An interesting SS website - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2006, 5:42 am Thread Starter

An interesting SS website

I've been doing some reading about the Supersports as I get ready to maybe/probably buy one, mostly in regards to engine or performance upgrades.

Anyway, I happened upon this guy's website, which I read most of. Just thought I'd share it with the rest of you.

The following segment is from when he talked about his steering damper, and I thought it was pretty funny, if not all together true.

Cheers!

badass916sp

I DID NOT WRITE IT.

It's from:
http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/~peer/Welcome.html

STEERING DAMPER
It's hard, if not impossible to opt for a steering damper (or any product for that matter) without first testing several of them.. and preferable do so with an A/B test. Unfortunately, there are few products on the market that frown upon any testing at all, making us trust what we hear and read about them. So in my case I trusted the quite prevalent idea which suggests Ohlins' superiority. Though, being a Swedish product, and moreover an expensive one, I'd now acknowledge the Ohlins damper to be one of the few add-on parts which I'm the most happy with. The following was written the day after I mounted it on my bike:

After Kim Le Baron insisted to incorporate a couple of Swedish made head-bearings on my Ducati, I thought I might as well go for a Swedish steering-damper -- well, being a Norwegian, it felt almost like if my bike had contracted a disease. Anyway, some of you might know that the Ohlins comes without any mounting brackets, so I ordered these from Street & Competition (1-800-326-5487) for 83 bucks. After waiting an entire week I finally got them yesterday, but unfortunately found that the frame-bracket didn't fit (being 22 mm instead of 20 mm). Well hell, I got so freaking mad that I couldn't sleep.. just staring (or perhaps; steering) up the ceiling. So later on, in the middle of the night I went to the garage and tried a hack to fit that sucker on.. using some hard leather to fill the 2 mm gap -- and it worked!! Well I didn't get back to bed until 7am though, and shortly thereafter, (as I was dreaming about.. steeringdampers), my ex calls and wakes me up -- "bla blaha bla".

After a sleepy conversation with her I jump back into bed, but then I suddenly remember; I GOT AN OHLINS ON MY BIKE -- so on with helmet & leathers and off I go. I decide to go up Page Mill Road (for the SF bay-area locals) which has several turns where I always get into tank-slapping. However, this time no sign of the slightest head shake -- man, what a difference!! As I was riding the bike as if it was on rails, I made a fast hang-off turn, and who's sitting there.. in a white car.. with something on its roof... looking like a ski-rack..?!

Well, of course it's the Highway Patrol. What can I do, besides gas it (this is a very Ducati friendly road) -- I figure that before he manage to turn his cage around, I'm back home.. sleeping .. not really, but at least there's no way anyone could catch a Ducati on this road.. unless they use a helicopter and a F-16 and/or radio ahead or something.

Well too early to celebrate; shortly thereafter I pass another Highway Patrol, (and this is on a road where we hardy ever see any cops). Now, I'm peeing my pants. So I continue in a speed of.. say, above "average".. up on Skyline, heading north toward Alice's, and as I headed into the wooded area (believe it or not) while I pass a car on double yellow, I meet a third Patrol car.. now I dump in my pants (and now you start to wonder how I gonna get my leathers cleaned..?).

But my concern is whether there's a highway patrol-convention in this area or if those dudes are just too occupied by eating doughnuts and observing the scenery, and therefor might not hear my howling Termignonis and see my smoking knee-pucks..? Anyhow, I turn right on Woodside at Alice's and successively start to slow down as if I was on my daily commute to work. So there you have it -- the Ohlins is a heck of a product and is now tested up against the California Highway Patrol -- all for your convenience.

There's nothing more life-reaffirming than knowing you could die at any second. (",)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:19 am

I've been down those roads. BEAUTIFUL ride. Turn right at Alices (or left depending on which direction you come from, but it's a three way intersection so only one way to go) and head down that road is where they have La Ducati day. That road also takes you all the way to the coast. I have never been south of Alices but I would love to go back and check it out.

'04 800SS...Strati Pipes, 42t sproket, DiD chain, Evoluzione fender eliminator, ABM Rotors, Carbon Lorane pads, Cogent-Dynamics Forks & Ohlins Shock.

'05 749s...Termi 54mm full system, 41t sproket, DiD chain, Evoluzione fender eliminator, PCIII/custom map, Pazzo Levers, Puig DB Windscreen, Penske Shock, CRS Forks, CF everything.

www.ducati-owners-group.com

"Freedom, for those who fought for it, has a flavor the protected will never know..."
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:44 pm Thread Starter

Very foggy sometimes right! A bit cold to ride bikes, I guess.

What's the name of those roads up where all the old bunkers are? There's the museum there too... has Rodin's Thinker in front or it, and you can see Golden Gate from there.

There's nothing more life-reaffirming than knowing you could die at any second. (",)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2006, 6:31 am

I think what you are talking abou is on the North side of the GGB. You get off the freeway right across the bridge at that rest area/senic outlook place. There's a road somewhere around there to get across the freeway and you just take those roads back through there.

'04 800SS...Strati Pipes, 42t sproket, DiD chain, Evoluzione fender eliminator, ABM Rotors, Carbon Lorane pads, Cogent-Dynamics Forks & Ohlins Shock.

'05 749s...Termi 54mm full system, 41t sproket, DiD chain, Evoluzione fender eliminator, PCIII/custom map, Pazzo Levers, Puig DB Windscreen, Penske Shock, CRS Forks, CF everything.

www.ducati-owners-group.com

"Freedom, for those who fought for it, has a flavor the protected will never know..."
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2006, 7:31 pm
Prolific Poster Award

There are WWII bunkers on both sides of the bridge. On the south side turn into the parking lot prior to the bridge and go under 101. You will find bunkers on the right side. On the North side you take the first exit after the bridge (not the vista point) and go left through a tunnel. I think that takes you up to the most scenic points overlooking SF. There are a lot of bunkers up there and also I believe an old Nike base. Uh, not shoes but ground to air missle installation.

Present:08 1800 Goldwing,03 999R#189,Past:03 FLHRI Road King, 09 1125CR Buell, 07 1100S MTS, 04 999S, 95 916, 01 900SS, 05 600RR, 05 600RR totalled, 66 650 BSA, 68 Honda DOHC

Ducati-Owners-Group of Sacramento region.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode