDog likes this.

Liam Venter,
FastBikeGear
post #279 of 287 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2018, 11:14 am

Location: Det er bedre med en Dram i timen enn en time i Drammen, , No (r) Way
Garage
Only one day left...!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162908038098?ul_noapp=true

Not my ad but a good one for someone needing one!!
Daniel Gunnarsson likes this.

1997 900SS; 1997 916SPS (#296); 2001 996R (Unnumbered)
The mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer
post #280 of 287 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2018, 12:10 am

Will interesting to see how high the price goes 'cos atm the cans are $1,400 AUD and the headers, if available (none in stock) are $1,500, so rare as hen's teeth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode