Spaghetti source - Page 17 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #161 of 287 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2012, 12:16 pm

Do you guys think there's still a market for these things? And if so, what do you think folks would be willing to pay?

I'm frustrated with the lack of exhausts out there for my bike (900SS/CR) and have recruited a race fabricator buddy of mine (used to be a header fabricator for NHRA funny car team, now a header fabricator for a Cup team, specializes in Ti, stainless, and some new variety of stainless that I'd never heard of - did you know a set of headers for a Cup car is $8,000? I digress) to take some measurements off of an old Staintune and build me one using sections like the works/factory bikes.

I don't know what the benefit of the spaghetti stuff is but I trust his expertise on exhaust backpressure, scavenging, etc, and we'll use my bike for tuning. It's always seemed to me that a clean, simple crossover would be a better approach to increasing cornering clearance and that the Hindle method of wrapping up behind the engine in the swingarm space ahead of the wheel was pretty slick, but there must be some logic behind the complex connectors.

At any rate, I'll keep you posted and provide pics once we've got a mock-up done.

'94 900SS/CR 944
'07 Gas Gas 300 Raga
'80 Yamaha SR500 brat/bobber thing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 287 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2012, 3:42 pm

Spark Exhausts in Italy SPARK still make spaghetti exhausts for some models of air cooled Ducati. They have a very modern manufacturing plant and they are run by switched on people. Their workmanship is phenomenal right up their with Yoshi and Akrapovic!

The poor quality photos on the their web site do not do their pipes justice!
post #163 of 287 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2012, 5:37 pm

Awful website, but interesting products!

post #164 of 287 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2012, 7:01 pm

Interest? Yes and no.

The fact this thread is 17 pages long seems to indicate a strong interest in new headers for SuperSports, spaghetti or otherwise. But, expressing interest and putting money down are two very different things. It's a pretty niche product that only a handful would actually pay for I suspect.

I, for example, am interested. But, since my bike runs well as it currently stands, I probably wouldn't spend more than a few hundred dollars on a spaghetti header. I keep hoping I find one at a garage sale. Interest level high. Commitment to one low.

That said, your buddy is taking measurements off an old Staintune, which I would probably pay at least a hundred dollars plus a bit for since their appearance is so well-finished and refined. Of course, if it's a Staintune spaghetti header, instead of a normal header, doesn't that open up a new can of worms regarding slip-on size?

I know we all need parts, but there are fewer and fewer of us each year.
post #165 of 287 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2012, 2:32 am

Garage
Sil Moto Italia (SMI)

Are they still in operation? The website seems to have vanished, and there's not much reference to them at most dealers...

Shame, because they made some nice systems.

Nick ^^^^ - If you think your bike feels OK, you HAVE to try one with a full spaghetti system and 41mm FCR's. Turns it into a WHOLE new bike! My only regret about my system is that I hadn't done the job years earlier! Add in an alloy clutch basket (I fitted a Barnett unit), and the engine spins up faster as well.

'95 900 Superlight IV #064

Mods are: K&N filter, airbox lid on with rubber trumpets removed, MBP collets, full SMI (SilMoto Italia) spaghetti exhaust with 'open' carbon cans, 41mm FCR's - #182 mains!, Barnett alloy clutch basket, Oberon slave cylinder, Ohlins fork springs, Ohlins rear shock, Verlicchi swingarm.
post #166 of 287 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2012, 11:23 am

A spaghetti/staintune header is way out of my budget, but I understand the benefits of getting rid of the stock x pipe so I cut up another exhaust and bought some 1" stainless tube for the blend pipes and now I have my own! Sounds great, runs great, cost me $15. Ill probably grind down the welds as they arent the prettiest and polish the whole thing later this winter when I rebuild the rest of the bike. I also plan on using the competition werkes gp mufflers.

post #167 of 287 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2012, 3:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinlinemoto View Post
A spaghetti/staintune header is way out of my budget, but I understand the benefits of getting rid of the stock x pipe so I cut up another exhaust and bought some 1" stainless tube for the blend pipes and now I have my own! Sounds great, runs great, cost me $15. Ill probably grind down the welds as they arent the prettiest and polish the whole thing later this winter when I rebuild the rest of the bike. I also plan on using the competition werkes gp mufflers.

Twinline that's genius.

'94 900SS/CR 944
'07 Gas Gas 300 Raga
post #168 of 287 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 6:38 am

ThrottleJock, if it were in the say, $500.00-mid $600.00 it would be doable. Anything much over that and it's more than likely not going to interest the majority. I'd be down depending on the price criteria. On the outside edge, $800.00 if it were uber sexy.
post #169 of 287 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 7:15 am

What I was thinking initially is that we'd have two versions, the hand made " works" type sectioned with a zillion beautiful hand welds to make the curves, and we'd make a mandrel bent version of the same design but the curvy bits would be made by a machine, and the various tubing sections welded. The first version would be expensive. The second we could pump out in some volume.

At any rate we'll start by mocking one up on my bike. I'll keep you posted.

'94 900SS/CR 944
'07 Gas Gas 300 Raga
post #170 of 287 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 1:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb64 View Post
Are they still in operation? The website seems to have vanished, and there's not much reference to them at most dealers...

Shame, because they made some nice systems.
Yes Silmoto got a new owner last year. I met them in Italy last year. I think they are getting their manufacturing done overseas now - possibly China. The quality of the products I saw looked very high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode