FBG Frankencati project build. - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2014, 8:18 pm Thread Starter

FBG Frankencati project build.

FBG Frankencati project build.

The FastBikeGear Frakencati project is nearly finished. It's pretty insane to ride. It rides as smoothly as many modern injected bikes (in fact smoother than a 2010 Multistrada I rode recently).

Restraint with things like cams and exhaust pipe header sizing, etc, has been the key to making the engine work very well for a road bike.

Maximum horsepower has not been on the agenda but maximum torque has been! It goes pretty well! Pulls the usual roll on wheelies in 2nd gear and the front can get light in third gear when accellerating over a crest. Best thing is that the instant torque makes it feel like the throttle is directly connected to the back wheel. (feels like a big 2 Stroke but without the peakyness)

It's pretty efficient as well. It easily gets over 320km to a tank if I am cruising before the reserve light comes on.

Yes it would have been easy to make it faster with wild cams and inlet port work (and perhaps larger diameter headers), but the aim was to modernise and update a 900SS and give it a little more pep and handling with better rideability and no shortening of the service intervals - not try and tun it into a Supebike. It's the bike Ducati could have built with a little more money and development.

Due to much lighter weight of rotating parts like wheels, flywheels and clutch components and the odd engine improvement it feels incredibly torquey to ride. Sixth gear roll on acceleration feels like what 4th gear roll on used to feel like.... only smoother. It's fun to just roll on the throttle coming through the corners in top gear and then listen to hear if anyone behind is stepping down a gear to maintain pace. The torque makes it effortless to ride quickly and smoothly.

It would be fair to say that the few people who own other 900SS bikes who have ridden it have been a bit gob smacked, with one riders other 900SS owners comment being, how much? And another saying there is no excuse for not riding that bike very fast....I don't.

It looks pretty standard (other than the exhaust and open clutch) until you start to take a closer look, but as you will see from the following incomplete list we have done the odd tweek to the bike:

It would be fair to say that the few people who own other 900SS bikes who have ridden it have been a bit gob smacked, with one riders other 900SS owners comment being, how much? And another saying there is no excuse for not riding that bike very fast....I don't.

Engine

FBG twin spark heads. (Tighter timing control of flame front - helps with avoiding preignition and better economy and low end torque and smoother low end running)
Mild inlet and exhaust port work. (for better gas flow.)
Slimmed down valve guides (for better gas flow.)
MPB valve collets. (Reduced maintenance in the future and also worried about standard wire half spring collets braking).
3 angled cut valve seats. (for better gas flow.)
Inlet manifolds matched to heads. (for better gas flow.)
J.E, High Compression pistons. (80 grams lighter each, more durable. Extra compression made and incredible difference to torque.)
Smoothed edges around valve pockets on pistons (to aid gas flow).
Mildly reshaped combustion chambers. (just smoothed off sharp edges)
Set Squish to 1mm (raises compression and better fuel air mixing forestall pre-ignition.)
Advanced standard cams to 107 inlet centerline. More bottom end torque supposedly, don't know how much as I made several other changes at the same time)
Keihan 41mm FCRs flat slide carurettors. (Biggest advantage is fuel pump).
MotionPro twin cable thottle mechanism. (required when switching to FCRs)
FBG Lightened flywheel. (From approx 2kg to just under 1 kg – brisker revving)
Full rotaing assembly balance (Pistons, Flywheel, crank and conrods) Engine is very smooth!
Open top airbox. Cut top off standard airbox lid. (Maybe a small performance gain)
K&N Air filter (No real gain I suspect)
Split airbox/battery box plastic (for faster and easier servicing).
NGR slipper clutch (A thing of pure engineering beauty! and works brilliantly as well and is much lighter than a standard clutch)
NGR alloy clutch plates and alloy basket. (Much lighter and quieter).
NGR open clutch basket (better cooling, noiser but looks good – shows off very cool looking NGR slipper clutch).
FBG 2 into 1 exhaust with longer primaries and Spark MotoGP style slipon and 41mm headers. (more rid range torque and sounds incrdible).
NGR reed valve oil breather. (Original started to weep oil).
Oberon EZ pull clutch cylinder. (More reliable and much easeier on hands.)

Electrical

Ignitech Ignition.(smoother running and allowed me to tune timing and coil saturation for other mods)
Hella Throttle Position Sensor linked to 3D map in Ignitech. (Smoother running and a lot more mid throttle punch!)
DynaTech twin plug coils (frame mounted for better cooling and to make room for some other bits in the battery box area – no real gain over any other cheaper brand of twin plug coil).
FBG non latching fail over relay setup to directly feed battery to coils and Ignitech ignition system. (Cleaner and higher voltage supplied to key ignition components).
Set pickups at minimum recommended gap to flywheel (0.6mm). (Massive surprise improvement in running at all revs, occassional idle miss much reduced)
Later replaced original pick up wiring and connectors as I became aware of intermittent issues with these.
Later installed high output pickups (at least we think they are, but haven't checked on an oscillosope - didn't really notice a difference.
Shindengen FH020 Mosfet Regulator much more stable output (Surpised how much better bike seems to run and won't cook batteries. (Old regualtor stuck out 15 volts and cooked previous lead acid battery and I assume Ignitech ignition and coils much prefer new regulator voltage – perhaps less ripple in the output but I have not verified this).
Regulator relocated to battery box with direct feed to battery. (just eaiest place to fit it and bypassess old wiring feed to battery which is reputeably a common cause of failure)
Ultrabatt UB600 battery with inbuilt BMS (360PCA and only 1100 grams!). (I later hacked/modified this battery just to allow me to play with some interesting Battery Management System design ideas I have.)
FBG twin relay wiring loom for headlights. Used eparate relay for hi-beam and low beam for safety reasons. (Got rid of massive voltage drops in old wiring, made headlights much brighter)
Philips extreme headlight bulb. (Headlight now is very bright and works extremely well)
Bikevis Bullets Day Time Running lights. (better visibility ot other motorists)
Heavy duty earth and wiring directly to frame and engine. (brisker cranking on starting)
FBG ultrabright indicator and sidestand flashing warning LEDs fitted to side of dash. (now I get blinded if I leave the side stand down or the indicators on!)

Brakes suspsension wheels

FGB MotoGP style clipons (inline with forks instead of in front of forks and much much lower than standard slipons - yep lower than a Panigales by some margin! -Hated them at first now just love them!).
R&G custom lenght braided lines (Needed to change to custom shorter lines when we made the clipons).
Marvic Penta ll Magnesium wheels. (Insanely light, incredibley willing to change direction now!)
Marvic Magnesium sprocket carrier. (Must be used with Marvic Wheels)
Driven racing alloy rear sprocket 39 Teeth. (Must be used with Marvic sprocket carrier – standard ducati sprocket won't fit)
FBG 25mm hollow front axle kit. (Required to mount Marvic wheels, by product is stiffer front end).
FBG 7075-T6 hard anodised replica Brembo disc carriers. (wore out two of the orginal soft alloy sets at 18,000km each)
Brembo original full floating cast iron discs.
Brembo radial master Cylinder from Ducati 848. (Better brake feel and improved reliability)
Titax reach adjustable racing levers. (Zero flex and better pivot point helped with brake feel – and they look very high tech).
Ducati 999 4P4P calipers with SBS dual carbon race pads (Much better quality calipers, Pads work fine on the street but need a little warming to give their best feel and are supposedly very friendly to cast iron discs).
Brembo 40mm to 60mm caliper mounting adaptor plates.(required to mount later model calipers)
Ohlins rear shock (Set 12mm longer than standard – huge imporvement inwillingness to change direction). Next project is to add a one way valve to the low speed rebound adjuster so it doesn't interfere with compression adjustment.
FBG Andreani front fork race cartridge kit (Seperate rebound and compression in each fork leg) Fitted with FBG modular spacer kit, FBG spring seats, FBG spring guides and Ohlins springs.

Sundry

Removed old mirrors and fitted RockSolid bar end mirrors (Brilliant stable view behind now).
Oberon registration holder. (Looks cool)
Oberon brake and clutch reservoir caps (Old ones looke tatty and these look very good.)
Cut down old tail on bike to make tail tidy (Looks much better).
TUTORO Auto chain oiler. (45,000 km out of MVXZ chain so far!)
EK-MVXZ O ring chain. (see above).
Dual density Progrips

...and quite a few other things that I couldn't remember when I typed this list.

Future possible plans

ST2 cams need to compare dyno charts

www.FastBikeGear.co.nz

https://www.facebook.com/FastBikeGear

Last edited by FastBikeGear; Feb 17th, 2014 at 5:10 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2014, 8:43 pm

Garage
Well... Lets see the pics of all the beautiful details. Please
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2014, 9:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIGHTfortyEIGHT View Post
Well... Lets see the pics of all the beautiful details. Please
Let me know what you want photos of and I will take them for you. ...and I will add some pics directly to this thread but this has not been a photo journalism project and often I rushed to take photos before various bits and pieces had been tidied up, properly mounted, wiring cleaned up etc.

Or alternatively after the photos were taken I subsequently made furhter modifications on parts that are now internal (such as the kit I made for installing the Andreanni race cartridges in my bike.)

There are a few pics here

the photos have been taken in no particular order and the bike has never been off the road for more than two days since the bottom end was rebuilts. So it has been a fairly haphazard build. But doing this way has in most cases given me a chance to test each mod discretely and no the effect it has had on performance or handling.

For intance the first build of the front forks used RaceTech gold valves and springs and I compare those forks directly with the final iteration.

Now that everything is in place and operational I will start to tidy up things.

Last edited by FastBikeGear; Feb 17th, 2014 at 5:11 pm.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2014, 9:08 pm Thread Starter

Some exhaust pics below and a youtube video clip my son made after we bolted the exhaust on for the first time....

FastBikeGear.co.nz Spark slip-on Ducati - YouTube

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frankencati_exhaust_01.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	340921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frankencati_Exhaust.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	340929  

Last edited by FastBikeGear; Feb 17th, 2014 at 1:31 am.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2014, 10:48 pm Thread Starter

Some pics of the Andreani race cartridges.

The pics shown below of the internals were taken before I revised a few of the parts. Shiny alloy part on top of the cartridge is a spring seat that better centralises/locates the spring.

The long black bit is an internal spring guide that I made to stop the spring bowing and touching the inner side of the fork tubes. I changed the design of the spacers and made and under cap bump stop after these photos were taken.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Frankencati_Andreani_02.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	340937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frankencati_Andreani_03.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	340945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frankencati_Andreani_fitted.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	340953  

Last edited by FastBikeGear; Feb 17th, 2014 at 1:32 am.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2014, 10:52 pm Thread Starter

Some pics of the replacement brake disc carriers we made. Photo of the finished one is from a set I sold to someone (Devian) on this forum.

These ones are made from 7075-T6 and are HARD anodised and then coloured using a proprietary two step process. The orginals were made from a soft 6000 series alloy and I wore out two sets after about 18,000 km on each set before I decided a proper engineering solution was called for.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Frankencati_carriers_01.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	340961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frankencati_carriers_02.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	340969  

post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2014, 10:53 pm Thread Starter

What else would you like pics of?

post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2014, 11:47 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastBikeGear View Post
What else would you like pics of?
The whole bike from different angles please.

Opinions are like arseholes - everyone has one...
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2014, 12:13 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by damossguy View Post
The whole bike from different angles please.
It looks pretty standard which was part of the intent.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	340985  

post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2014, 4:42 am

Can't look, don't do Facebook Any pics anywhere else.

1976 Honda 400/4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode